Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Basic tax return example

Basic tax return example

Old May 24th 2020, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

ricko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Basic tax return example

Having struggled to comprehend my first return, I've set out below what I've found, in the hope it will help future first-timers.

The situation is for a single retiree with income from pensions, renting out UK home, interest and dividends.
There are three forms to complete:
Rosto........covering page
Anexo J......foreign income form
Anexo L......NHR form, if applicable

For these documents, it appears your NIF goes in the part for "Sujeito Passivo A", but also in Anexo J and Anexo L Table 3A, "Identificao do titular do rendimento".
In certain sections, a code for the UK is required - this is 826.

The main work seems to be in filling out Anexo J.
In this form, pensions go in Table 5. For Table 5A, fill in the first three columns, pension code, country code, and gross amount.
The pension codes are H01 for company pensions (and State Pension?), code H02 being for "Public pensions"; I assume this means those government pensions always taxed in the UK (eg. teachers and civil service pensions).
In Table 5C, for further details of your entries in Table 5A, company pensions go under "Decorrentes de emprego anterior", and State Pension under "Seguranca social".

For income from renting out your UK home, use Table 7A. The columns are income code (F01), country code, net profit without tax, and tax paid abroad.
In Table 7B, and elsewhere, there is a choice with a question starting "Opta pelo englobamento ..."; for further information on this, see the post "Strange tax translation"

Strange tax translation

Interest and dividends go in Table 8, the first three columns being income code, country code, and gross amount.
The income codes are E11 for dividends, and E21 for interest.

For what goes in Table 11, see the post "Strange tax translation" mentioned above.

For those claiming NHR, in Anexo L Table 6B, the correct choice is "Metodo de isencao", box 05.

Old May 24th 2020, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Basic tax return example

Thank you!

The category 7A applies also to holiday rentals outside Portugal?
Old May 25th 2020, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

qianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond repute

Just curious how you calculate the exchange rate and how you deal with different financial year period (UK is April to April and Portugal is Jan to Dec)?
Old May 25th 2020, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

ricko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond repute

The category 7A applies also to holiday rentals outside Portugal?
I should have mentioned that I found this information online and with help from this forum - I didn't get advice from a tax professional, so I am still a novice.
That said, I believe that any property income could go in Table 7.
However, I remember seeing a note that property income could also go in another Table (Table 6 I believe, business income); I do not know under what circumstances it would be beneficial to put the income in this second table.
Old May 25th 2020, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just curious how you calculate the exchange rate and how you deal with different financial year period (UK is April to April and Portugal is Jan to Dec)?
So far, I have only been working out what forms and data I need; I still have to collect all the income information.
As for exchange rate, I believe there are a number of websites providing this (xe.com I have read provides historical rates).
For the different tax periods, I can only see that the information should be collected on a month by month basis.
Old May 26th 2020, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

BlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ricko,
Good post . Not many Brits are involved in this lark. I fill out the Trabalhador Independente one as I am Resident here. I think it is called Modulo 3 or something to that effect. I haven't earned anything abroad but I may do. I don't know if I require a separate Anexo. I will worry about it closer to next April, I remember seeing a declaration in the Trimestral earnings declaration for Segurança Social for income earned abroad as well. Just so you know I haven't applied for "o Apoio o Excecional" as I have sufficient reserve to weather the Covis-19 economic fall out. I live in a very modest manner.

Out of interest does anyone know what you pay in England for NI contributions to remain self employed and (hence independent ) When I looked into it about 8 years ago or so the base was around the £250 per annum mark.

Thank you.
Old May 27th 2020, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

AlgarveAndy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ricko
Having struggled to comprehend my first return, I've set out below what I've found, in the hope it will help future first-timers.

The situation is for a single retiree with income from pensions, renting out UK home, interest and dividends.
There are three forms to complete:
Rosto........covering page
Anexo J......foreign income form
Anexo L......NHR form, if applicable

For these documents, it appears your NIF goes in the part for "Sujeito Passivo A", but also in Anexo J and Anexo L Table 3A, "Identificao do titular do rendimento".
In certain sections, a code for the UK is required - this is 826.

The main work seems to be in filling out Anexo J.
In this form, pensions go in Table 5. For Table 5A, fill in the first three columns, pension code, country code, and gross amount.
The pension codes are H01 for company pensions (and State Pension?), code H02 being for "Public pensions"; I assume this means those government pensions always taxed in the UK (eg. teachers and civil service pensions).
In Table 5C, for further details of your entries in Table 5A, company pensions go under "Decorrentes de emprego anterior", and State Pension under "Seguranca social".

For income from renting out your UK home, use Table 7A. The columns are income code (F01), country code, net profit without tax, and tax paid abroad.
In Table 7B, and elsewhere, there is a choice with a question starting "Opta pelo englobamento ..."; for further information on this, see the post "Strange tax translation"

Strange tax translation

Interest and dividends go in Table 8, the first three columns being income code, country code, and gross amount.
The income codes are E11 for dividends, and E21 for interest.

For what goes in Table 11, see the post "Strange tax translation" mentioned above.

For those claiming NHR, in Anexo L Table 6B, the correct choice is "Metodo de isencao", box 05.
Hi I follow the 'AT' twitter feed and they put out a notice that appeared to say if you had income under 8,500 euro you did not need to do a tax return, I have had residency since last October but at present have not elected to step out of UK Tax with HMRC due to not being able to 'step across' by the start of the UK tax year for 20-21 on 6th April as I am currently in the UK and under the travel restrictions. I am currently well under the 8,500 euro earnings limit as I only live of savings until my pensions can kick in in November. I also have NHR status.
Old May 29th 2020, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Fluffyhead has a spectacular aura aboutFluffyhead has a spectacular aura aboutFluffyhead has a spectacular aura about

qianh - when we first did our pt tax return we went to our finanças to ask how to do it and the man there was most helpful. He told us that we should use the exchange rate of the day that we received the money so that's what we do. It is a real pain that the UK has a different tax year to the rest of the world (I don't know that is really the case!) but you just have to deal with the two systems. For example, we have rental income in the UK so I just put in the income on the pt tax return that we have received during the pt tax year on the dates that we have received it using the exchange rate of that day then add them all together and then put them on the appropriate box in annex J.
Old May 30th 2020, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone advise on this tax question (figures given for example)
So, what would be the tax liabilty for a Portuguese resident on this income stream all from UK. Person is aged 70, and single. (NO NHR)
UK State pension £9000
Private pension UK £4500
UK prop. rental income (Gross) £6000
so total income all frm UK at £19,500

Tax payable in UK would be £1400
This would be a simple basic tax demand, forgetting any allowance for meds or insurances or anythng else.
Old May 31st 2020, 7:14 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wellinever
Anyone advise on this tax question (figures given for example)
So, what would be the tax liabilty for a Portuguese resident on this income stream all from UK. Person is aged 70, and single. (NO NHR)
UK State pension £9000
Private pension UK £4500
UK prop. rental income (Gross) £6000
so total income all frm UK at £19,500

Tax payable in UK would be £1400
This would be a simple basic tax demand, forgetting any allowance for meds or insurances or anythng else.
Using an exchange rate of 1.11 euros to the pound and the 2020 tax tables, you'd be up for 1,906.29€ tax on the pension income, which is all treated the same way.

You'd then have a choice as to whether to have the rental income taxed at a special rate of 28% or to include it with your other income and have it taxed at the appropriate rate on the scale. In your case the 28% would be the better option, so the tax on that would be 1,864.80€.

Total of 3,771.09€ from which would be credited any UK tax paid on the rental income, and the PT specific deductions.

Unless anyone can come up with a better number

Last edited by Red Eric; May 31st 2020 at 7:16 am.
Old May 31st 2020, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Thnks Red.

Still in UK........looking to get back on 4th July, for a short trip, trust by time I go back to UK, the planned 14 day quarantine will have been rubished and removed.

So to sum it up, on the figures used, the annual EXTRA cost of being a resident of Portugal would be e2200 pa.
On the rental in the UK, I gave a gross figure, does Portugal allow costs like service charge, repairs etc?
Old May 31st 2020, 12:57 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

On the rental in the UK, I gave a gross figure, does Portugal allow costs like service charge, repairs etc?
Yes. Allowable deductions are listed on the Modelo 3 notes. Not that I know that through experience, I hasten to add - I've just checked it out.
So to sum it up, on the figures used, the annual EXTRA cost of being a resident of Portugal would be e2200 pa.
Ouch.

You could always gift me the UK rental property if you're looking to reduce the burden a bit
Old Jun 6th 2020, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Whilst collecting my income information, I came across some old notes I made that may be of help.
Apparently, one can aggregate all the income for one particular entry, and just do one exchange calculation. This would use the exchange rate on 31 December.
I cannot remember where I first came across this, or how old it is, but if true, it should reduce the burden of filling in the tax forms.
Old Jun 7th 2020, 6:49 am
Polished expat

Originally Posted by ricko
Whilst collecting my income information, I came across some old notes I made that may be of help.
Apparently, one can aggregate all the income for one particular entry, and just do one exchange calculation. This would use the exchange rate on 31 December.
I cannot remember where I first came across this, or how old it is, but if true, it should reduce the burden of filling in the tax forms.
Income paid in foreign currency is dealt with under Article 23 of the Código do IRS.

Old Jun 7th 2020, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

TonyJ1 is an unknown quantity at this point

In terms of private pensions - don't forget to look at the provisions of article 54 of the tax code - might save some money

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.