Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Apply for and Going Through the NHR process

Apply for and Going Through the NHR process

Old Oct 17th 2023, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Apply for and Going Through the NHR process

And that should also mean that AT will not come after you for previous years tax.
Old Oct 20th 2023, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

ErnestB is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, everyone for your assistance and advice

ErnestB

Old Oct 27th 2023, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

TonyJ1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ErnestB
Hello everyone

Thank you very much dingg and wellinever I really appreciate your time

In answer to your questions

1) Regarding my NIF, I use my Portuguese friend's address in Portugal for correspondence from the tax office etc (for convenience only). I personally live and work in the UK and have never lived in Portugal or had employment in Portugal. Therefore in essence I have only ever been tax resident in one country which is the UK

The reason I have a NIF is due to the fact I purchased a small plot of land in 2008, (therefore I needed a NIF). I paid tax at the time I purchased the land, and each year after owning the land there was a small year tax charge of about €125 which I also paid each year.
I sold the land about 2 years ago and made sure all my taxes were up to date, and the finance office has confirmed I have no more tax to pay.

So based on the above, I would believe I cannot be considered as being resident (only short holidays like everyone else), or tax resident (as only paying tax on the land). If anyone thinks this is incorrect kindly let me know

When I obtained my NIF in 2008 at that time I used my UK passport, I do not think this means the Portuguese Government will treat me as a UK citizen (BrexIt rules about staying in Portugal), as I believe they only ask for a passport to confirm your ID.
As mentioned I also have an Irish passport, which logically I would present (together with my NIF) as part of any NHR application.

Thanks again, any input on the above or further advice om NHR would be most welcome

ErnestB
If you were resident in the UK, request the confirmation letter (of UK residence) from HMRC covering at least 1/1/2018 to 31/12/2022 - preferably get it with an apostille

Apply for the NHR - in your case it will be rejected - then submit the above document. I suggest you do all this in this fiscal year
Old Oct 27th 2023, 12:57 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TonyJ1
[...]Apply for the NHR - in your case it will be rejected - [...]
May I ask why it would be rejected?

The certidão de domicilio fiscal clearly states that the OP is resident outside of PT and that he has appointed a fiscal representative (another indication of his not being resident). So definitely not tax resident in PT and explicitly recognised as such by AT.
Old Oct 27th 2023, 3:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red Eric
May I ask why it would be rejected?

The certidão de domicilio fiscal clearly states that the OP is resident outside of PT and that he has appointed a fiscal representative (another indication of his not being resident). So definitely not tax resident in PT and explicitly recognised as such by AT.
The OP stated that he uses an address of convenience in Portugal - as far as the PT tax authorities are concerned he is tax resident - he has to prove otherwise, otherwise the NHR application will be refused
''1) Regarding my NIF, I use my Portuguese friend's address in Portugal for correspondence from the tax office etc (for convenience only).''

Old Oct 27th 2023, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TonyJ1
The OP stated that he uses an address of convenience in Portugal - as far as the PT tax authorities are concerned he is tax resident - he has to prove otherwise, otherwise the NHR application will be refused
''1) Regarding my NIF, I use my Portuguese friend's address in Portugal for correspondence from the tax office etc (for convenience only).''
and if you read further, you will notice that his friend was appointed as his Fiscal Representative, so, his application should be accepted.
Old Oct 27th 2023, 4:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shanorme
and if you read further, you will notice that his friend was appointed as his Fiscal Representative, so, his application should be accepted.
I stand (sit) corrected