Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Bickering posts moved from Irish car Portugal thread

Bickering posts moved from Irish car Portugal thread

Old Feb 23rd 2018, 1:45 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bickering posts moved from Irish car Portugal thread

Originally Posted by EMR
Your vehicle has to be road legal in the country it us being driven in.
So Portuguese law will apply if you have an accident or if you are stopped at a check point.
So Portuguese law applies.
Read the small print on your policy.
It seems some Brits think that once they leave the UK the law of the country they are in do not apply to them.
How many would drive an untaxed, no mot, dodgy insurance vehicle in the UK.
In my area quite a few Polish & Romanians by the looks of it.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 2:01 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to sell our Irish-registered car in Portugal

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
In my area quite a few Polish & Romanians by the looks of it.
We are talking about Brits in Portugal , not your usual anti migrant views.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 2:28 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
We are talking about Brits in Portugal , not your usual anti migrant views.
You asked how many would drive a dodgy vehicle in the UK. I answered.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 2:31 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

You asked how many would drive a dodgy vehicle in the UK. I answered.
So nothing to do with Portugal or the behaviour of Brits in Portugal then.
Just your usual anti migrant nonsense.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 2:32 pm
Democracy advocate

Originally Posted by EMR
So nothing to do with Portugal or the behaviour of Brits in Portugal then.
Just your usual anti migrant nonsense.
Unlike your usual anti-Brit nonsense eh
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 2:47 pm
EMR
Banned

Unlike your usual anti-Brit nonsense eh
So wanting Brits who chose to live in Portugal to obey the laws in Portugal is anti Brit.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 3:30 pm
EMR
Banned

Originally Posted by tonisdad
Government website:
Car vehicle tax rates are based on either engine size or fuel type and CO2 emissions, depending on when the vehicle was registered.
(VED) (also known as "vehicle tax", "car tax" or "road tax", and formerly as a "tax disc") is a tax that is levied as an excise duty and which must be paid for most types of vehicles which are to be used (or parked) on public roads in the United KIngdom.
In other words applicable to UK nowhere else.
I will repeat common fallacy that car insurance is void if vehicle has no tax or test.....Car has to be deemed roadworthy and free from major defect for insurance to be valid. No more no less.

How many would drive an untaxed, no mot, dodgy insurance vehicle in the UK.
As already alluded to by another poster several...also add no driving license.
What people do in the UK has nothing to do with how Brits behave in Portugal.
I repeat again read the small print of your insurance policy.
If your car should not be on the road they do not have to pay up.
Strange how on this forum we have posters advocating avoiding Portuguese laws plus being a danger to other road users.
I regularly seen Brit cars pulled up by the GNR and do not feel any sympathy for them if they are overstated, no UK not, no UK tax and therefore dodgy insurance.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

tonisdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EMR
What people do in the UK has nothing to do with how Brits behave in Portugal.
Only being polite and replying to your previous post

I repeat again read the small print of your insurance policy.
If your car should not be on the road they do not have to pay up.
I have read the small print and nothing states insurance void if no tax or test.

Strange how on this forum we have posters advocating avoiding Portuguese laws plus being a danger to other road users.
Nobody is avoiding Portuguese laws it is a case of adhering to what laws apply to UK drivers and their vehicles.

I regularly seen Brit cars pulled up by the GNR and do not feel any sympathy for them.
Oh to be perfect

no UK tax and therefore dodgy insurance.
First job Monday contact Gov.UK and inform them they have it wrong regards car tax/excise duty..I was told so on an internet forum.

Old Feb 23rd 2018, 4:29 pm
EMR
Banned

First job Monday contact Gov.UK and inform them they have it wrong regards car tax/excise duty..I was told so on an internet forum.

Google , No tax, no Mot am I fully insured.
Read your insurance policy, you will find two very important clauses.Reference to the vehicle being legal when driven and to the insured withholding relevant information from the Insured.
Both could declare the policy null and void.
Then come back and apologise.

Are you suggesting driving a UK untaxed ,no UK Mot, dodgy insured car in Portugal.
Are you suggesting its OK to break the laws regarding vehicles in Portugal.
It's a simple black and white question .

Last edited by EMR; Feb 23rd 2018 at 4:40 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EMR
Google , No tax, no Mot am I fully insured.
Read your insurance policy, you will find two very important clauses.Reference to the vehicle being legal when driven and to the insured withholding relevant information from the Insured.
Both could declare the policy null and void.
Then come back and apologise.

Are you suggesting driving a UK untaxed ,no UK Mot, dodgy insured car in Portugal.
Are you suggesting its OK to break the laws regarding vehicles in Portugal.
It's a simple black and white question .
I have read mine I can`t find anything can you send me copy of yours?

Black and white answer...Watch my lips...vehicle excise duty applies to cars driven on UK roads look on Gov.UK official Government website.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 5:31 pm
EMR
Banned

I have read mine I can`t find anything can you send me copy of yours?

Black and white answer...Watch my lips...vehicle excise duty applies to cars driven on UK roads look on Gov.UK official Government website.
Give me your reg no so so can post it on every forum with a warning note.
Cars driven in Portugal have to be road legal in their country of registration.
You keep ignoring that it is Portuguese law that matters or maybe not to you.
Read the Ibex policy, just for one.
A policy sold to many Brits is Portugal and Spain.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

Grow up you two

it all depends whats stated on your policy - as always the devil is in the detail

IME most insurers cover you whether you have road tax or not
most insurers cover you whether you have mot or not
most insurers will not cover you if your car is unroadworthy

someone close the thread before ww3 breaks out
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 5:50 pm
EMR
Banned

Originally Posted by dingg
Grow up you two

it all depends whats stated on your policy - as always the devil is in the detail

No they do not.
End of.
The first thing the claims adjuster does is put the car reg into the DVLA site to check its road legal.
Checks ownership, etc.
A vehicle must be road legal to be on the road.

If a non Brit behaved in this way in the UK the Brits who do it in Portugal would be the first to complain about immigrants not following the rulex

Last edited by EMR; Feb 23rd 2018 at 6:04 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bickering posts moved from Irish car Portugal thread

it all depends whats on your policy some will cover some will not

end of - as thats the fact of the matter no matter how many times you want to disagree

I'll no bother replying again as its a waste of my time :-)
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dingg
Grow up you two

LOL he`s started on you now
Get the distinct impression that bloke is never wrong.You are the third person on this thread he has had a go at.
I`m not saying anymore on the matter....You can`t educate the uneducated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.