Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

bringing UK car to Portugal?

bringing UK car to Portugal?

Old Dec 26th 2020, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point
Default bringing UK car to Portugal?

OK... I've decded that on my next trip to UK I shall bring my car back.

I've applied for the licence exchange, but as I've heard nothing in two and a half months, I'm not expecting that I will be able to do this before I have a Portuguese licence.

Six months after registering residency (CRUE) is the cut-off date for presenting application to IMT, right? Presumably this can be done with the car already in the country?

What documentation do I need? I obviously have the registration certificate, and service receipts proving ownership for longer than six months.

As I understand it, I definitely don't need a Certificate of Conformity if it's a standard unmodified car (Hyundai i10, 2012)?

Many thanks for clarifying my confusion on this

Old Dec 26th 2020, 11:15 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: bringing UK car to Portugal?

I'd have a read of both this and this to start with.

I think they've probably covered everything between the pair.
Old Dec 26th 2020, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks, Eric! Still can't find anything specific on whether Certificate of Conformity is required, on the gov.uk site (which is surprisingly useful!). I can't seem to access the Portuguese site from here - maybe because the server doesn't work well with access from abroad, or something?

Basically the idea is you bring the car in, and then aply immediately? To IMT, or the Alfandega/AT?
Old Dec 26th 2020, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Normally a certificate of conformity is not required if the vehicle was issued with plates in an EU country and you import into another.
In order to be imported into EU in the first place, it must have such a certificate.
If you do need one, you could try applying to Hyundai UK directly quoting your VIN number.

Old Dec 26th 2020, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks. I did already apply to Hyundai (just in case). They ignored me, twice by email and once by post. And their local dealership did the same.

As regards the EU bit, how will that work with Brexit? Obviously the vehicle WAS imported into the EU, but...

Old Dec 27th 2020, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Should be OK.
Old Dec 27th 2020, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suiko
Thanks, Eric! Still can't find anything specific on whether Certificate of Conformity is required, on the gov.uk site (which is surprisingly useful!). I can't seem to access the Portuguese site from here - maybe because the server doesn't work well with access from abroad, or something?

Basically the idea is you bring the car in, and then aply immediately? To IMT, or the Alfandega/AT?
You will probably need the Certificate of Conformity even if it is an EU registered car, I certainly did bringing one in from Spain. Process done by Alfandega and you will need a local vehicle inspection which can be arranged a selected test sites.
Bring with you as many months as you can of utility bills and you will need a certificate of exiting UK to take up residence in Portugal , normally done via British Consulate in Lisbon as UK Town Halls not familiar with the concept.
Old Dec 27th 2020, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

OK, thanks! But how the hell does one get the certificate, given that Hyundai and the dealership clearly have no intention whatsoever of helping me?

But the process, in any case, involves bringing the car first and then dealing with it all once in Portugal?

Old Dec 27th 2020, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suiko
OK, thanks! But how the hell does one get the certificate, given that Hyundai and the dealership clearly have no intention whatsoever of helping me?

But the process, in any case, involves bringing the car first and then dealing with it all once in Portugal?
The dealer is responsible for it, otherwise theoretically he cannot sell the car. Start there and keep up the pressure
Old Dec 27th 2020, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

I've tried, three times. It's pointless though, they just ignore me!
Old Dec 27th 2020, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

coleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond repute

I've got COCs from the UK office of manufacturer, from agents specializing in COCs (just search something like Hyundi COC UK) but if you can prove vehicle is over 10 years old - check UK V5 reg doc you don't need a COC even if importing from outside the EU (or UK) for registering within the EU (or UK).
Old Dec 28th 2020, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_custom...bringing_in_an

https://beportugal.com/import-a-car-to-portugal/

there is plenty of info available via Google.
Old Dec 28th 2020, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks. Car is eight years old. So it needs COC if it's newer but not if it's older?! Go figure....

Do these things really cost £150?!

Last edited by suiko; Dec 28th 2020 at 10:26 am.
Old Jan 4th 2021, 8:47 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

How if at all does the process change now that the UK is outside the EU ?

It is still the case that the car in question ( mine ) was originally manufactured in the EU ( a Renault Clio ).

Also............on the ten years old thing meaning that a COC is not required............... what is the reference for that exemption ?

The people whom I am in discussion with over re registering my 2006 Clio state that a COC is absolutely required and only I can obtain it ( Renault promised to email me on the issue then didn't .)
Old Jan 4th 2021, 1:31 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
How if at all does the process change now that the UK is outside the EU ?
It probably depends on whether you are bringing it in as a new resident, or as an existing resident or a non-resident, as to whether it will be worth your while.

If you're not resident or you're not bringing it in within the allowed time for importation of personal effects when you move, my understanding is that you will have to pay IVA at 23% on the purchase price. Furthermore, the ISV will be calculated as though the vehicle were new, as opposed to allowing for depreciation with age.

The annual circulation tax will also be calculated as for a new vehicle.

Originally Posted by riv
Also............on the ten years old thing meaning that a COC is not required............... what is the reference for that exemption ?

The people whom I am in discussion with over re registering my 2006 Clio state that a COC is absolutely required and only I can obtain it ( Renault promised to email me on the issue then didn't .)
I'd be interested to know that.

There's a normally very reliable site (impostosobreveiculos.info) which says that it's obligatory to get national approval for every individual vehicle and that a certificate of conformity is a must on all vehicles manufactured from 1996 (when the CoC was introduced) onwards. It then says it "could be necessary" to present that during the legalisation process for imported vehicles but it doesn't mention any conditions under which it is dispensed with.

There's a link to that page here - it also contains info about a company which might be able to get you a CoC at a lower price, as an alternative to you going direct to the manufacturer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.