Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Automatic garden watering

Wikiposts

Automatic garden watering

Old Sep 18th 2012, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

Squidlydidly is just really niceSquidlydidly is just really niceSquidlydidly is just really niceSquidlydidly is just really niceSquidlydidly is just really niceSquidlydidly is just really niceSquidlydidly is just really niceSquidlydidly is just really nice
Default Automatic garden watering

I want to set up an automatic garden watering system that would include a pop up lawn system and a micro drip/spray system for patio pots etc.

Can i source everything i need here in central Portugal (Coimbra area)?
Can I run the two systems off one timer?

The systems to purchase online seem to be dominated by Hozelock and Claber but is there a manufacturer here in Portugal that supplies these systems or is it a case of buying individual components and fitting together?(probably the cheapest option).

Have any of you out there set up this type of system and where did you source your components?

And does it work? in respect of saving water and cost effective.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Automatic garden watering

I put in a huge system. Everything is available down here in Algarve from multiple suppliers. Some are cheaper than others.

My system has 2 pumps, 10 zones, 24 popup sprayers, 900 meters of tubing [mostly buried] and several hundred dripers.

Drippers save water, sprayers do the opposite.

I was going to buy the computer timer online from the UK, but it was actually cheaper [when the postage was included] at my plumbing supplier in Lagos. Almost everything I used is "rainbird" brand, quality is ok and prices are too.

You can run as many valves as you like, the design will depend on your particulars; your water supply and watering requirements.

The parts are all pretty cheap, but it adds up.

If you're using metered water, I wouldn't use lawn sprayers. If you pump your own water, get a night rate meter if you can. My system runs only during night rate, and it's still very expensive.

Last edited by liveaboard; Sep 18th 2012 at 9:58 am.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

No wish to put a dampener on your ideas but before you go ahead with irrigation you would be well advised to take a long hard look at your garden plans and try to convert your planting as much as possible to succulents and generic plants with requirements for minimum water. Then around those you could look at stones and bark on netting to retain water and keep 'lawn' to an absolute minmum.

Water costs are horrendous and only going in one direction - I even see people swapping to artificial grass to save water - if I am honest it doesn't look too bad either !

In short the hardware is not the main cost and as liveaboard suggests the local stuff is much the best. Rainbird is a good brand and the idea of automatic watering seems wonderful until you get your first underground leak - (pipe split or connector come off) easy not to spot it for a while and easy to lose 25,000 litres of water quite quickly !
Old Sep 19th 2012, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Water situation is quite regional; the op says he's in central Portugal. Some areas are very dry, some have lots of water.

The southern Algarve has constant water trouble, but at my place on the west coast, we have a canal passing through. The water comes from the Santa Clara reservoir and falls into the sea a few km after it passes us.
I'm pumping about 20 tons onto my land every night.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 9:05 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Everyone I know with irrigation is getting rid of it and changing to gravel and cactus etc.Water bill for one friend near Torres Vedras for June 700 euros,and he doesnt live here He does however have a very lush garden
Water prices vary from Camara to Camara.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 11:27 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I installed an irrigation system for all our terrace plants for when I am away. No lawn pop up though.
Around here all the piping is available in reels, and its just a question of buying the timer and the sprinkler ends. Very simple to fit up
Old Sep 20th 2012, 12:58 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the info guys, I am considering buying a property that has sprinklers embedded into the the lawn. They have a good succulent lawn, very green.
If I buy will need careful tweaking of the control system to ensure no excessive use with failsafes to ensure no massive bills.
Rather a slightly brown grass for the dog to S***on than a massive bill.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 1:30 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
thanks for the info guys, I am considering buying a property that has sprinklers embedded into the the lawn. They have a good succulent lawn, very green.
If I buy will need careful tweaking of the control system to ensure no excessive use with failsafes to ensure no massive bills.
Rather a slightly brown grass for the dog to S***on than a massive bill.
You only need a drip feed for pot plants, I think it must have been lawn watering that caused excessive use.
Drip for 40 mins or an hour ... Ive not noticed any untoward increases in water usage
Old Sep 20th 2012, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

I used "Rain Bird" which I bought from a local seller who gave me 35% discount so it worked out less than half of what the likes of "Aki" were wanting for their "Gardena" systems! Also the tubing was just high pressure tubing from the same seller that was a fraction of the price of Gardena!

I did however use Gardena US site to do a plan for the system

p.s it was a nightmare to fit, not helped by fact my garden was already paved... I would pay someone to do the work next time!

Last edited by gedscottish; Sep 20th 2012 at 4:55 am. Reason: Gardena not hozelock
Old Sep 20th 2012, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

newintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nice

until you get your first underground leak - (pipe split or connector come off) easy not to spot it for a while and easy to lose 25,000 litres of water quite quickly
Been there, done that, got the bill...