Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Amazon Prime - kindle books?

Amazon Prime - kindle books?

Old Aug 7th 2021, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Amazon Prime - kindle books?

We have noticed the advertising of the relatively recent availability of Amazon Prime in Portugal, via Amazon.es, since Amazon.pt still does not exist. Not so much interested in rapid/free delivery of stuff, but we are used to getting amazon Kindle Books and since we moved from Spain (.es) have had to get the books via amazon.com - basically the USA version which charges in dollars with exchange rates and bank charges etc. So - just been looking at amazon.es about Prime but am not much wiser. If one has to get books from .com because of licensing/copyright laws, how could one benefit from .es Prime for Kindle? I am confused ...

Has anyone knowledge/experience/tales-of-woe to impart on the subject?
Many thanks
RA
Old Aug 7th 2021, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Amazon Prime - kindle books?

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
We have noticed the advertising of the relatively recent availability of Amazon Prime in Portugal, via Amazon.es, since Amazon.pt still does not exist. Not so much interested in rapid/free delivery of stuff, but we are used to getting amazon Kindle Books and since we moved from Spain (.es) have had to get the books via amazon.com - basically the USA version which charges in dollars with exchange rates and bank charges etc. So - just been looking at amazon.es about Prime but am not much wiser. If one has to get books from .com because of licensing/copyright laws, how could one benefit from .es Prime for Kindle? I am confused ...

Has anyone knowledge/experience/tales-of-woe to impart on the subject?
Many thanks
RA
I use amazon.co.uk/

Prime is usless for deliveries so do not use it.
Old Aug 7th 2021, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

appman999 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you want ebooks just login to amazon.es (using your normal details) and order there?

You can select various languages.
Old Aug 7th 2021, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

If you want to use Prime reading than you could sign up for a Prime Subscription (you'll probably get a 30 day free offer the first time)
Old Aug 8th 2021, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

They keep trying to push prime on me; I signed up for the free trial, because the blurb said I'd get free delivery for the order in progress.
But at the checkout page, I had to pay shipping anyway.

They said I'd get free video downloads, but the only video I wanted wasn't free.

Try it out, but mark your calendar so you don't forget to cancel it before the free trial ends and they charge you.
Unless of course, you decide prime is worth it for you.

On Amazon it's unclear where items are being sent from. I ordered a small item nearly a month ago, I assume it's being sent from China, because after clicking through a few links I saw the seller's address is there.
But some items with Chinese sellers state 1 or 2 day delivery, so those items must be already at an EU warehouse.
Old Aug 8th 2021, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Pilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Apologies if I'm teaching anyone to suck eggs but please remember there is a big difference between kindle prime and kindle unlimited.
Having been a prime member a couple of times but always cancelled due to lack of use, I signed up for kindle unlimited and am much happier.
Old Aug 8th 2021, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pilotabroad
Apologies if I'm teaching anyone to suck eggs but please remember there is a big difference between kindle prime and kindle unlimited.
Having been a prime member a couple of times but always cancelled due to lack of use, I signed up for kindle unlimited and am much happier.
OK - will check it out - thanks.
As to ordering Kindle books from .es, I can't as they have noted the fact of our move from Spain to PT and instead of prices and means of ordering there is a box top right of the page relating the book indicating in no uncertain terms that if you want to order a Kindle book you have to swap via their link to .com, which takes you to the link with euros estimated and a price in dollars. It is all to do with copyright permissions - that is also why many books available on .com and/or .co.uk are not available on .es. And if I look on .co.uk I get the same box sending me to .com ... So trying via Unlimited on .es is likely to give me the same problem ....? We were thinking that the Prime video bit might be of interest (since the available channels on Meo fibre TV are getting grim for watchable content!) but are not impressed with the "free" ones there either - like Liveaboard found.
Old Aug 8th 2021, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Have you changed your country of residence in Amazon? Manage Your Content and Devices, Preferences, Country/Region Settings.

I'm registered as UK resident so am transferred to .co.uk but on extended holiday in the US change to US residence and access via .com

There are certainly differences between countries in content due to copyright and licencing so you may need to select where you register.
Old Aug 8th 2021, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

While there is certainly a lot of rubbish Prime Videos I'm surprised you couldn't fill a free month from the thousands of movies and shows.
Old Aug 8th 2021, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
OK - will check it out - thanks.
As to ordering Kindle books from .es, I can't as they have noted the fact of our move from Spain to PT and instead of prices and means of ordering there is a box top right of the page relating the book indicating in no uncertain terms that if you want to order a Kindle book you have to swap via their link to .com, which takes you to the link with euros estimated and a price in dollars. It is all to do with copyright permissions - that is also why many books available on .com and/or .co.uk are not available on .es. And if I look on .co.uk I get the same box sending me to .com ... So trying via Unlimited on .es is likely to give me the same problem ....? We were thinking that the Prime video bit might be of interest (since the available channels on Meo fibre TV are getting grim for watchable content!) but are not impressed with the "free" ones there either - like Liveaboard found.
I have no problem with ordering and receiving Kindle books from Amazon.es and always buy english titles , moved from Spain several years ago to Portugal and never had any problem. I download them first to the desktop Kindle App and then transfer them from downloads to my Kindle, cumbersome but works perfectly. Recently acquired a FireStick and like yourself unimpressed by the "Free" ones except for Clarkson's Farm, excellent . So far failed to master the buying of films in spite of contact and assistance from Amazon , they made me move everything to Amazon.com which totally failed to solve the problem so I reset to existing arrangement. Generally found it poor by comparison to Netflix . Get good movies via an Android box, PopCorn Time.
Old Aug 8th 2021, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

How about Bosch, Sneaky Pete, The Vikings (went on too many seasons though), Patriot, The Revenant. The Expanse, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, The Girl in the Spider's Web, Blow The Man Down, etc. Not sure if all available on .es and we all have different tastes. Friends liked High Castle and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel but neither did it for me.
Old Aug 8th 2021, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by appman999
How about Bosch, Sneaky Pete, The Vikings (went on too many seasons though), Patriot, The Revenant. The Expanse, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, The Girl in the Spider's Web, Blow The Man Down, etc. Not sure if all available on .es and we all have different tastes. Friends liked High Castle and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel but neither did it for me.
Yes Bosch and quest for his mother's killer draws us back every so often and agree with you about the other titles but Netflix much greater variety
As a BTW my son and family on holiday here now and of course travel with their firestick !!
Old Aug 8th 2021, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Agreed Netflix has much better choice but even there the dross is pretty widespread.

I get by by just taking the free or very cheap offers on Netflix, Amazon, Apple TV, Now TV interspersed with Catch Up on UK TV offerings.

Channel 4's Walter Presents European series has some hidden gems.
Old Aug 8th 2021, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by appman999
Saw them all (almost), and more.
When I tried netflix it was the same problem, I've already seen everything they offer me.
Supposedly the US version has more choice but they don't let you in when you log on from a PT web address.

We watched all the B grade stuff too, now we're even down to watching Polish series (which wasn't too bad actually).

Greek series To Nisi from 2008 is GREAT if you can get it and you're looking for something to watch.

Last edited by liveaboard; Aug 8th 2021 at 11:07 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2021, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by liveaboard
Saw them all (almost), and more.
When I tried netflix it was the same problem, I've already seen everything they offer me.
Supposedly the US version has more choice but they don't let you in when you log on from a PT web address.

We watched all the B grade stuff too, now we're even down to watching Polish series (which wasn't too bad actually).

Greek series To Nisi from 2008 is GREAT if you can get it and you're looking for something to watch.
If you can cope with the Polish and Greek go for the Croatian series on Netflx - englsih title "The paper" Novine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.