Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Holiday renting in Portugal

Holiday renting in Portugal

Old Oct 8th 2017, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

miramar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Holiday renting in Portugal

I see so many resident and non-resident people talking about renting their apartment/home when they are away and have no idea of the legal requirement to do this. Portuguese law requires that any apartment, home, or even single bedroom be licensed and comply with all the requirements, fire extinguishers, complaint book, license number displayed in advertisements, etc.

Money acquired from rentas (over the minimum amount) will trigger a requirement to file a tax return and pay tax.

If you look on AirBnB, and other rental web pages, you will see less than 10% of people are complying with the law, as evidenced by not displaying their license number.

I've been told by the authorities that they will be checking such web pages and will start imposing fines.

Just want to inform those that may not know of such requirements.

Portugal rental licence, the Alojamento Local
Old Oct 19th 2017, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

SilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really nice
Default Re: Holiday renting in Portugal

I see so many resident and non-resident people talking about renting their apartment/home when they are away and have no idea of the legal requirement to do this. Portuguese law requires that any apartment, home, or even single bedroom be licensed and comply with all the requirements, fire extinguishers, complaint book, license number displayed in advertisements, etc.

Licence holders have to inform SEF three days upon arrival and departure of any non portuguese guests staying at their properties.

Money acquired from rentas (over the minimum amount) will trigger a requirement to file a tax return and pay tax.

You might end up paying Capital Gains Tax when you eventually give up your licence.

If you look on AirBnB, and other rental web pages, you will see less than 10% of people are complying with the law, as evidenced by not displaying their license number.

From of July this year companies such as AirBnb will not post new listings without the owners submitting their licence numbers as they are now liable to pay fines along with the homeowners found breaking the law.

I've been told by the authorities that they will be checking such web pages and will start imposing fines.

There have been reports of people stealing genuine licence numbers and using them in their ads.

Good post, I hear people saying the same thing all the time.

Last edited by SilviaAlgarve; Oct 19th 2017 at 10:36 am.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

rollermum83 is on a distinguished road

What about the adverts they are already showing, I know people renting properties without the licence and no one seems to check.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough

We rent a house in the Algarve during 3 months and we need to pay 90% cash on arrival .......... Btw this house has a license. Of course the owner will pay Portuguese tax on the cash amount as well ......
Old Oct 21st 2017, 6:06 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pilou
Of course the owner will pay Portuguese tax on the cash amount as well ......
Of course you'll insist on him giving you a proper AL receipt for the full amount, which'll mean he'd be very unwise not to at least declare it
Old Oct 21st 2017, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Does anyone know the average price for someone to clean/ manage a 3 bed holiday townhouse. Bed change cleaning washing linen meet n greet.
Thanks
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

SilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really nice

Originally Posted by rollermum83
Does anyone know the average price for someone to clean/ manage a 3 bed holiday townhouse. Bed change cleaning washing linen meet n greet.
Thanks
Do you mean like an agency?
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pilou
We rent a house in the Algarve during 3 months and we need to pay 90% cash on arrival .......... Btw this house has a license. Of course the owner will pay Portuguese tax on the cash amount as well ......
I am not sure if you are joking on your last sentence but it sounds unlikely.
Did you receive a receipt?
Under the terms of the AL licence as far as I know guests cannot stay for longer than 30 days.
For a three month stay you and the owner would need to sign a "Contrato de arrendamento urbano" which the owner would need to register at Finanças and immediately pay 10% tax on the amount of monthly rent charged. Did you sign a rental contract?
If I am wrong, can someone please correct me?

Last edited by SilviaAlgarve; Oct 22nd 2017 at 7:41 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

What about the adverts they are already showing.
They were given a grace period to submit their licence numbers.
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SilviaAlgarve
Do you mean like an agency?
Either agency individual or couple .. I'm trying to get an idea of what price is usual ie around 50 euro per let including washing and greet or is it more based on each part being paid separately. Thanks
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Laundries would typically charge by weight, cleaners etc by time and meet & greet (and other 'management') functions may be based on any or all of a retainer, time and possibly a percentage of the value of the booking.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

Either agency individual or couple .. I'm trying to get an idea of what price is usual ie around 50 euro per let including washing and greet or is it more based on each part being paid separately. Thanks
Agencies will charge you around 30% of the booking fee to manage the property completely. Cleaning fees are extra.
I would not recommend hiring an individual or a couple.
I know of someone that hired a local to do this job and later found out through a neighbour that the lady was bringing all of her household's laundry plus her parent's to do at the house when it was empty which was for the most part of the year. He was paying €80 per month on water and electric bills and rather naively even called a plumber believing he had a leak.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

zoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nice

Do these laws apply equally to Portugese citizens and EU Expats?

One of the Portugese citizens in question is a new resident and the other is a returning resident who hasn't lived in Portugal his whole adult life, the last 50 years.

Originally Posted by SilviaAlgarve

Licence holders have to inform SEF three days upon arrival and departure of any non portuguese guests staying at their properties.

You might end up paying Capital Gains Tax when you eventually give up your licence.

From of July this year companies such as AirBnb will not post new listings without the owners submitting their licence numbers as they are now liable to pay fines along with the homeowners found breaking the law.

There have been reports of people stealing genuine licence numbers and using them in their ads.

Good post, I hear people saying the same thing all the time.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zoff
Do these laws apply equally to Portugese citizens and EU Expats? ...
Which laws?
Old Nov 27th 2017, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

zoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nice

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
Which laws?
Sorry. Tax laws that apply to apartment rentals. AL and such.

Links with clear info or the name of a good tax accountant in the Lagoa or Armação area would be very helpful

Last edited by zoff; Nov 27th 2017 at 11:23 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.