Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Bureaucracy and mental health

Bureaucracy and mental health

Old Sep 23rd 2021, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really nice
Default Re: Bureaucracy and mental health

It was hubby's birthday (72) last month (August). He used Gracy for Driving License Renewal and received his plastic card last week.
Old Sep 24th 2021, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

m2m2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sunseeker1st
We use GB InPort owned and operated by Gracy Biss, Ricardo and Liliana. Their offices are at Rua do Viveiro, Lote 4. 3D in Lagoa located next to the Finanças.

Landline 282 341 888 Gracy mobile 965 084 828 Ricardo mobile 966 008 190

We have used the Biss's for over 13 years, residencias, driving licences (age over 70) etc. Friends used them on our recommendation for matriculating cars from UK and Spain.
Thanks, good info. Is this type of service available all over Portugal or only in places where many expats live?
Old Sep 24th 2021, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by m2m2012
Thanks, good info. Is this type of service available all over Portugal or only in places where many expats live?
There is an ever increasing amount which can be done online, but for things which really need to be there in person you'll probably have more luck around Algarve or the bigger cities. In Lisbon, I had some support from this company and found them helpful: https://www.newway.pt/en/ My new employer put me in touch and paid for some things, but we also paid for a couple of things ourselves and they were pretty reasonable costs

You could also try this (newish) service, which is an interesting combination of info articles and (I think) a kind of advertising/introduction service for assistance. I haven't used them myself, but their articles are pretty good: https://www.lisbob.net/
Old Sep 24th 2021, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Lelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant future

At the risk of being shouted down, I have to say I've never needed the services of a gestor or agency. Perhaps we have been divinely spared the experiences of many who find the day to day processes so onerous and insurmountable.

A lot of research, translation, and patience seems to have worked thus far without recourse to paid assistance. Admittedly we didn't attempt to matriculate a car, preferring to buy new at a price very comparable to UK main dealerships.

Last edited by Lelandy; Sep 24th 2021 at 6:57 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Sep 24th 2021, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

SgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lelandy
At the risk of being shouted down, I have to say I've never needed the services of a gestor or agency. Perhaps we have been divinely spared the experiences of many who find the day to day processes so onerous and insurmountable.

A lot of research, translation, and patience seems to have worked thus far without recourse to paid assistance. Admittedly we didn't attempt to matriculate a car, preferring to by new at a price very comparable to UK main dealerships.
Same with us so far, although I'm not dusputing anyone's negative experiences.

Any impasse with a government institution could eventually (and quite promptly) be resoved through SolvIt, but that option is no longer available for British passport holders.

https://ec.europa.eu/solvit/index_pt.htm
Old Sep 24th 2021, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lelandy
I fully appreciate what you say. Guess we are lazy retired folk. We get by in Portuguese but choose not to get up at the crack of dawn to drive to Faro and queue. I have had health/mobility issues for eight years now which have not helped. In coming here for 37 years, owning for 33 years and living permanently for 17 years we choose to have a easy life when it comes to bureaucracy and would rather pay a professional SHOULD a problem arise. It doesn't cost that much (maybe 60 Euros) especially when you take into account one's time and transport expenses.

We have only had one "bad" experience in all these years and it was when Worten had a photo developing center in AlgarveShopping. Otherwise, easy sailing living here, adore the Portuguese and all their foibles.

PS I would like to add we are thankful we were here for my five major ops and Hubby's one and all the follow ups still ongoing rather than in he UK.

Last edited by Sunseeker1st; Sep 24th 2021 at 7:26 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2021, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Bureaucracy and mental health

Originally Posted by m2m2012
Saw this comment on a website with a news article about parcels from outside the EU being delayed by the post office and customs:

"I have decided not to buy anything that I previously bought online from anybody, including from Portuguese suppliers. I can't afford to waste my time. I'll just wait a year or so until they manage to sort themselves out. Mind you I think a year or two might be optimistic. We are still waiting to get a doctor here after more than 18 months, the alternative is to turn up at another health centre at 3am on Saturday if I need a doctor. Currently I'm considering selling up and going back to the UK, the dream is being destroyed by Portuguese beaurocracy, I've pumped more than €200,000 into the economy over the last 5 years." By Steve from Beiras

Sounds like he's at the end of his tether. From a mental health perspective, what's the best way to deal with constant mindless bureaucracy?
Well I've just concluded a 5 week stay in Portugal with a week in Beja and the rest spent in Albufeira. Overall it was good trip; the weather was great and I liked the people and the cities I stayed in. Of course, a 5 week trip doesn't really give you much of an insight as to what it would be like living somewhere permanently.

Notable incidents during my stay:

-On my 2nd or 3rd night in Albufeira at around 5am I heard two loud explosions then shouting. Turns out the police raided the apartment opposite mine and I believe used explosives to take out the front door and/or used flash grenades when they entered. Good to see police going after possible "bad guys". A lot of stories on the internet that say Portuguese police are hopeless and corrupt...on that night at least they were doing what you expect police to do.

-I entered Portugal unvaccinated and the first thing I did after receiving a local sim card was register online as a foreigner for the jab. In theory everyone living in Portugal including undocumented migrants can receive a vaccination. I never received and email and call as the website said I would. Anyway, one day I noticed that next to a large supermarket was a vaccination center in a large hall. Despite me not being a resident or having any ties whatsoever to Portugal they gave me the 1st dose of Pfizer there and then after I showed my ID and filled out some forms. Everyone there spoke English including the security guard at the entrance. So there you go; others who are residents of Portugal with all the correct paperwork have gone through hell on earth to get vaccinated, while I turn up unannounced and receive it no questions asked. See:
Covid questions

-I had to visit the emergency department of a public hospital on two different occasions late at night. On both occasions got to see a triage nurse within 5m of arriving then a doctor about 5-10m after that. Everyone there spoke at least okay English, and the facilities there seemed okay too. With no type of health card I had to pay out of my pocket. Cost for each visit was about 70 euros. On my second visit I spent many hours there and had various tests and treatments...such a visit in the USA would have costs a least 10x more.

-Long distance buses were new, comfortable and cheap

-Cost of going to a cafe for a duplo coffee, bola de berlim, or 50grms of local spirits etc, is very cheap.

Anyway, it was a good 1st trip there. To make a clear eyed decision about moving there I think I need to spend more time there and get more information relevant to my particular circumstances.

Last edited by m2m2012; Nov 21st 2021 at 12:09 am.
Old Nov 21st 2021, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Old Nov 21st 2021, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

nigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nice

My own personal favourite Portuguese bureaucracy tale…

I moved to Portugal from the Far East, so having my belongings sent to Portugal was complicated. It involved drawing up an inventory of my belongings – quite reasonably. But when I took it to the Consulate the man I was dealing with picked it up with fastidious distaste. It was only three pages of double-sided A4. He produced some other inventories as examples: fat folders of 10 or 15 pages.

I was sent away to fatten my inventory, which I did by widening margins, enlarging fonts, using single-sided. Also instead of putting “about 100 books” I listed dozens of titles.

This time it was accepted. He was not hostile or unsympathetic – in fact he gave me his business card. He had a PhD from Coimbra University (the Portuguese Oxbridge).

He was of the older generation, and as others have said that mind-set is slipping out of the system.
Old Nov 21st 2021, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nigel.b
My own personal favourite Portuguese bureaucracy tale…

I moved to Portugal from the Far East, so having my belongings sent to Portugal was complicated. It involved drawing up an inventory of my belongings – quite reasonably. But when I took it to the Consulate the man I was dealing with picked it up with fastidious distaste. It was only three pages of double-sided A4. He produced some other inventories as examples: fat folders of 10 or 15 pages.

I was sent away to fatten my inventory, which I did by widening margins, enlarging fonts, using single-sided. Also instead of putting “about 100 books” I listed dozens of titles.

This time it was accepted. He was not hostile or unsympathetic – in fact he gave me his business card. He had a PhD from Coimbra University (the Portuguese Oxbridge).

He was of the older generation, and as others have said that mind-set is slipping out of the system.
Turned away because your inventory was too short! I wonder if he considered a short inventory a sign the you are cheating in some way or at the very least cutting corners ?