'Apron strings'

Old Dec 14th 2006, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

violets'n'vanilla will become famous soon enough
Unhappy 'Apron strings'

Hello,

This is my first post. I've been reading some of your posts here, and they are all so encouraging.

However, like a child to a mother, I am wanting to move away from the apron strings of Mother England. Yet I have so many questions in my head that my head is spinning with worries.
Should we stay part UK linked and keep some of the benefits of the UK, like that of the National Health [don't laugh, we are retiring] or the dentist, opticians etc. I'm asthmatic now and thinking of moving into the green centre of Portugal hopefully where the air is somewhat cleaner than the muck that I breath every day.
Furniture: Is all my wooden furniture no good in Portugal, I've heard of stories where the incoming wood is a feast for some of the bugs. Is this just story telling or fact?
This is enough for now, but my main concern is should we detach from the apron strings or keep connected, we want to buy not rent our final home.

Last edited by violets'n'vanilla; Dec 14th 2006 at 5:02 am.
Old Dec 14th 2006, 9:17 am

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 'Apron strings'

Originally Posted by violets'n'vanilla
Hello,

This is my first post. I've been reading some of your posts here, and they are all so encouraging.

However, like a child to a mother, I am wanting to move away from the apron strings of Mother England. Yet I have so many questions in my head that my head is spinning with worries.
Should we stay part UK linked and keep some of the benefits of the UK, like that of the National Health [don't laugh, we are retiring] or the dentist, opticians etc. I'm asthmatic now and thinking of moving into the green centre of Portugal hopefully where the air is somewhat cleaner than the muck that I breath every day.
Furniture: Is all my wooden furniture no good in Portugal, I've heard of stories where the incoming wood is a feast for some of the bugs. Is this just story telling or fact?
This is enough for now, but my main concern is should we detach from the apron strings or keep connected, we want to buy not rent our final home.
Hello from me
There are conflicting ideas about this,many people prefer,and are lucky enough to keep a "bolt hole" in Uk.
We couldnt afford to,so sold up and moved lock stock etc.
I am in the Portuguese health system,which I think is very good,opticians,ok you would have to pay,but they are cheaper than uk.
I brought all my furniture,including some ercol cabinets,and strongbow dining furniture,and have had no problems at all.However,make sure you do NOT store wood for the fire in the house,it needs to be outside or in an outhouse,as this can cause termites etc to get into the furniture,friends of ours had this problem and had the whole house infested including the kitchen units and doors!!!
You will find the air here 5000 times better than Uk,it soooooo fresh and lovely,we used to sleep for 12 hours when we first got here and couldnt understand why,of course it was the change to the fresh fresh air (lovely)
Good luck
Love Cleri xx
Old Dec 14th 2006, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Hello clerigogirl

Thank you for replying to me, sometimes you feel in a very big pond wondering which way to paddle.

We have made up our minds to retire to Portugal and have seen a lovely place on an internet website, got lots of details, and it all looks very good, so we are now trying to sort things this end. Making that step of retiring can't come soon enough for me, although we won't be idle, if we have our way, we will get a little bit of land and be as near self sufficient as is possible, but with Pensions we should be able to have a better retirement than here, sooner too, before we work ourselves into early graves.

Do you know anything about Pensions? We have private ones and don't know if the UK Gov tax those because of being away, or even tax the UK Pensions, any idea?

Thanks for the info about furniture, so hard wood is better then. Good. Phew!
So termites, snakes, etc this will be similar to Survival on tv then.

The Portuguese Health Plan sounds good, we hope not to need regular aid regarding this area, but if it's good, then probably it's better to go with that, otherwise there's the possibility that the red tape from the UK will always be a problem. We have to pay for eyes and teeth here now anyway, so if the same service is available then best to find a good Dentist & Optician there.

Carole made a very good point, to do something positive everyday towards the move, I like that. It's like building a wall, brick by brick.

Must get back to work now, thank you again for answering.
Is there anyone on here from the middle green belt?

By the way, is house selling / buying a slow progress thing in Portugal, here, you can if everything goes well, you can buy a house and be moved in within 3 months. Is this the same there?
Old Dec 14th 2006, 11:50 am

We have a government pension which is currently taxed in the Uk.
Sorry dont know about private pensions,but I think you will find it is beneficial to be tax resident in Portugal,you wont pay as much.

House buying depends on a lot of factors,we saw,agreed a deal and moved in within 2 months (it can be done!!)

We also have private health care here,which costs about 1000 euros for the 2 of us per year,we have gone into the Portuguese system also,incase there comes a time when we cant afford the private care.
You will also find if you are in the system that prescriptions are much cheaper.
I recently had a filling at the local dentist which cost me 45 euros,I have lost touch about the costs in Uk.It also costs 45 euros for a check up and clean.
I havent used the optician,but a friend has had new glasses and told me they were much cheaper than Uk.

Sorry I live in Algarve,so am a little ignorant of central Portugal,although I do know it is beautiful and property prices are much cheaper than here.
Have you visited Portugal many times before?
Love Cleri x
Old Dec 14th 2006, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Cleri,

Thank you, you are a mine of information, a little gem.

Only once have I popped my head into the Portuguese terratories, but have visited Spain many times, and before you jump down on top of me, yes, there is a massive diff betwixt Spain and Portugal, indeed, there is diff betwixt each zone, just like our old shires, counties.

We are much travelled and don't have a problem 'fitting in' with people wherever we go, in fact we quite often 'go native' when in a new country, as they say, when in Rome.

I think that what is beckoning is the pace of life and the charisma of Portugal - we are going in the new year to view properties, but already I have lost my heart to one particular place. yes, I know, it might go, but as they say, 'if it's got our name on it, it'll wait for us'.

Ok back to my work
bye
Old Jan 12th 2007, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Hi all, and a Happy New Year to everyone, Ano novo feliz

We are much more centered now on what we are going to do, it will just be a matter of deciding when we sell up here, which way we go, as always everything balances on the ££'s, so the future is looking good.

I'm starting to think about what to keep and what to discard and maybe purchase in Portugal if required. For instance, many years ago I used to be as happy and content sewing and knitting when I had time free, does anyone know it the cost of sewing machines, or fabrics and knitting wool are cheaper than the UK? I have a pretty old Husqvana [bought approx 1982] and don't know whether to let that go here in the UK and buy a new one in Portugal. I hand knit, so it would be interesting to get back into that. Also, painting, are artists bits'n'bobs as priced in the UK? [already putting to one side those 'keep that in case I need it' stuff which we all just hoard, and thinking of doing a car-boot sale soon too, 1st ever, I'm a terrible squirrel, I keep everything!!]

We're hoping to do a visit for pre-buying run this Spring. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by violets'n'vanilla; Jan 12th 2007 at 9:56 am.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Feliz ano novo para toda's!!

Husqvana bike and knitting......you certainly have very different interests! Not that clued up on bikes so could not honestly answer if it would be worth bringing it over. Knitting......Clerigio.....maybe she can help you on that one.....in fact....nah....I cant see her sitting by the pool knitting!She would have to put your glass down right?! Good luck with your venture...

Clerigio,hope all is well with you?! I aint been on here for ages......no buyer for the house yet? Im now a daddy(for 2 days now), house still not ready so the new boy will have to live in our freezing flat for the first month(s)....but with the Portuguese builders I should have knew that would be the case!!
Old Jan 12th 2007, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by gedscottish
Feliz ano novo para toda's!!

Husqvana bike and knitting......you certainly have very different interests! Not that clued up on bikes so could not honestly answer if it would be worth bringing it over. Knitting......Clerigio.....maybe she can help you on that one.....in fact....nah....I cant see her sitting by the pool knitting!She would have to put your glass down right?! Good luck with your venture...

Clerigio,hope all is well with you?! I aint been on here for ages......no buyer for the house yet? Im now a daddy(for 2 days now), house still not ready so the new boy will have to live in our freezing flat for the first month(s)....but with the Portuguese builders I should have knew that would be the case!!
Hi Ged
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! how does it feel to be a daddy?
Shame about the house,but as you say,you expected it

Ive got an english couple coming over from Uk on Sunday to view the house,its been very quiet,but i guess christmas is not the time when people are looking to move!
Some more people expected at end of January too,so im crossing everything!

Ha! you are correct,knitting is not really me I much prefer alcohol consumption,like your good self
Best wishes to your new family
Love Cx
Old Jan 12th 2007, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Ged, you've got a good imagination~ I'm verging on being 60, the Husqvana is a sewing machine.. , but after your advice regarding keeping the thirst at bay, I could rig up a back-pack with a straw, now that makes a good picture~

Has anyone ever read some of the help books about moving to Portugal? It is a must to carry water at all times, well, if we invent a back-pack with a straw just like the cyclists use in the Milk-Race, problem solved, free hands to knit as you walk along, or play the guitar, or well~ the world's your pilchard, just don't get caught, I can see the local paper~ 'Old lady drunk in charge of knitting needles' :scared: what a thought~ heaven knows what the jumper would look like
mmmm just had a thought... new hobby takes off with Ex-Pats... ''underwater knitting'' ~ why not ?

clerigogirl, I didn't know that you had your house on the market, but then it's a bit early days for us, we need to sell first to see what we do. Good luck with selling your house tho', I'm all ears to try to pick up any information, but it's a big ~ massive ~ humungous learning curve for us. And the prospect of residency and purchasing with all the red-tape is a bit over-whelming at the mo'.

mmmm motor bike, now there's an idea, we had a motor scooter back in the 60's and well ~ have to think about it, did you ever see 'two fat ladies' on the tv? I'm afraid that it might be a similar vision, at least it would stop me knitting for 5 minutes~ mind you I could try sitting side saddle like the Italian girlies, mmm might be difficult for the driver though~ nah don't think that I can mix passenger riding a motor scooter at the same time as knitting~ sorry ~ that's just a bit too adventurous for me~ have a fun weekend, congrats to all you youngsters with babies and young families, enjoy every moment, because one day you will wake up and realise that you are getting on a bit especially when you hear a young Mum say to her offspring, "now move out of the way for the Seniors!"

enough mumbling~ now back to work~ byeee
Old Jan 12th 2007, 7:04 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Congrats ged!!!
Old Jan 12th 2007, 8:36 pm
Escaped to the Sun

Mattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really nice

Congrats Ged
Violet one of my best pals who goes biking with me every morning (push bikes not motor bikes) is 64 so you should have no probs. Have a look at VdT where lots of us live on the 'reservation' LOL
Mate also does sowing makes curtains jams etc etc wonder woman!
see
www.valedatelha.com
worth a visit - central Portugal is very hot in summer and cold in winter. Atlantic coast is wild but windy - sure you'd love it!
Good Luck
Old Jan 13th 2007, 8:13 am

Ged, you've got a good imagination~ I'm verging on being 60, the Husqvana is a sewing machine.. , but after your advice regarding keeping the thirst at bay, I could rig up a back-pack with a straw, now that makes a good picture~

Has anyone ever read some of the help books about moving to Portugal? It is a must to carry water at all times, well, if we invent a back-pack with a straw just like the cyclists use in the Milk-Race, problem solved, free hands to knit as you walk along, or play the guitar, or well~ the world's your pilchard, just don't get caught, I can see the local paper~ 'Old lady drunk in charge of knitting needles' :scared: what a thought~ heaven knows what the jumper would look like
mmmm just had a thought... new hobby takes off with Ex-Pats... ''underwater knitting'' ~ why not ?

clerigogirl, I didn't know that you had your house on the market, but then it's a bit early days for us, we need to sell first to see what we do. Good luck with selling your house tho', I'm all ears to try to pick up any information, but it's a big ~ massive ~ humungous learning curve for us. And the prospect of residency and purchasing with all the red-tape is a bit over-whelming at the mo'.

mmmm motor bike, now there's an idea, we had a motor scooter back in the 60's and well ~ have to think about it, did you ever see 'two fat ladies' on the tv? I'm afraid that it might be a similar vision, at least it would stop me knitting for 5 minutes~ mind you I could try sitting side saddle like the Italian girlies, mmm might be difficult for the driver though~ nah don't think that I can mix passenger riding a motor scooter at the same time as knitting~ sorry ~ that's just a bit too adventurous for me~ have a fun weekend, congrats to all you youngsters with babies and young families, enjoy every moment, because one day you will wake up and realise that you are getting on a bit especially when you hear a young Mum say to her offspring, "now move out of the way for the Seniors!"

enough mumbling~ now back to work~ byeee
Hi VnV
Thanks for your good wishes.
Dont worry about the move,it may seem daunting,but its really much easier than you think,and you soon get used to the ways of Portugal.
Also with forums like this,it makes life much easier,you can pick our brains about anything.(when we are sober)
Cx
Old Jan 13th 2007, 6:47 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by clerigogirl
Hi VnV
Thanks for your good wishes.
Dont worry about the move,it may seem daunting,but its really much easier than you think,and you soon get used to the ways of Portugal.
Also with forums like this,it makes life much easier,you can pick our brains about anything.(when we are sober)
Cx
Poor woman will die before she gets her answers then?

I would take my Hsqvrna with me. If it is cheaper there then sell it or use it as a backup machine.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

Thanks TouristTrap

You've helped me to decide in keeping the machine
It cost a lot of money when I bought it, and the modern machines don't look as strong.
Does anyone here know if the electricity will be ok?

Have a nice day, [pst, shush, the sun is shining ] makes the world of diff doesn't it.

tata for now or as the youngsters do say: TTFN adios
Old Jan 14th 2007, 11:40 pm
Account Closed

Thanks TouristTrap

You've helped me to decide in keeping the machine
It cost a lot of money when I bought it, and the modern machines don't look as strong.
Does anyone here know if the electricity will be ok?

Have a nice day, [pst, shush, the sun is shining ] makes the world of diff doesn't it.

tata for now or as the youngsters do say: TTFN adios
I agree about the older machines being better built than the new ones.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.