Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

British foods in Northern Portugal?

British foods in Northern Portugal?

Old Jul 22nd 2012, 8:19 pm
Banned

sir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: British foods in Northern Portugal?

[QUOTE=loonytoon;10184539]
Originally Posted by sir recorder
Anyone importing good ... fresh real orange juice, etc..

who in their right mind would import fresh orange juice to Portugal?

jeff
Someone who realises there is a market (riches to be made from) for a higher quality product than juice made from concentrate in a pack.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 8:31 pm
Banned

sir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by gedscottish
__________________________________________________ _________
have you tried the supermarket in "el corte ingles"(think thats how its written) not sure if they have a huge selection but and I was not really looking when I went but I did pick up bisto gravy granules
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Corte_Ingl%C3%A9s

El Corte Inglés

The branch in Lisbon has a large supermarket attached.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Sri Pete is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for these many suggestions.

peterfc, I have looked into getting things shipped from Britain before and decided, because of shipping costs and other matters, I would rather carry stuff in myself when I visit other countries.

sir recorder, I found an excellent English marmalade at a gourmet store in Lisbon last year -- maybe the best I have ever had. And I will stock up from there any chance I have in future.

I have tried the largest Continente and Jumbo supermarkets in the Porto area and found none of the things I want. It's good to hear that Continente has cocoa in other areas.

gedscottish, No, I have not tried supermarkets in El Corte Ingles. I am aware of that store but had not realized that they sold food at all. I will now check them out when I can find the opportunity. Thanks.

steve01, Thank you very much for your offer -- I may take you up on that in future. As it is, I happen to be holidaying in the Algarve at this moment where, as I fully expected, it is much easier to find British things. At a little mercado in Tavira, I found oatcakes and Marmite. I will be ferrying back a good supply!