British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   The Brits are coming! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/brits-coming-937275/)

bons Feb 23rd 2021 10:01 am

The Brits are coming!

There's been a surge in holiday bookings since Johnson revealed his roadmap to freedom, the Algarve being one of the popular destinations. Get ready...

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...ealed-12226330

chislenko Feb 23rd 2021 11:56 am

Re: The Brits are coming!

A bit presumptuous if the recieving countries of all these holidaymakers are not on track with their Vaccinations.

ouriquejan Feb 23rd 2021 3:08 pm

I had to go down to the Algarve today - it was sooooo quiet.

Fredbargate Feb 23rd 2021 3:33 pm

I'm in London at the moment, very few masks/social distancing in the street, but OK in shops.
So we must wait to see the outcome

chislenko Feb 23rd 2021 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by ouriquejan (Post 12976652)
I had to go down to the Algarve today - it was sooooo quiet.

What's the current situation now Jan, is the stay in your own council area type ruling over now or was it just at certain times?
Must admit I am not even looking at coming over until the back end of the year, hopefully better times will be around for everyone by then.

ouriquejan Feb 23rd 2021 4:54 pm

I had an opticians appointment (well, I didn't until I got there - bit naughty) . We can travel outside of our district during the week, for essential travel, hospitals, dentists etc. The week-ends, no, you stay in your district. Unless for a medical type emergency. For example, I'm in the Ourique district, Castro Verde, where there is an urgençia, is in a different district. So I would have to have a big medical problem to go there. The police are around, although we didn't see one today.

All of the clothing, shoe cork shops were shut in Algarve shopping. Conforama, Casa were open, but had red and white tape around most of the displays. So my sheets, although almost see-through will have to do for now.

The infection numbers are coming down, it was just over 500 yesterday, but back to just over 1,000 today.

wellinever Feb 23rd 2021 8:36 pm

LOL....you wont want to come here as hardly anyone jabbed and no idea when that might happen.
OK if its proven that the jab protects and not then transmitted but if not, keep clear until this lot have gotten some sort of handle on it. Esp if UK kids are not vaccinated by summer.
Roads in Algarve almost a s busy as normal, no police ever seen, Leroy Merlin (equiv to a very large Band Q fully open for private individuals), only thing you cant buy are curtains/pictures and wall paper, rest of store open as normal. 10 minute queues to check out all in a line.
Apart from cafes and restaurants not being open for me its just like normal non covid days......but no sun and cold, until today.

chislenko Feb 23rd 2021 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by wellinever (Post 12976789)
LOL....you wont want to come here as hardly anyone jabbed and no idea when that might happen.
OK if its proven that the jab protects and not then transmitted but if not, keep clear until this lot have gotten some sort of handle on it. Esp if UK kids are not vaccinated by summer.

Yes, this was the point I was making above, loads of vaccinated people coming over to potentially loads of unvaccinated people and the science not yet telling us if vaccinated people can pass it on.

In my book, whilst I appreciate local businesses want the British money, if the vaccination doesn't stop transmission they should be staying at home to help protect those who are still awaiting the vaccine protection.

​​​​​​

​​​​​​