Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Best Portuguese Bank Account ?

Best Portuguese Bank Account ?

Old Oct 29th 2019, 7:45 am
Just Joined

spiggle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best Portuguese Bank Account ?

Thanks Chislenko, I'll try the missing zero
liveaboard - unfortunately I would need to evict the fat memory card occupying the extra slot. I use it to store podcats etc for travel
dingg - you were fortunate I have two of these tokens for both countries with the added bonus of having shelled out Euro 10 for each plus postage and constantly having to replace batteries
AliceCaroline - can't wait, DW had to drag me to the airport when we returned last week.....
Have a great day and thanks for the helpful suggestions

Spig
Old Oct 29th 2019, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spiggle
Thanks Chislenko, I'll try the missing zero
liveaboard - unfortunately I would need to evict the fat memory card occupying the extra slot. I use it to store podcats etc for travel
dingg - you were fortunate I have two of these tokens for both countries with the added bonus of having shelled out Euro 10 for each plus postage and constantly having to replace batteries
AliceCaroline - can't wait, DW had to drag me to the airport when we returned last week.....
Have a great day and thanks for the helpful suggestions

Spig
Just for info Spig, it takes 24 hours after amending the number for it to work.

Old Oct 29th 2019, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute

Worth knowing that there is a high degree of compatibility between card readers.

So try the Millennium card with, for example, Barclays or Nationwide readers, and vice versa. The Millennium token machines don’t seem to be at all well made.

Old Oct 30th 2019, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingg
Not for me they're not
Sometimes I'm being charged for a transfer payment to someone else's account and sometimes there is no charge, and it only started happening about a month ago.
Going to have to go into the bank and get to the bottom of it.

Discovered the charge is due to the recipients bank being anything other than millennium, all transfers to millennium accounts are free.
Old Oct 31st 2019, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spiggle
unfortunately I would need to evict the fat memory card occupying the extra slot. I use it to store podcats etc for travel
Spig
My phone has 2 sim card slots + an SD memory card slot.
And it's not an expensive one.
Old Nov 19th 2019, 11:14 am
Just Joined

Jenni512 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

I'm with Santander Totta and found them very helpful and have the App also in English to assist. Think it really does vary on your location and the branches, but the Quarteira branch has always been super helpful with me.

Thanks,
Jenni
Old Nov 27th 2019, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

AlgarveAndy is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone use the Millenium BCP Programa Portugal Prestige? , Millenium market this service for NHR expats and the charges are down at 4.5 euro a month
Old Nov 28th 2019, 8:48 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlgarveAndy
Does anyone use the Millenium BCP Programa Portugal Prestige? , Millenium market this service for NHR expats and the charges are down at 4.5 euro a month
I don't know what that gives you, but my old Caixa Geral account costs me €2.91 a month. Apart from the normal current account facilities and Multibanco card, it allows me to transfer money from my account in the UK to a British account for CG, from where it is then converted and placed in my Portuguese account with no further charges. The conversion rate is visible before you commit and has always been good enough to deter me from trying anywhere else.
Old Dec 16th 2019, 11:02 am
Just Joined

Joshua1995 is an unknown quantity at this point

I bank with Millenium BCP. Everything is in English and the staff all speak English in Vilamoura branch
Old Feb 12th 2020, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

Cliffo is an unknown quantity at this point

Activo Bank was set up in 1994, I believe, by Millennium.
If you are comfortable with on line banking, it is a good choice IMHO.
I set up an account in 1 hour start to finish and left the branch with an active debit card.
They require
proof of IDENTITY
NIF
proof of RESIDENCE. I used Cert de Reg do Citadao da Europeia Uniao.
Euro500 for initial deposit. It can be a lesser amount if salary or pension to be paid into account.
The app and web page are in English for routine activities.
The account can be used for direct debits.
Account set up and debit card is free. No monthly or yearly fee.
Not sure what they do about stamp duty on the card.
Again, this is an online bank with barebones branch facilities. May not suit if you are uncomfortable with apps and web pages. I think it stands up well against the likes of Monzo, Revolut and N26. I've had accounts with all of them for years. I opened an account with Activo because the Portuguese utility companies would not accept direct debit using N26.
Hope the above progress useful to someone setting up in this great country. 👍😊
Old Feb 12th 2020, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cliffo
I think it stands up well against the likes of Monzo, Revolut and N26. I've had accounts with all of them for years. I opened an account with Activo because the Portuguese utility companies would not accept direct debit using N26.
Hope the above progress useful to someone setting up in this great country. 👍😊
I saw yesterday N26 pulled out of the UK - blamed Brexit , will close by 26th April.
Old Feb 13th 2020, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

orangeblossom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AlgarveAndy
Hi, just relocating to the Algarve and seems all the Banking information on the Forum is pretty old. Does anyone have advice for which Bank to set up with. My initial research has me leaning towards ActivoBank but any help would be much appreciated.
I've been using NovoBanco. They're not terrible but I wouldn't recommend them. I get charged small amounts for lots of things, though I don't pay a monthly fee. I pay an annual fee for the credit card. However, lots of online sites seem to reject their credit card [ not sure if that is linked to the fact that the account address is in the UK, though] , worse, they debit card they issue is an Electron not a real Visa debit and that is hardly ever accepted. I choose to send when the rate is good, so when I have to pay for things in Euros it ought to make sense to pay for them from my PT acct but it just doesn't work with this debit card. My sister had an account at another bank (can't remember for sure but BancoPic or something, I think) their 'debit' card was the same. Keep meaning to change but haven't got round to it. Also, they had hardly anything in English five years ago. It's a bit better now I do have a personal banker, usually quick to respond to email but I think that is standard here. The biggest problem I ever had with them was when my debit card got swallowed up by a machine at another bank. [ I had mistakenly used the pin for my credit card, instead of my debit card, and kept tryiing the same number cos I was sure it was right. [the two cards look identical] Anyway, because my acct address was in uk they could not get me a new card in portugal they said, it would be sent to the UK but I was in portugal. They wanted to charge me 12 euros every time I wanted to access my own money over the counter so I just had to end up using my uk debit card in an ATM. Overall not a bank to recommend.
Old Feb 14th 2020, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

I have no problem with my Novo Banco Debit Card. It is Visa Electron and is always accepted when I want to pay online in Euros. Have you gone into your account online and ticked the box referring to 2 stage security (or whatever they call it)? Unless you do this, they will not text you a secure number for the second stage of the authorisation. That is probably the reason for rejection of your card.
I pay a monthly fee of 5 Euros and no other charges. My credit card does not have an annual fee. The website is in English and is as good as any other bank site I use. I don't need to take out cash over the counter to pay bills because all my bills can be paid using online banking. I don't need to visit a bank branch. My personal account manager is excellent and answers email questions promptly. If I had more spare time I would call into the local branch and speak to her personally because she is not bad looking.
I have considered opening an account with other banks which make no charges but they all had other disadvantages. BestBank was the one I liked the look of most of all but they changed their terms and now charge for credit and debit cards. Activo Bank sounds good and I might consider it.
Old Feb 14th 2020, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BillBullock
I have no problem with my Novo Banco Debit Card. It is Visa Electron and is always accepted when I want to pay online in Euros. Have you gone into your account online and ticked the box referring to 2 stage security (or whatever they call it)? Unless you do this, they will not text you a secure number for the second stage of the authorisation. That is probably the reason for rejection of your card.
I pay a monthly fee of 5 Euros and no other charges. My credit card does not have an annual fee. The website is in English and is as good as any other bank site I use. I don't need to take out cash over the counter to pay bills because all my bills can be paid using online banking. I don't need to visit a bank branch. My personal account manager is excellent and answers email questions promptly. If I had more spare time I would call into the local branch and speak to her personally because she is not bad looking.
I have considered opening an account with other banks which make no charges but they all had other disadvantages. BestBank was the one I liked the look of most of all but they changed their terms and now charge for credit and debit cards. Activo Bank sounds good and I might consider it.
Could not agree more, use my Novo Banco Debit Card everywhere - Portugal and Spain, never a problem. Credit Card also fine although puny limit . Website excellent, automated email advice on any Direct Debit, use the online service as much as possible but when I have called the central number with a query always been helpful and very positive. Unfortunately I don't have an account manager á la Bill Bullock but he is a very pleasant guy and helpful when needed. Only recent visit was to get him to sign UK pension services Proof of Life and his comment was "You do look very much alive" as he signed and stamped the form.
Definitely rate them.
For currency movements rely on Transferwise efficient and good rate

Last edited by Loafing Along; Feb 14th 2020 at 12:48 pm. Reason: Spelling