Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Algarve locations

Algarve locations

Old Oct 21st 2023, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

MikeR. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Algarve locations

Hi All, just joined as we are hoping to move to Portugal next year. We are coming for a trip to the Algarve next month to get an idea of places to look. We’ve lived overseas for long periods before so know we do like to be near other expats especially when learning the language. We are wanting some rescue animals so 2+ acres preferably and quiet location but say within 30 minutes of good amenities so we understand we will be slightly inland. We’ve done some research around Tavira and also Silves sounds nice and are wondering what East Algarve is like compared to West Algarve. We want to get some ideas where we should visit on our first research trip next month and pros and cons. Ignoring budget, this is a fact finding exercise at the moment so please throw any ideas at us. Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 22nd 2023, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Algarve locations

With regard to rescue animals there is no shortage of abandoned cats and dogs!
Old Oct 22nd 2023, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

There is a distinct shortage in my area. More rescue volunteers than strays now. not a free dog to be seen.
As soon as a dog tries to cross the street, 6 well meaning people are trying to grab it.
There is a cat or two, good luck catching them though.
Old Oct 23rd 2023, 6:03 am
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
There is a distinct shortage in my area. More rescue volunteers than strays now. not a free dog to be seen.
As soon as a dog tries to cross the street, 6 well meaning people are trying to grab it.
There is a cat or two, good luck catching them though.
Has there been a conscious effort to round up the stray dogs then? Is this something backed by the Authorities or just people doing it off their own back?

There used to be a fair number of them roaming the streets where we were.
Old Oct 23rd 2023, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chislenko
Has there been a conscious effort to round up the stray dogs then? Is this something backed by the Authorities or just people doing it off their own back?

There are 160 rescue dogs in our local kennel, waiting for their forever home.
Old Oct 23rd 2023, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chislenko

Our local GNR started issuing fines to owners who let their dogs run free; of course that only restricts dogs who have homes.
We are a coastal area with a lot of expat animal rescue enthusiasts. There is a veterinarian next door to me that specializes in processing them for export, they have a big transport vehicle that heads north full of dogs around once a month.
Charities in Germany, the Netherlands, and Scandinavia pay a fixed fee per animal. It's not big profit, but the vet makes a living from it.
To keep the system working the volunteers just have to round up enough animals to fill the lorry.
Some locals who kept their dogs tied or confined in ways that we foreigners don't agree with had their dogs stolen in the night. Repeatedly.

None the less, there are plenty of animals languishing in the camara kennel I heard. They don't kill them now (new law), but my understanding is that they haven't been allocated a budget sufficient to keep them either.
One would think that the rescue people and the kennel would make perfect partners, but last I heard there was great animosity and the kennel didn't release animals for export, only one by one to people who would home them locally.
That may have changed, my info on the kennel is pretty old.

My informal observation is that local people who keep dogs now mostly prefer purebreds, so they must come from breeders.

The hunting people still keep a lot of mixed unfixed dogs in cages out in the countryside, but I saw that some money has been spent on them (the cages) so I assume that the new regulations are biting.
That would have forced the hunters to chip their dogs too, so that would force them to stop abandoning them.
I guess they either kill the ones they don't want to keep, or take them to the kennel, or hand them over to the rescue people.
The rescue and hunter communities are not very fond of each other. Middle east peace is more likely than those two groups working together.
I heard that the kennel refuses to accept any, because they're full already.
Old Oct 23rd 2023, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Our local GNR started issuing fines to owners who let their dogs run free; of course that only restricts dogs who have homes.
We are a coastal area with a lot of expat animal rescue enthusiasts. There is a veterinarian next door to me that specializes in processing them for export, they have a big transport vehicle that heads north full of dogs around once a month.
Charities in Germany, the Netherlands, and Scandinavia pay a fixed fee per animal. It's not big profit, but the vet makes a living from it.
To keep the system working the volunteers just have to round up enough animals to fill the lorry.
Some locals who kept their dogs tied or confined in ways that we foreigners don't agree with had their dogs stolen in the night. Repeatedly.

None the less, there are plenty of animals languishing in the camara kennel I heard. They don't kill them now (new law), but my understanding is that they haven't been allocated a budget sufficient to keep them either.
One would think that the rescue people and the kennel would make perfect partners, but last I heard there was great animosity and the kennel didn't release animals for export, only one by one to people who would home them locally.
That may have changed, my info on the kennel is pretty old.

My informal observation is that local people who keep dogs now mostly prefer purebreds, so they must come from breeders.

The hunting people still keep a lot of mixed unfixed dogs in cages out in the countryside, but I saw that some money has been spent on them (the cages) so I assume that the new regulations are biting.
That would have forced the hunters to chip their dogs too, so that would force them to stop abandoning them.
I guess they either kill the ones they don't want to keep, or take them to the kennel, or hand them over to the rescue people.
The rescue and hunter communities are not very fond of each other. Middle east peace is more likely than those two groups working together.
I heard that the kennel refuses to accept any, because they're full already.

Thanks for your knowledgeable reply.
Old Oct 23rd 2023, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

No worries; somehow the thread has shifted to dogs again.
I don't know if the OP has been back at all, with just the one post he made.
Old Oct 23rd 2023, 11:59 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

No worries; somehow the thread has shifted to dogs again.
I don't know if the OP has been back at all, with just the one post he made.
The OP viewed the forum this morning.

Rosemary
Old Oct 23rd 2023, 12:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

It seems these days you need a lot of money if you want 2+ acres with a house that's not a ruin. Every now and then I do look at different areas in Spain and Portugal just to compare prices. São Bartolomeu de Messines might have the odd ruin with land that looks affordable, but like Spain the fire risk is something I wouldn't ignore (especially with animals).
Old Oct 23rd 2023, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeR.
Hi All, just joined as we are hoping to move to Portugal next year. We are coming for a trip to the Algarve next month to get an idea of places to look. We’ve lived overseas for long periods before so know we do like to be near other expats especially when learning the language. We are wanting some rescue animals so 2+ acres preferably and quiet location but say within 30 minutes of good amenities so we understand we will be slightly inland. We’ve done some research around Tavira and also Silves sounds nice and are wondering what East Algarve is like compared to West Algarve. We want to get some ideas where we should visit on our first research trip next month and pros and cons. Ignoring budget, this is a fact finding exercise at the moment so please throw any ideas at us. Thanks in advance.
We are in the municipality of Castro Marim and about 10kms inland from Castro Marim town. Our search in this area was initially driven by price but we really like it and it's very easy to drive to the coast and into Spain. Our first choice was Tavira but it was beyond our budget.

I would concentrate on the eastern Algarve if you want a property in a peaceful area with land for dogs. You might want to look at a rundown place to renovate but I must warn you, there is a terrible shortage of builders and associated trades here in Iberia.

I would definitely recommend the eastern Algarve. Good luck with your search!

Old Oct 23rd 2023, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Here on the west coast asking prices have risen to a crazy height for houses with land; and there is a terrible drought, although we did start getting rain this week.
The weather is very pleasant though.
Old Oct 23rd 2023, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Here on the west coast asking prices have risen to a crazy height for houses with land; and there is a terrible drought, although we did start getting rain this week.
The weather is very pleasant though.
Crazy indeed and many nationalties driving prices up. The Algarve is only a small area really and you sometimes get the impression the whole world will holiday there soon😉. I was always interested in the Azores, 15-20 years ago plenty of choice and still relatively cheap. In recent years wealthy Americans have pushed up prices and of course us foreigners buying creates a lot of frustration for young locals. When we bought land in Spain, we were the only foreigners on the street and 4 plots were still empty. Recently Russians and Ukrainians have bought the remaining plots and have started building.
Old Oct 23rd 2023, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

I keep waiting to see any of those 7 figure farm houses get listed as sold; it seems like asking prices have doubled since anyone actually bought any of them.
I mean; 1.2 million for a house that needs full renovation (8 hectares and a great view though). 1.95 million for a house on the cliff edge. It's a nice house, but 1.95 million in an area with no employment, no health care, an hour and a half from the nearest airport?

Looks like fantasy prices to me. But what do I know?
Old Oct 24th 2023, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

As the prices in the Algarve are now at silly price, why not look just a little further inland? We bought three acres, with a move in house for a lot less than we'd pay in the Algarve.

Just over the Algarve border, into the Alentejo, you will find land and houses at affordable prices and you're not too far from civilisation.

Our old house, in Fuzeta, is now on the market for 470,000. We sold it 8 years ago for 175,000. And yes,they are selling at those prices.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.