British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   Anyone else watching RTP1's "SUL"? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/anyone-else-watching-rtp1s-sul-929032/)

Red Eric Nov 3rd 2019 7:05 am

Anyone else watching RTP1's "SUL"?

Great home-grown Lisbon-set crime series. Very atmospheric, soundtrack from the fab Dead Combo.

All a bit of a notch up from the standard fare.

I missed the first few episodes transmissions but there are 6 now available on RTP Play, which I'm watching my way through to catch up.

GeniB Nov 4th 2019 2:49 pm

Re: Anyone else watching RTP1's "SUL"?

No but sounds like something we need to watch My Portuguese has gone backwards during the last 18 months of health problems for both me and OH. We were just saying 'If only there was something interesting we could get into on Portuguese TV,like we had in NL when we first moved there.'.We were lucky enough to arrive when a brand new soap started,.These things usually revolve around the simplest language ( 600 words) It was perfect. I learned Dutch in three years:lol: Is there anything like that on Portuguese TV we might watch ?

riv Dec 20th 2019 9:03 am

I tried to watch it on the catchup service online ( don't have an aerial ~maybe I should get one ? ).

However, I could not get any subtitles ( Portuguese for HoH I mean ) to work. I need the subtitles to be able to follow what's going on ~ on the BBC IPlayer subtitles are available so why not on the Portuguese equivalent, I wonder.

Red Eric Aug 1st 2020 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by riv (Post 12780894)
I tried to watch it on the catchup service online ( don't have an aerial ~maybe I should get one ? ).

However, I could not get any subtitles ( Portuguese for HoH I mean ) to work. I need the subtitles to be able to follow what's going on ~ on the BBC IPlayer subtitles are available so why not on the Portuguese equivalent, I wonder.

Your wish has been granted.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...17f88b4ee7.png

macliam Aug 1st 2020 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12890703)

I'd not checked RTP play..... I'll send details to SWMBO.
Unfortunately, whilst I can see programmes "no ar", any attempt to watch the iPlayer-type content just shows "Sem direitos de tranmissão online".
Is this due to geoblocking (as I'm in the UK) or does it suggest such content is not available online at all?

Red Eric Aug 2nd 2020 5:54 am

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12890779)
I'd not checked RTP play..... I'll send details to SWMBO.
Unfortunately, whilst I can see programmes "no ar", any attempt to watch the iPlayer-type content just shows "Sem direitos de tranmissão online".
Is this due to geoblocking (as I'm in the UK) or does it suggest such content is not available online at all?

It's definitely available online so it must be blocked outside Portugal. I expect there's probably a way round that, though, for the unscrupulous enterprising.

What about the content in the archives? I've just watched a short documentary series filmed in Lisbon in the early 70s and there's a stack of other interesting-looking material in there. I think that section's a recent addition - is that available to you?

macliam Aug 2nd 2020 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12891042)
It's definitely available online so it must be blocked outside Portugal. I expect there's probably a way round that, though, for the unscrupulous enterprising.

What about the content in the archives? I've just watched a short documentary series filmed in Lisbon in the early 70s and there's a stack of other interesting-looking material in there. I think that section's a recent addition - is that available to you?

I don't think there are too many VPNs with a presence in Portugal - certainly none I have used.... but at least SWMBO should be able to use it. I tried accessing a few things and the oddity is that I can get the live broadcasts, but not the archive.

morro Aug 3rd 2020 12:33 pm

I just downloaded RTP Play and using my Expressvpn Portugal, it worked well.

macliam Aug 3rd 2020 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by morro (Post 12891555)

..... but if you're based in Tavira, why use a VPN?

Red Eric Aug 3rd 2020 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by morro (Post 12891555)

:thumbup: Seems to be one of the top recommendations, along with CyberGhost, NordVPN and a couple of others.

morro Aug 3rd 2020 1:30 pm

I forgot to mention that I am in the UK at the moment!
But I did answer the question correctly!
It is nice to know that we have another pedant on the Forum!