Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Atestado De Residência

Atestado De Residência

Old Feb 5th 2020, 1:01 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Atestado De Residência

Originally Posted by Lelandy
Passport photos are required at some but not all Camaras in The Algarve for five year residency. An Attestado wasn't for me, just our house deeds, and 90 days was a requirement. AVBS indeed.
Did you get issued anything with the photo on it? Or are they still issuing an A4 certificate without photo?

Someone on here mentioned a pink card recently
Old Feb 5th 2020, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Without wishing to branch off into a mass of irrelevancies or start any sort of heated discussion, I don't attach too much significance in this particular case to slightly different policies being adopted in different Câmaras, since the law is very much open to interpretation.

There are, in my lay opinion, equally valid arguments both for and against issuing registration certificates within 90 days. Beyond that you're into "must request" territory for the resident and "must issue or give a sound reason why not" for the local authority.

Equally, there are, as you say, a number of documents which might serve as proof of address and which some will perfectly happily accept as dispensing with any need for an atestado, while others, apparently, insist on the latter no matter what other documents are produced (didn't happen to me but I think from memory that that's what's been said on here). Again, presumably perfectly valid given that the atestado's a standard document which is requested for a number of purposes here. I'm quite surprised that most (all?) the official sources seem to stop at passport / id card in terms of documents required - I'd have thought it was pretty much a given that they'd want to know your address and it's certainly not unusual when giving that, in any country, to be asked for proof of it.

In any case, there's nothing for the OP to get too apprehensive about - whatever is asked for where he is will be pretty straightforward to obtain.
I absolutely agree but it's undeniable that there can be advantages in some cases to registering residency early whichI why I did mine within a week or two of arrival to give me as large a time window to do the tax free car import.
Old Feb 5th 2020, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Lelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Did you get issued anything with the photo on it? Or are they still issuing an A4 certificate without photo?

Someone on here mentioned a pink card recently
No, the Residencia is the standard A4 certificate, no photo attached, I assume the photo is for their records? I understand from the Brits in Portugal site that we will be required to exchange Residencias due to Brexit, but no plans have been announced that I am aware of.
Old Feb 5th 2020, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
Did she attach it to the document?
No it was on the application form
Old Feb 5th 2020, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingg
No it was on the application form
Blimey................ Talk about pointless bureaucracy.
Old Feb 5th 2020, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

No, the Residencia is the standard A4 certificate, no photo attached, I assume the photo is for their records? I understand from the Brits in Portugal site that we will be required to exchange Residencias due to Brexit, but no plans have been announced that I am aware of.
There are 2 FB groups of very similar names. One is the UK Embassy FB page & is utterly brilliant, professional & 110% accurate but the other is dodgy as hell, extremely misinformed & full of anti Brexit & anti democratic BS, has been known to solicit funds for somewhat dubious reasons & sometimes suggests they have some link to the Embassy which is entirely untrue.

Of those two, the one to believe is obviously the Embassy one so don't be misled by the other.

This is the Embassy one to trust.

https://www.facebook.com/BritsInPortugal/
Old Feb 5th 2020, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Lelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant future

There are 2 FB groups of very similar names. One is the UK Embassy FB page & is utterly brilliant, professional & 110% accurate but the other is dodgy as hell, extremely misinformed & full of anti Brexit & anti democratic BS, has been known to solicit funds for somewhat dubious reasons & sometimes suggests they have some link to the Embassy which is entirely untrue.

Of those two, the one to believe is obviously the Embassy one so don't be misled by the other.

This is the Embassy one to trust.

https://www.facebook.com/BritsInPortugal/
I'll choose who to believe thank you.

Last edited by Rosemary; Feb 5th 2020 at 2:26 pm. Reason: removed antagonistic comment
Old Feb 5th 2020, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'll choose who to believe thank you,.

The point I was trying to make is the UK Embassy FB page is accurate & well informed whilst the other is................... ummmmmmm........... Not.

Or are you suggesting the other FB page that purports to be a number of things that it isn't is more trusworthy than the genuine Embassy page?

Last edited by mfesharne; Feb 5th 2020 at 2:45 pm. Reason: removed part of quote therefore part of post out of context so that also removed
Old Feb 5th 2020, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Apologies to the OP, I hope your move goes well.
Old Feb 5th 2020, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

The flaw in that argument is that to commit slander or libel I'd have to (A) speak/post an untruth an (B) name the person or group & I did neither.

But I notice you didn't answer my question which was: "are you suggesting the other FB page that purports to be a number of things that it isn't is more trusworthy than the genuine Embassy page?"

What is interesting is that you appear to know a FB entity that I haven't named......... Strange that?

Last edited by mfesharne; Feb 5th 2020 at 3:33 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2020, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

AVBS = Acute Variable Bureaucracy Syndrome
At risk of being accused of pedantry, shouldn't it be called Chronic Variable Bureaucracy Syndrome since it seems to be a long-term condition?
Old Feb 5th 2020, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
At risk of being accused of pedantry, shouldn't it be called Chronic Variable Bureaucracy Syndrome since it seems to be a long-term condition?
And in its later stages: Terminal Chronic Variable Bureaucracy Syndrome, which could be the end stage, preceded by acute flare ups and even the (rare) occasional remission.

Incidentally, I think that the final two letters of the acronym might have bovine faeces as an alternative interpretation.
Old Feb 6th 2020, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

Geronimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to everybody for responding. I think my plan of attack is to work out what documents I could get in the correct order, once we have arrived and a rental agreement/POA sorted:
1. NIF from town hall - Financas
2. Attestado de Residencia from local parish council (Junta de Frequesia)
3. Cartao de residencia from the Camara Municipal
4. Cartao de Utente for the Health Service card from the
Centro De Saude

After reading a lot online and from this forum I understand its best to have as much proof and supporting material as possible:
• Proof of address (POA)
• Proof of supporting income
• Passport
• Driving Licence
• Passport sized photos

We are moving initially to Tavira (mainly because of the many memories we have there) and hope to join you all in the sun soon.
Thank everyone, you are all very supportive, its greatly appreciated. 😀👍
Ger..
Old Feb 6th 2020, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Always better to have a document & not need it that to need it & not have it.
Old Feb 6th 2020, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

Geronimal is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Atestado De Residência

Always better to have a document & not need it that to need it & not have it.
Haha yes totally! Belts and braces all the way, as sure as eggs is eggs they will ask for the one thing you don’t bother to take