Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Allowing friends and relatives to stay in property

Allowing friends and relatives to stay in property

Old Apr 21st 2021, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Allowing friends and relatives to stay in property

What are the rules regarding allowing friends and relatives to stay for normal week holiday in a property owned by a resident of Portugal?
Without any payment.
These would be from UK so any new rules regarding Brits on holiday
Has anyone or does anyone do this?
Do the people staying need to fill out any forms or anything.
Clearly the EHIC would still be accepted, but is other insurance required by them?
Does the house then have to have an AL or other stuff like Fire extinguishers/ etc
Old Apr 21st 2021, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Allowing friends and relatives to stay in property

My view would be that the only areas of concern would be around insurance of your property & contents (against loss or damage) and you and your guests (against potential liability claims in the event of an accident), especially if you were not in residence at the time. Ask your insurers if they are happy if unknown people use the property in your absence.
Old Apr 21st 2021, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

SgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond repute

That reminds me of my first home insurance in Portugal and the dialogue at the bank.

Q: For now it would be a holiday home, with no intention to make a business out of it. But what if we later decide to have some paying guests and then an insurance event occurs? Should I nevertheless tick the box for commercial use?

A: Oh, not to worry. If anything like that happens you can say it was you there, not your guests.

🙄

Last edited by SgtTroy; Apr 21st 2021 at 3:03 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2021, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SgtTroy
... If anything like that happens you can say it was you there, not your guests. ...
A little tricky if it's a liability claim following a fatal accident.
Old Apr 21st 2021, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

SgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn' t be bothered to argue with their "logic".

I simply ticked the commercial use box.
Old Apr 21st 2021, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Yeh too often the case with insurance.
I had Health insurance with a well known Insurer in Portugal, when last a resident in Portugal a decade ago.
I let it lapse and last year (before becoming a resident again) asked about renewing the same policy with the same company, but not as a resident........reply from broker....it is very unlikely that the insurer would ever ask if you were a resident, they assume you are, despite there not being a question as such on the proposal form (but I know it to be in the fine print) .....yeh very easy for them to just say something, but ask them to put it in writing??...No chance...

I guess that visitors would have their own insurance for accidents or loss of valuables.
But I need to check regarding personal liability if I am not there, which I wouldnt be.
Algarve way too hot for me in July and August and far too busy.
No swimming pool just a large jacuzzi/spa max 75cm deep, so ought not to be a problem.
The people would of course be known to me, and not just given to anyone willy nilly.
The other main thing is not to run into issues with the Council or SEF . I am sure my neighbours could well be nosey about it.