Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Bank transfers- inter-country in €

Wikiposts

Bank transfers- inter-country in €

Old Jun 25th 2020, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bank transfers- inter-country in €

I intend to visit Portugal soon (mentioned in other thread) to do a recce before moving there from Italy before the end of 2020.
On this visit I might open a bank account in preparation for my move.
If I do an IBAN transfer from my Italian bank to this new account in Portugal before I fully re-locate, of a five figure sum, will the new bank query it, maybe asking for evidence of its source, or similar?

When I bought my Italy prop a few years ago I transferred, using a currency change company as intermediary (Sterling to Euro), from my UK bank to my Italy bank without any problems. I just advised in advance (IIRC) the Italy bank that my account would be receiving a significant sum.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank transfers- inter-country in €

They won't ask anything, but a notification will be sent to the relevant tax office.
It's mandatory, but they've set the bar so low that the tax authorities are deluged with huge numbers of notifications daily.
So don't worry about it unless you have something to worry about.

My bank doesn't charge fees for transfers under 50,000 so when buying our house I made multiple transfers.
No trouble.
Old Jun 27th 2020, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
They won't ask anything, but a notification will be sent to the relevant tax office.
It's mandatory, but they've set the bar so low that the tax authorities are deluged with huge numbers of notifications daily.
So don't worry about it unless you have something to worry about.

My bank doesn't charge fees for transfers under 50,000 so when buying our house I made multiple transfers.
No trouble.
In my case I received an email from the account manager asking where my cash was coming from and what was the purpose of the large sums being transferred into my account.

Millennium bank pt.
Old Jun 27th 2020, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingg
In my case I received an email from the account manager asking where my cash was coming from and what was the purpose of the large sums being transferred into my account.

Millennium bank pt.
Same here - no real problems but it is better to do a direct transfer (or several if need-be) than to pay in a cheque from another country, even if in Euros. For our bank a direct transfer does not incur charges whereas a cheque does. They have to note the source and purpose - as far as I know that is the same for all EU banks. But since there is no skullduggery going on here, you can happily declare - sale of property, purchase of property (you do not have to show any evidence to back up the declaration, nor be in actual process of purchase as yet - no questions asked)
Old Jun 27th 2020, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

You will initially register your temporary address, still the Italian address?, when you set up the new bank account, as non-resident, and notify them when you become resident with the resident-address (rental/purchase). You will need your NIF set up first at the local Finanças office, and then go to the bank of your choice to set up your account. Check what is on offer in the way of charges, credit +/- debit card, etc. Most banks seem to have at least one English speaker available ....
Old Jun 27th 2020, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingg

Millennium bank pt.
Originally Posted by Rambling archer
Same here - no real problems but it is better to do a direct transfer (or several if need-be) than to pay in a cheque from another country, even if in Euros. For our bank a direct transfer does not incur charges whereas a cheque does. They have to note the source and purpose - as far as I know that is the same for all EU banks. But since there is no skullduggery going on here, you can happily declare - sale of property, purchase of property (you do not have to show any evidence to back up the declaration, nor be in actual process of purchase as yet - no questions asked)
Originally Posted by Rambling archer
You will initially register your temporary address, still the Italian address?, when you set up the new bank account, as non-resident, and notify them when you become resident with the resident-address (rental/purchase). You will need your NIF set up first at the local Finanças office, and then go to the bank of your choice to set up your account. Check what is on offer in the way of charges, credit +/- debit card, etc. Most banks seem to have at least one English speaker available ....
Great feedback guys! Cheers! Yes, I'll likely be using my Ital address for my NIF non-residant.
I don't think I could use an new Portugal address for NIF, could I? NIF registration is before prop rental I thought...
Old Jun 28th 2020, 5:15 am
BE Enthusiast

NIF is first for everything! If you can prove a different interim address for yourself, you might hide the Italian job, but probably not worth the effort and if you are eventually using the Italian proceeds to buy in Portugal, then logic says you might as well let Portugal know where you are coming from ...??