Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Algarve Turf Suppliers

Algarve Turf Suppliers

Old Oct 11th 2019, 12:31 pm
Happiest in the sun

Score76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Algarve Turf Suppliers

I'm looking for recommendations on turf suppliers in the Algarve (or will deliver there), I need quite a lot (3800sqm) so am hoping I can get a better price by going direct. Google just brings up loads of ads for artificial so no help. All the garden centres seem to order it in.

TIA
Old Oct 11th 2019, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Algarve Turf Suppliers

There is [or was] a producer in Almograve [Beja]. I've seen trucks laden with rolled turf heading south and I think it's from them.
Old Oct 11th 2019, 2:42 pm
Happiest in the sun

Score76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that liveaboard... With a bit of digging I unearthed camposol2.com which I believe is the one you're referring to. I'll give them call and see if they can help.
Old Oct 12th 2019, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

No offence but you might want to think about the practicalities of watering that much turf. I would recommend that you look at a few dry gardening books, if you want to consider something more appropriate for the conditions.
Old Oct 12th 2019, 11:38 am
Happiest in the sun

I don't really like gardening at the best of times so want as maintenance and cost free as possible. My plan is turf with automated irrigation and Husqvarna robot mower. I have borehole and solar PV panels so the water and irrigation isn't costing anything whilst the sun's out. The mower is electric so will charge from solar. I have the same set up in the UK (minus the irrigation) and all I have to do is strim round the edges every three weeks. 20 minutes work every 3 weeks on a 1/2 acre lawn is pretty maintenance free!
Old Oct 12th 2019, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking more about the fact that water is becoming an increasingly precious resource in Portugal. We have not had decent rain in the lat 2 years and the barragem up the road from us is the lowest I have ever seen it.

We also want low maintenance, so we have gone for a combination of planting through permeable weed membrane with shrubs that have extremely low water requirements plus gravel in between with permeable weed membrane underneath. So very little weeding and very little watering.