Reload this Page >

Algarve Info Request

Algarve Info Request

Old Nov 23rd 2004, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

mj12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Algarve Info Request

Hi all,
My family are thinking of moving to the Algarve from Australia as we have been here 12 mths & have decided we miss & want to be closer to family in Portugal & UK.

Does anyone have any info on living & working on Portugals Algarve, such as schools, sources for long-term rentals etc. I just want a unbiased view from anyone who has experience of area.

I realise there are a few books around but looking for personal experience in the first instance. I also appreciate the language may be a struggle but plan to work on that area. Also as far as jobs go my pardents has a business in travel industry & I was thinking of offering my IT skills to expats !!

Plus has anyone gone through what appears to be a hassle of shipping good from Australia to Portugal??

Tia

MJ12
Old Nov 24th 2004, 3:42 pm
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Algarve Info Request

Hello,

I was born in Portugal although i have been living in the Uk since i was 12, and unlike you i want to do the switch to Australia.

Anyway regarding your info, i will collate some information and post here for you. If you have any more questions please feel to PM me.

Regards,
Pedro
Old Nov 24th 2004, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

Teixeiradasilva is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi MJ12,

Our family has just moved to the Algarve from Herts, and after 3 months I would say the balance has been very positive. The two salient points which you highlight have both been extremely good: closeness to the UK and cheap flights, and availability of international schools. We did a fairly thorough search (and met with head teachers) of about 5 candidate schools, and finally settled on the school in Porches - very popular and we liked the educational ethos of the headmaster. Children attended a very good village school in the UK and I would say that the school here has kept pace with the standard there. We often compare what they are doing to what their UK colleagues are tackling and at present we are satisfied that there are no significant differences. Schooling is more structured here and with longer days encompassing extra-mural activities. They are jam-packed with stuff (probably too much). Private schooling here is about one-fifth of UK prices and extra-mural activities at least 50% cheaper.

Rental accomodation is easily available as the property market is a tad soft, especially in the middle valued properties. You really need to define an area as a first step.

Your biggest challenge will be jobs - there are, unfortunately, still many people that come out with very few qualifications (e.g. language skills) and get a job - but they are all 'filler type posts' and as a result there are many people doing very little full-time work and very many doing 'chores'. This is unlikely to change in the short term. For what it's worth, IT requirements down here are simple - it's easy to install broadband and wireless and so I imagine that basic PC repairs and simple network management might be a niche - I have seen a few ads in the local papers.

Let me know if you need anythig else.

Regards

Luis

Originally Posted by mj12
Hi all,
My family are thinking of moving to the Algarve from Australia as we have been here 12 mths & have decided we miss & want to be closer to family in Portugal & UK.

Does anyone have any info on living & working on Portugals Algarve, such as schools, sources for long-term rentals etc. I just want a unbiased view from anyone who has experience of area.

I realise there are a few books around but looking for personal experience in the first instance. I also appreciate the language may be a struggle but plan to work on that area. Also as far as jobs go my pardents has a business in travel industry & I was thinking of offering my IT skills to expats !!

Plus has anyone gone through what appears to be a hassle of shipping good from Australia to Portugal??

Tia

MJ12
Old Nov 25th 2004, 2:02 am
Just Joined

mj12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Luis,
Thanks for the positive reply. Could you tell me what other schools you considered? My parents are near Portimao, but we are flexible in our location although being close would be a bonus. With regards to rentals I can find hardly any long term on the internet & we are a little concerned that would have to move in & out of propertys with the seasons! BTW - Are you guys fluent in the language?

MJ12

Originally Posted by Teixeiradasilva
Hi MJ12,

Our family has just moved to the Algarve from Herts, and after 3 months I would say the balance has been very positive. The two salient points which you highlight have both been extremely good: closeness to the UK and cheap flights, and availability of international schools. We did a fairly thorough search (and met with head teachers) of about 5 candidate schools, and finally settled on the school in Porches - very popular and we liked the educational ethos of the headmaster. Children attended a very good village school in the UK and I would say that the school here has kept pace with the standard there. We often compare what they are doing to what their UK colleagues are tackling and at present we are satisfied that there are no significant differences. Schooling is more structured here and with longer days encompassing extra-mural activities. They are jam-packed with stuff (probably too much). Private schooling here is about one-fifth of UK prices and extra-mural activities at least 50% cheaper.

Rental accomodation is easily available as the property market is a tad soft, especially in the middle valued properties. You really need to define an area as a first step.

Your biggest challenge will be jobs - there are, unfortunately, still many people that come out with very few qualifications (e.g. language skills) and get a job - but they are all 'filler type posts' and as a result there are many people doing very little full-time work and very many doing 'chores'. This is unlikely to change in the short term. For what it's worth, IT requirements down here are simple - it's easy to install broadband and wireless and so I imagine that basic PC repairs and simple network management might be a niche - I have seen a few ads in the local papers.

Let me know if you need anythig else.

Regards

Luis
Old Nov 25th 2004, 11:44 am
Just Joined

Teixeiradasilva is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi MJ12,

We considered the International school between Vilamoura and Albufeira, Escola do Barlavento and the English school near Espiche (apologies but I have forgotten the names). We also thought of visiting a school in Almancil which has a good reputation but were warned off by rather precarious installations, so gave it a miss).

We are fluent in Portuguese, children and all, so it obviously helps. I would really not be concerned abotu the rental side - there is a lot on offer and at worst you can always drive and take a look at which areas you like when you get here. Being close to the school of choice is obviously a benefit.

Regards

Luis,
Thanks for the positive reply. Could you tell me what other schools you considered? My parents are near Portimao, but we are flexible in our location although being close would be a bonus. With regards to rentals I can find hardly any long term on the internet & we are a little concerned that would have to move in & out of propertys with the seasons! BTW - Are you guys fluent in the language?

MJ12
Old Apr 19th 2006, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Libby Fox is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Teixeiradasilva
Hi MJ12,

We considered the International school between Vilamoura and Albufeira, Escola do Barlavento and the English school near Espiche (apologies but I have forgotten the names). We also thought of visiting a school in Almancil which has a good reputation but were warned off by rather precarious installations, so gave it a miss).

We are fluent in Portuguese, children and all, so it obviously helps. I would really not be concerned abotu the rental side - there is a lot on offer and at worst you can always drive and take a look at which areas you like when you get here. Being close to the school of choice is obviously a benefit.

Regards
We have been considering moving to Goa but part of the family recommend we move to Spain/Portugal as it would be easier/cheaper to travel back to UK to visit children instead of keeping a base here. We would appreciate some idea with regards to cost of living, roughly how much would you say utility bills, food etc would cost (no takeaways/parties etc.) - just basic living costs. Appreciate any advise on areas too. Our needs are simple, we don't want to be near beaches or any tourist areas.
Many thanks
Libby
Old Apr 20th 2006, 4:22 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Libby Fox
We have been considering moving to Goa but part of the family recommend we move to Spain/Portugal as it would be easier/cheaper to travel back to UK to visit children instead of keeping a base here. We would appreciate some idea with regards to cost of living, roughly how much would you say utility bills, food etc would cost (no takeaways/parties etc.) - just basic living costs. Appreciate any advise on areas too. Our needs are simple, we don't want to be near beaches or any tourist areas.
Many thanks
Libby
Hi Libby
These are our approx costs,we live in western algarve,so not touristy!
Electric per month 70 euros
telephone and internet 60 euros
Gas bottles (large) 77 euros each
water...depends on how much you use,we pay approx 10 euros per month
Food humm supermarkets not cheap,local markets better,although fish and meat are quite expensive I guess for 2 of us we spend about 80-100 euros per week on food and wine
House insurance roughly 30 euros pm
Petrol...EXPENSIVE,not far off the uk prices,I think its 1.39 at the mo per litre for unleaded,
Spain is much cheaper than here for food,petrol,clothing,but not sure about utilities.
Hope that helps
Regards
CG
Old Apr 20th 2006, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

Libby Fox is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by clerigogirl
Hi Libby
These are our approx costs,we live in western algarve,so not touristy!
Electric per month 70 euros
telephone and internet 60 euros
Gas bottles (large) 77 euros each
water...depends on how much you use,we pay approx 10 euros per month
Food humm supermarkets not cheap,local markets better,although fish and meat are quite expensive I guess for 2 of us we spend about 80-100 euros per week on food and wine
House insurance roughly 30 euros pm
Petrol...EXPENSIVE,not far off the uk prices,I think its 1.39 at the mo per litre for unleaded,
Spain is much cheaper than here for food,petrol,clothing,but not sure about utilities.
Hope that helps
Regards
CG
CG thank you so much for this information that's great, at least it gives us a rough idea of costs. My husband has been to agencies this afternoon getting information on Spain. But he's still going on about Goa Well let's see where we eventually end up.

Many thanks
Regards
Libby
Old Apr 26th 2006, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

moving man is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Tia

MJ12
yes a few times.. contact AIM Removals & Storage www.aim.com.pt 282799141
Old Apr 26th 2006, 2:54 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moving man
yes a few times.. contact AIM Removals & Storage www.aim.com.pt 282799141
We used AIM and found them to be very good,friends have also used them and were very pleased with the service
Old Jun 12th 2006, 11:19 am
Just Joined

KarenE is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

My family are moving to the Algrve next year, my partner has a job, he is going over in Sept, the rest of us to follow once things have sorted themselves out. I have 3 school age daughters and wandered whether you could help me out with info on schools? Did you recieve any feedback from your message? I already know about the International School but wandered about local Portguese schools, as the Iternational School would be very expensive. Any help you be gratefully recieved.

Many thanks

Karen

Hi all,

Tia

MJ12
Old Aug 27th 2006, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

Diane_76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Algarve Info Request

Hi, my husband is British and we finally built up the courage to relocate to the Algarve. We considered various International Schools and local public schools but like I mentioned to another member on this forum, we found one school in particular that really impressed us! They are all reasonably good, but Vale Verde International School had one of the best academic records (100% IGCSE pass rate since opening) We went and visited the school and loved the surroundings and facilities. We will definatley be enroling our daughter there. You may want to ckeck out TISOA and others can be found in the search engine.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Diane_76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Diane_76
Hi, my husband is British and we finally built up the courage to relocate to the Algarve. We considered various International Schools and local public schools but like I mentioned to another member on this forum, we found one school in particular that really impressed us! They are all reasonably good, but Vale Verde International School had one of the best academic records (100% IGCSE pass rate since opening) We went and visited the school and loved the surroundings and facilities. We will definatley be enroling our daughter there. You may want to ckeck out TISOA and others can be found in the search engine.
And also regarding fees, VVIS International School Algarve seems to have the best value for money. You can find a breakdown of all the schools' fees in the area on ther respective web sites.