Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Algarve > UK driving route itinerary

Algarve > UK driving route itinerary

Old Sep 15th 2019, 6:47 am
Just Joined

oysterleeds is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Algarve > UK driving route itinerary

Hi all. I'm driving from the Algarve to the UK and I'd like to drive the majority of the journey, through Spain and France (and catch the Calais > Dover ferry).

Rather than doing it as quickly as possible, I'd like to do the journey over 5 or 6 days and so am looking for an itinerary that passes through the 2 countries and takes in some beautiful scenery, stop off in some nice cities/towns/villages along the way and enjoy some nice food and drink - perhaps doing about 4 or 5 hours of driving per day.

On our drive down we drove from Santander to the Algarve, via Salamanca and Seville, so would ideally like to do something new. Had toyed with the idea of going across to Granadaand up the west coast to Barcelona, Monpellier and Lyon, but that said, maybe Madrid, San Sebastian and Bordeaux would be nice too?

If anyone has any suitable itineraries or just general suggestions, then that'd be really useful - it's all a bit overwhelming!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 15th 2019 at 10:34 am. Reason: Edited to remove paragraph about your services
Old Sep 15th 2019, 7:52 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Algarve > UK driving route itinerary

Originally Posted by oysterleeds
Hi all. I'm driving from the Algarve to the UK and I'd like to drive the majority of the journey, through Spain and France (and catch the Calais > Dover ferry).

Rather than doing it as quickly as possible, I'd like to do the journey over 5 or 6 days and so am looking for an itinerary that passes through the 2 countries and takes in some beautiful scenery, stop off in some nice cities/towns/villages along the way and enjoy some nice food and drink - perhaps doing about 4 or 5 hours of driving per day.

On our drive down we drove from Santander to the Algarve, via Salamanca and Seville, so would ideally like to do something new. Had toyed with the idea of going across to Granadaand up the west coast to Barcelona, Monpellier and Lyon, but that said, maybe Madrid, San Sebastian and Bordeaux would be nice too?

If anyone has any suitable itineraries or just general suggestions, then that'd be really useful - it's all a bit overwhelming!
Hi, if you go via Barcelona, take the A75 north from Béziers, up through the Massif Central. Not only it's free up to about Clermont-Ferrand, I believe, but you pass through the most beautiful scenery (up to C-F at least). Post again on the France forum for other ideas and recommendations for hotels!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 15th 2019 at 10:34 am. Reason: Edited quoted post as above
Old Sep 15th 2019, 9:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, if you go via Barcelona, take the A75 north from Béziers, up through the Massif Central. Not only it's free up to about Clermont-Ferrand, I believe, but you pass through the most beautiful scenery (up to C-F at least). Post again on the France forum for other ideas and recommendations for hotels!
Thanks, will do just that!
Old Sep 15th 2019, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Oyster, don't know how far east you want to go in France but if you have time on your hands a trip over the Millau Viaduct is well worth it.

Yes it is a toll road but well worth the "entrance money"

We have just come down to the Algarve and deliberately avoided all toll roads, took our time and saw some "real country" not just motorway service stations!

Old Sep 15th 2019, 5:49 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chislenko
Hi Oyster, don't know how far east you want to go in France but if you have time on your hands a trip over the Millau Viaduct is well worth it.

We have just come down to the Algarve and deliberately avoided all toll roads, took our time and saw some "real country" not just motorway service stations!
Actually it's only a toll to cross over the Viaduct (which I forgot to mention...), the rest of the A75 is free up to about C-F, as said. You can avoid paying by going down into the Tarn Valley when indicated, and up again....
An experience crossing, and a perfect view from down below - up to you to choose if you go that way!

Last edited by dmu; Sep 15th 2019 at 5:51 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2019, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by chislenko

Hi chislenko. Would be very interested to know about your route in more detail if you have the time? We’re very much up for seeing some real countryside and nice towns and villages and certainly not service stations! Not sure how long your journey took and as I say, I’m aiming for maybe 5 days or so up to Calais. We’re looking for good food and drink, nice scenery and good places to stay en route.

Not averse to going that far east, in fact some routes suggest even further east than Millau. Also doesn’t have to be the most direct route; happy to go along a coastline and then right angle across or similar but obviously don’t want to zig zag around too much.
Old Sep 15th 2019, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

Tonyj is an unknown quantity at this point

Had a nice trip back from Tavira a few weeks ago. Went through Seville, on to Valencia, Barcelona, then Lyon from where we took a quick trip to Geneva. Then up through Luxemburg. Could have gone to Calais from there, but took the ferry from Amsterdam to Newcastle overnight. Normally we just do the quickest route but decided to take our time and see some more places.
Old Sep 21st 2019, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oysterleeds
Hi all. I'm driving from the Algarve to the UK and I'd like to drive the majority of the journey, through Spain and France (and catch the Calais > Dover ferry)......... If anyone has any suitable itineraries or just general suggestions, then that'd be really useful - it's all a bit overwhelming!
We regularly drive through Spain and France and have just come down in the opposite direction to your planned route, from Calais. We used to do it geared for speed but in recent years we prefer to take a bit more time and see a bit more of places, now taking 5-6 days and using no tolls at all for the entire journey. Depending where in Portugal you are starting from and where you come across into Spain, the basic route is your alternative idea via Madrid/San Sebastian/Bordeaux:

Granada - Jaen - Valdepenas - Madrid - Aranda de Duero - Lerma - Burgos - Briviesca - Miranda de Ebro - Vittoria - Beasain - San Sebastian (skirt round but you could visit) - Irun - Biarritz - Messanges - Parentis en Born - Saugnacq et Muret - Bordeaux (skirt round) - Saint-Gervais - Pons - Saintes - Loulay - Niort - Parthenay - Saumur - La Fleche - Le Mans - Alencon - Bernay - Rouen (skirt round) - Abbeville - Nouvion - Montreuil - Boulogne - Calais

A few places are mentioned to illustrate the route but all/any/others along the way could be used as stopping points. If you would like further detail about route, road numbers, distances, towns etc. by all means send a pm.