Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Best route to a cheap(ish) van

Best route to a cheap(ish) van

Old Oct 22nd 2019, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Juleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Best route to a cheap(ish) van

Hi Guys,

This is my first posting. I'm about to move to Portugal to renovate a building and need a van for the two years its going to take. I've heard that vans in Portugal are not the cheapest, yet I've also heard that importing a van from outside Portugal has its drawbacks as well (wrt to registration MoT etc).

I was considering buying a van in Spain then importing and registering in Portugal but wondered if anyone had done this or had a view on the cheapest way to do this.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Cheers,

Jules
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best route to a cheap(ish) van

Each adult new immigrant can matriculate/register 1 vehicle tax free if they & the vehicle fit the criteria but if you have to pay then it almost certainly won't be worth doing........ If it were then everyone would be doing it.
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juleskitoo
Hi Guys,

This is my first posting. I'm about to move to Portugal to renovate a building and need a van for the two years its going to take. I've heard that vans in Portugal are not the cheapest, yet I've also heard that importing a van from outside Portugal has its drawbacks as well (wrt to registration MoT etc).

I was considering buying a van in Spain then importing and registering in Portugal but wondered if anyone had done this or had a view on the cheapest way to do this.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Cheers,

Jules
You need to have owned it for at least one year if you wish to import it without a significant tax charge.
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

You can probably save a few euros by importing a van, IF you manage to conform to all the requirements to be exempted from the registration tax.

Older vehicles can be found with little or no rust in Portugal, and mechanics are cheaper than northern Europe; I suggest you buy a van locally, and use your time renovating that building.

https://www.olx.pt/carros-motos-e-ba...e%3Aasc&page=2
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Will the Van be staying full time in PT ,or will you be returning to UK periodically with the Van ?

Site for 2nd hand Commercial Vehicles

https://www.olx.pt/carros-motos-e-ba...scription%5D=1

Last edited by Ingles; Oct 23rd 2019 at 10:45 am.
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

Juleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
You need to have owned it for at least one year if you wish to import it without a significant tax charge.
Thanks - that might be the deal breaker.
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mfesharne
Each adult new immigrant can matriculate/register 1 vehicle tax free if they & the vehicle fit the criteria but if you have to pay then it almost certainly won't be worth doing........ If it were then everyone would be doing it.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction - having look a little more into this - its probs not worth the time or effort.
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ingles
Will the Van be staying full time in PT ,or will you be returning to UK periodically with the Van ?

Site for 2nd hand Commercial Vehicles

https://www.olx.pt/carros-motos-e-ba...scription%5D=1
It will definitely be coming back to the UK periodically. Does this have implications?

Last edited by Rosemary; Oct 23rd 2019 at 1:39 pm. Reason: corrected quote
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by liveaboard
You can probably save a few euros by importing a van, IF you manage to conform to all the requirements to be exempted from the registration tax.

Older vehicles can be found with little or no rust in Portugal, and mechanics are cheaper than northern Europe; I suggest you buy a van locally, and use your time renovating that building.

https://www.olx.pt/carros-motos-e-ba...e%3Aasc&page=2
Thanks - that's good advice. I'll take a look

Last edited by Rosemary; Oct 23rd 2019 at 1:40 pm. Reason: corrected quote
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Rules changed in the 2017 budget & current ones are that you have to have owned it & been a resident in the country of registration for 6 months beforehand instead of the former 12 months. have 12 months to begin the matriculation process instead of the former 6 months & now keep it for 1 year after instead of the former 5 years................... But confusingly, the EU law that states a foreign registered vehicle may only stay in Portugal for 6 months before beginning the matriculation process or being removed back to the country of registration for 6 more months has not changed.

Also, a registered resident of PT may not drive a foreign registered vehicle here unless they own it AND it has begun the matriculation process.
Old Oct 24th 2019, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juleskitoo
It will definitely be coming back to the UK periodically. Does this have implications?
This info MAY be well out off date , But back in the day ( 80's) you got a 6 months stay before your vehicle had to leave PT
I kept the ferry ticket in the van & showed it to the Police when I was stopped !
Old Oct 24th 2019, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ingles
This info MAY be well out off date , But back in the day ( 80's) you got a 6 months stay before your vehicle had to leave PT
I kept the ferry ticket in the van & showed it to the Police when I was stopped !
Thankyou. I'll check
Old Oct 24th 2019, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mfesharne
Rules changed in the 2017 budget & current ones are that you have to have owned it & been a resident in the country of registration for 6 months beforehand instead of the former 12 months. have 12 months to begin the matriculation process instead of the former 6 months & now keep it for 1 year after instead of the former 5 years................... But confusingly, the EU law that states a foreign registered vehicle may only stay in Portugal for 6 months before beginning the matriculation process or being removed back to the country of registration for 6 more months has not changed.

Also, a registered resident of PT may not drive a foreign registered vehicle here unless they own it AND it has begun the matriculation process.

Cheers, sounds a right palavar.