Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Barclays Bank Europe

Barclays Bank Europe

Old Jul 26th 2015, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barclays Bank Europe

You can check them out online and IIRC, even open an account from the UK if you need to.

Another good thing about them is that as far as I know, they have no connection to the illegal & genocidal regime of Mad Bob Mugage. lol.
Old Jul 26th 2015, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

tombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nice

Originally Posted by mfesharne
Why not simply go the route most do and have a UK or even better, offshore (Jersey/IoM) UKP account and a local Euro account with Millennium or other local bank and just use ebanking to move money between the two and ATMs for cash.

I haven't checked the accuracy of the statement but I'm told that Millennium is rated as the safest bank in Portugal and it's Millennium that we use.
=================================================
Well years ago when I was offshore even before HSBC in Jersey there was no tax to pay. Unfortunately now unless you make a full tax disclosure to HMRC then you are taxed at source 35%. I had offshore accounts for years but the net was slowly drawing in. HMRC wants to know all assets held in UK offshore accounts. There was too much heat for me and I had to pull out. Also at that time there was no compensation scheme either.
A good test is just to tell Financas you are holding an offshore account and see how you get on! Tou will be regarded as a parasite
Old Jul 26th 2015, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't suggesting any kind of tax evasion at all........ just that in my opinion it's the best and safest way to bank and incidentally, I've been banking that way for many years.
Old Jul 26th 2015, 5:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks mesharne..Thats all I wanted to know as well.Looking like Millennium it is then

Unless of course they have a connection with the bloody and corrupt regime of Santos in Angola? Oh Sh*t ..

Maybe the Bank of Dave?..Anyone?
Old Jul 27th 2015, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

nogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to check out Activo Bank. They are part of the Millennium Group. No charges! If no branch near you, one can use the local Millennium branch. One must forward the required documents; e-mail, to Active, after which one may continue the account opening process at ones local Millennium branch.
Old Jul 31st 2015, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

1711JohnB is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the information.

Contacted them and this is what I got back. The only issue is that all the sites are in the north so it looks like either Santander or Millenium.

ACTIVOBANK

The opening of the account must be made with your presence at a bank branch in Portugal.

These are the documents required to open an account in ActivoBank, for each of the holders:

• Identity Card and passport
• Portuguese taxpayer card
• Proof of profession (pay slip or employee card)
• Proof of address (water receipt, electricity, gas, phone, driving license, etc.)

The evidence shall not be valid more than 3 months.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, we have just transferred to Santander in the UK from Barclays and whilst in I asked about transfers to Santander in Portugal and was told that each transaction would cost £20.00.

Kind regards

John
Old Sep 4th 2015, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

OK the deed is done..Bankinter has bought Barclays.everything except the Investment .The insurance has been sold to another Spanish company.Of course it's CLIENTS here in Portugal have yet to be informed.Also no word on closing UK accounts
Old Sep 12th 2015, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

tombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nice

Still not a whisper from Barclays PT and nothing on their web page.
Haven't heard anything bad about BankInter. Perhaps they might be OK.
Seem to have been around for 50 years and have 4000 staff.
Perhaps there will be something in my mailbox when I get back next week.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 11:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by tombo

Don't hold your breath Tombo!
Old Sep 14th 2015, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

mjam443 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 1711JohnB
Hi All

In yesterdays Telegraph is says that Barclays are sending letters to people in Cyprus that unless they have more than £100,000.00 in their bank they should move banks.

It also says that more letters would be sent in due course to expats in countries that Barclays are no longer focussing on. It gives the example of Greece and Malta but Spain and Portugal will be on the cards I expect.

It seems that if you are on holiday or going in the next couple of months it may be wise to ensure you have all documents needed to open a new bank account and move away from Barclays. Who wants all direct debits stopped knowing how harsh the penalties can be from suppliers if they are not paid in time.

I think those needed to open an account are your Fiscal Number and bills from your UK home address as proof of residence in the UK.

Kind regards

John
Hi John
I fear this process is moving as you predicted;I rec'd letter today informing me that Barclays are Transferring their Portuguese Retail and Wealth banking business to Bankinter,S.A. I fear the time to change to a bank of your choice has arrived!
Old Sep 14th 2015, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

It is a fact. Barclays are targeting 70 countries to close accounts that have less than £1000,000-00. Allready in process is Cyprus, Malta and Portugal.
Old Oct 13th 2015, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Jet57 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tombo
Recieved a letter from Barclays Pt at UK address end September informing of the changes to take place (unfortunately it was in Portuguese so wanted clarification). Luckily it coincided with a trip over to Tavira so visited the branch in Faro to ask them to explain what was going to happen:- All Portuguese held accounts will be transferred over to Bank Inter by March 2016. Standing orders etc will remain unchanged and any debit cards will be replaced with a Bank Inter one on their natural expiry date with the same pin number. On-line banking will remain unchanged apart from a different logo on log in page. Existing Mortgage arrangements will be honoured as they were agreed before the takeover. The chap seemed pretty upbeat about it, saying they wanted to cause the least disruption to customers as possible. The branch in Faro will remain but with new name and staff retained.
Old Oct 13th 2015, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

1711JohnB is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

Just as an extra to this, I have sent 5 emails to Bantinker asking them about bank charges (currently 8 euro's plus iva at Barclays). I should really post the responses from them as you would think that I was trying to get classified information. I even put it simply in one email theoretically asking that if I was to open an account with them in Spain, what charges would I incur on a simple current account with 3 direct debits.

All I seemed to get back, was a response to log into my account (not an account holder) and send them an email via the official site. In the end, I have given up.

Whatever happened to freedom of information.

Kind regards (frustrated)

JohnB