Another Scam ?

Old Jun 29th 2021, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

Dafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really nice
Exclamation Another Scam ?

I,ve recently been bombarded with emails from meo/sapo advising me that they will be coming very soon,to install fibre optic internet connection in my area and that they wish to make arrangements with me asap. I,m suspicious firstly because the emails are in english - never had that from meo before. secondly there is only one other house in my area. They have a meo contract and have heard nothing at all about fibre optic upgrading.
I,ve been in touch with meo directly who were pretty vague about it all and basically could not confirm one way or the other. They did however confirm my theory that it would be highly unlikely that fibre optic cableing would be installed just to serve 2 isolated houses.
I,d be interested to know if anyone else has had similar experiences
Old Jun 30th 2021, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

barlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Scam ?

Seems like there's a problem with your keyboard as well!! ,,,,,,,,

Any chance you could pdf or screenshot the email from them and post it up for us to have a look at??

If SAPO is mentioned then I suspect it is a spam. The Frog brand is being slowly wound down and is only now used for a couple of MEO run portals.
Old Jun 30th 2021, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

If it's a scam, it's tightly targeted; specific to an English speaker in Portugal.
To me, that indicates that you are being targeted specifically, probably for a robbery / home invasion.

Or it's innocent.
What is the contact they give to reply to?
If there's a link, hover your curser over it and a window should show you the true email or web address it points to.

Old Jun 30th 2021, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Dafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really nice

This is a copy of the first e.mail

Hello

We are sending you this email because you have our internet and landline system by ADSL ( cooper cable ). In your area we are removing all the cooper cables in order to install the infrastructures of fiber optic as soon as possible. In order that you continue to use the landline and the internet we will provide you a system of satellite so you don't be without communications. As soon as the fiber is availallumble you will be contacted again to do the installation.

The satellite system has the same landline number with the free calls to Portuguese landlines and 1000 min to 50 countries landlines.

The internet has a speed up to 40MB per second and remains unlimited.

Also because this is a universal service you will have also a television box with 90 channels, we know that you do not have television with MEO and probably don't want it, but in order that the clients who already have television by ADSL continue with it, all the clients will have the same system, when fiber is available if you want to remove the television and continue only with internet and landline you are free to do it.

The price of the bill will be stabilized in 34.99€ with IVA during and after the 24 months of the contract and when change to fiber you can continue to pay the same price because fiber package is also 34.99€.

We need to know how soon can you receive the colleague at the address to do the replacement of the system, because we have many clients in the area doing the replacement, our schedules are very busy and we don't want you to be without service.

Best Regards,

MEO Quality and Technical Department

[email protected]
Old Jun 30th 2021, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

That does not read like any communication I ever had from Meo.
And the sapo email address is very weird too.
No name, no phone number?
I wouldn't respond at all, except maybe at the local GNR. Probably they won't be interested but it would be worth asking.
Old Jun 30th 2021, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

SgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond repute

No way that MEO would have an address @sapo.pt

Definitely scam in my view.

And if you would call anyone, call MEO, just to confirm whether they ever had such an email address.
Old Jul 1st 2021, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Print out the email and take it to your local Meo shop and if they do not know about it, insist that they phone "head office" or their "technical" department ... do not click on any links in the email. If, and it seems to be a big IF, it is genuine then you can sign up to show interest in the forthcoming fibre (all this business of interim satellite use sounds distinctly dodgy - think of the equipment they would have to install and set up!) with a person at the shop. If it is indeed a Scam, then the Meo shop can report it direct to their top-bods on your behalf ...
Old Jul 2nd 2021, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

barlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond repute

Scam!!!

Definitely GNR or PSP depending where you live!
Old Jul 4th 2021, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

The plot thickens !
After a week of repeated emails requesting a contact telephone number so they can "make arrangements", I thought I,d call their bluff and emailed back, telling them to use the contact numbers listed in my MEO contract (2015)
Low and behold, they came right back quoting both my telemovel and landline numbers, as listed on the contract.
So, it would appear that whoever is doing this has access to MEO records, legitimately or hacked who knows.
Anyway, I emailed back thanking "them" for their kind attention but declining their offer in the meantime, so hopefully that,s an end to it.