Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Buying a boat - help and advice please!

Buying a boat - help and advice please!

Old May 2nd 2018, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buying a boat - help and advice please!

I have a fiscal no, will shortly have residencia, in Tomar, and also hold the ICC with inland waterways endorcement. I am looking for a bowrider about 6m with 4 stroke outboard, not stern drive, for use on lago azul.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I am really a lamb to the slaughter, as it will be my first boat purchase!

I also would like to know if anyone has bought a new or used boat from elsewhere in Europe, and imported it to Portugal. Was it an administrative nightmare, or was it reasonably straightforward, and were there additional taxes to pay?

Many thanks!

Ps. Haven’t yet bought our house, and are renting. My priorities are right!
Old May 2nd 2018, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

fergus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Buying a boat - help and advice please!

I have a boat, bought second hand, registered as Portuguese. Process was relatively easy. As usual you need to check that there are no debts with boat and owner is who they say they are. If I remember right I got the owner to come to my bank, had my bank check all the details and ensure there were no debts, etc. I made sure I had log book and got bank to witness sale document. Only when I had all this did I ask the bank, if they thought it was okay, to transfer the money. All done whilst the owner was present. After that I needed to go to the civil contracts place (Loja do Cidadão) and for about €5 they recorded the sale and change of ownership. Since then several people have suggested I put it on the SSR and forget the Portuguese registration, don't pay tax and so on. But I have kept it all legit in Portugal so that when I come to sell it can be bought by expat or Portuguese buyer. It also came with trailer and these have their own registration documents.
Old May 2nd 2018, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute

Very useful, Fergus, thanks.

I’m also wondering about the possibility of importing from elsewhere in the EU - boats seem to be much cheaper outside Portugal.
Old May 2nd 2018, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

We have a similar but slightly different situation. Boat in the UK that we will want to move out in the next 3 to 4 years. Both have our ICC but will need to do the powerboat test because of the length and engine size. Used to sail but switched to a mobo about a year ago.