Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Breathalysers for France

Breathalysers for France

Old Jul 30th 2013, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

nigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nice
Default Breathalysers for France

Does anyone know:
(a) what they're called in French?
(b) if they are available at service stations in Spain near the border?
Thanks.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

steve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Breathalysers for France

This is from the AA -
but if you still feel the need to carry one - most french supermarkets sell them for under a euro - éthylotest is the name to look for.
How silly those Frenchies are - its illegal not to have one - but there isn't any penalty
'Do u ave un Breatiliser Englieesh driver' - 'No' 'Well let this nothing be a lesson to u - and don't do eet again' - c'est la vie

January 2013 - the French government announced that the implementation of the sanction for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11 – has been postponed indefinitely.

So theoretically you are still required to carry a self-test breathalyser when driving in France but there is no current legislation demanding a fine for non-compliance.

The original official announcement stated that one unused, certified breathalyser must be produced showing the French certification mark NF. Carrying two single-use breathalysers will ensure that if one is used or damaged, you will still have a spare to produce. The breathalyser produced has to be in date - single-use breathalysers normally have a validity of twelve months.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 11:09 am
House sitting in Portugal

s5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nice

They are "scantily" available in France but for the price I don't think it's worth incurring the wrath of the Gendarmes. They can always find something to fine you for, legislation or no!!
The reason the legislation has been postponed is that shops couldn't supply the demand!
Alcootest is French for breathalyser.
If you manage to find them in Spain remember they should have the NF symbol on the packets.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 1:41 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

you can get them online at Amazon

one of the problems is a French minister awarded part of the contract to a friend of his - Quell surprise.
but the 2 manufacturers haven't been able to supply enough for every French driver, and the biggest sales are in the UK - surprising how many wanted to be legal just in case they should go to France.
but remember they have a limited lifespan.

it will probably be like 2 warning triangles, spare light bulbs and hi-vis jackets, nice to have if the gendarme's get stroppy and start going down their list of "must-have's" but how many actually obey the law ??
not the French
Old Jul 30th 2013, 4:14 pm
Account Closed

LordMayor is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Domino
you can get them online at Amazon

one of the problems is a French minister awarded part of the contract to a friend of his - Quell surprise.
but the 2 manufacturers haven't been able to supply enough for every French driver, and the biggest sales are in the UK - surprising how many wanted to be legal just in case they should go to France.
but remember they have a limited lifespan.

it will probably be like 2 warning triangles, spare light bulbs and hi-vis jackets, nice to have if the gendarme's get stroppy and start going down their list of "must-have's" but how many actually obey the law ??
not the French
Beathalyser in French: ethylotest. Alcotest is more used for the alcohol controls by the Police.
For your information: there is a big tolerance for no having spare light bulbs. It is nowadays impossible you change them yourself, or if you cannot, the police or the Gendarmerie help you to do it, as the law says. The actual systems are so complex that only professionals can fix or change them.
The two triangles are obligatory, so are the warning lights and two reflective vests.
I may surprise you but most of the French respect the law! Could I answer you with that question: How many Brits obey the law when abroad? You would be, once more, surprised....
Last info: I am French....

Last edited by LordMayor; Jul 30th 2013 at 4:18 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 4:25 pm
Account Closed

LordMayor is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just checked on the net. The breathalysers are obligatory (one) but if you do not have it, the police CANNOT fine you. The reason: the lack of reliability of some of these breath testers...
Old Jul 30th 2013, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

nigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nice

Thanks for the answers, everyone. The situation seems a bit ridiculous, but I will get two ethylotests!
Old Jul 30th 2013, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud of

A bit of British nonesense
In response to this some UK companies started to sell them Halfords / cross channel ferries etc.
The average cost was £5.50 each £11 for the 2 necessary - meaning the fine in France for not having them 11 euros was lower than the cost of buying them on route -
On a recent trip all of the big supermarkets in France had them by the sweetie counter at the check-out - ironically no where near the booze at around 80c each
Old Jul 31st 2013, 6:51 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LordMayor
Beathalyser in French: ethylotest. Alcotest is more used for the alcohol controls by the Police.
For your information: there is a big tolerance for no having spare light bulbs. It is nowadays impossible you change them yourself, or if you cannot, the police or the Gendarmerie help you to do it, as the law says. The actual systems are so complex that only professionals can fix or change them.
The two triangles are obligatory, so are the warning lights and two reflective vests.
I may surprise you but most of the French respect the law! Could I answer you with that question:
How many Brits obey the law when abroad?
You would be, once more, surprised....

Last info: I am French....
I do, but that doesn't surprise me even if it surprises you.
And I am English.
But I couldn't give a damn if the others get caught, I am as squeeky clean as my car.
But nationality has nothing to do with it, it is a generalisation that creeps into one's perception based on biased media reports and expat chatter.

As to lights - many cars have sealed beams (something that I thought went out in the 70's) and it isn't possible to change the bulbs but the whole unit - which in my case is €400 + labour.

Last edited by Domino; Jul 31st 2013 at 6:53 am.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 7:08 am
House sitting in Portugal

s5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nice

You apparently need a special tool to change even the sidelights on some Citroens, and possibly others! However, spare bulbs are NOT mandatory in EU driving, except Croatia. see below.
Whatever the chart says, if the authorities want to fine you, they will, then it's up to you to get retribution if you can!

Thus I make sure I carry everything I can, drive sensibly (most times) and treat any police with respect and courtesy.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice..._equipment.pdf

Last edited by s5tuart; Jul 31st 2013 at 7:14 am.