Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Algarve - Best food destination in Europe

Algarve - Best food destination in Europe

Old Oct 26th 2018, 10:34 am
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Algarve - Best food destination in Europe

Makes it all worthwhile.....
Algarve crowned Best Gastronomic Destination in Europe - The Portugal News
.... Better for you than deep-fried-mars-bars...
Old Oct 26th 2018, 3:56 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Algarve - Best food destination in Europe

Originally Posted by 007Steve
Makes it all worthwhile.....
Algarve crowned Best Gastronomic Destination in Europe - The Portugal News
.... Better for you than deep-fried-mars-bars...
They obviously did not visit the chips with everything tourist restaurants.,
Old Oct 27th 2018, 7:13 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

You lucky devils. And chips too, you say?

Hope you're making the most of it. Up here in the Frozen North, we get fobbed off with gristly pigs' ears, stewed blood and the occasional bit of tripe if we're in a particularly decadent mood. Or a salted sardine.
Old Oct 27th 2018, 7:16 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric

Hope you're making the most of it. Up here in the Frozen North, we get fobbed off with gristly pigs' ears, stewed blood and the occasional bit of tripe if we're in a particularly decadent mood. Or a salted sardine.
Apart from a few premium restaurants the Portuguese food we have had in the north has usually been much better than in the Algarve.
But the weather , a different matter.
Old Oct 27th 2018, 7:45 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

We like to turn the taps on when we get an invasion - stops the buggers coming back.

And keep schtum about the food, please.
Old Oct 27th 2018, 11:50 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric

Don't forget the cabbage.........
Old Oct 27th 2018, 12:02 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

My FiL lived between Aveiro and Viseu.
When I first visited (during the late stone age) I was introduced to the delights of blindfold food and drink (broa, feijoada, canja, morangeiro...), don't ask, just taste.
In Ireland we always said we ate every part of the pig but the whistle. When I spoke to my Da, I told him that in Portugal they eat the whistle too............
I introduced "fusion food" to the family ...... a full Irish a la Portugaise: ovos fritos, morcela, farinheira, presunto e salsicha fresca with broa in place of soda bread. Two problems, at that time field mushrooms were mistrusted, hard to find and even harder to get anyone to eat..... and the fact that a meal without cabbage was almost unknown!
On the other hand, back in the UK my go-to easy meal is "Feijoada a inglesa", heinz beans, pre-fried bacon and black pudding, black pepper - and NO CABBAGE!!
Old Oct 27th 2018, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

But did you see which restaurant won the top award ??
The restaurant Infante Panor mico, in Praia Verde (Castro Marim), was also one of the winners, after being elected ‘Best European Restaurant 2018’.

In summer the place is a zoo ! Huge, noisy and unexceptional food..

Amazing just below it is "Pezinhos na areia" - far superior. A proper restaurant with linen tablecloths, a rare item in the region.
Old Oct 27th 2018, 5:48 pm
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
But did you see which restaurant won the top award ??
The restaurant Infante Panor m..ico, in Praia Verde (Castro Marim), was also one of the winners, after being elected ‘Best European Restaurant 2018’.
In summer the place is a zoo ! Huge, noisy and unexceptional food..

Amazing just below it is "Pezinhos na areia" - far superior. A proper restaurant with linen tablecloths, a rare item in the region.
But look at the view LA !
OK, so maybe it's not 5 star but the fact that it's sooooo crowded tells you something about what people go there for.
And macliam, ....you can have cabbage there any way you want!
Old Oct 29th 2018, 12:44 pm
EMR
Banned

Originally Posted by macliam
My FiL lived between Aveiro and Viseu.
When I first visited (during the late stone age) I was introduced to the delights of blindfold food and drink (broa, feijoada, canja, morangeiro...), don't ask, just taste.
In Ireland we always said we ate every part of the pig but the whistle. When I spoke to my Da, I told him that in Portugal they eat the whistle too............
I introduced "fusion food" to the family ...... a full Irish a la Portugaise: ovos fritos, morcela, farinheira, presunto e salsicha fresca with broa in place of soda bread. Two problems, at that time field mushrooms were mistrusted, hard to find and even harder to get anyone to eat..... and the fact that a meal without cabbage was almost unknown!
On the other hand, back in the UK my go-to easy meal is "Feijoada a inglesa", heinz beans, pre-fried bacon and black pudding, black pepper - and NO CABBAGE!!
Beans and cabbage, a volatile combination.,🤔
Old Oct 29th 2018, 1:15 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by EMR
Beans and cabbage, a volatile combination.,🤔
Interestingly, the results are known in Portuguese as "fruto seco"
Old Oct 29th 2018, 1:21 pm
EMR
Banned

Originally Posted by macliam
Interestingly, the results are known in Portuguese as "fruto seco"
I was watching a cookery prog on Saturday , one of the Thai dishes translated literraly as " stinky beans "..
Old Oct 31st 2018, 3:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

We have some exceptional restaurants In the Algarve. People just have to know where ,and be prepared to pay a little extra. OH and I just went to a fairly basic Italian restaurant at the behest of some friends and their visitors. A lot of time was spent on finding the most recognisable dishes ( for Brits) and then finding the cheapest wine ( because of course they wanted more than one bottle) After what was a very reasonable , if not exceptional meal the OH of the visiting couple said . ' You get very poor food here don't you! Surprised I asked why he said that. 'Well its very basic isn't it.' 'In what way I persisted' He struggled for a minute and then said'Well there are no sauces like the French cuisine- I laughed. I said you do know why the French invented sauces don't you? Because their basic ingredients were crap. It was to disguise food that had gone 'off' well past its sell by date. The Portuguese food is fresh and not messed about with. I then asked him where he and his wife went to eat in Winchester ( where they live) 'Oh we don't go out to eat there he said huffily Far too expensive. Talk about confused. His wife then looked at me a little accusingly. 'Don't you have dinner parties here in your own homes'? Um no I said sweetly we don't need to ... plenty of places to eat out here. cheaply as we have tonight... or more expensively if we want to.
I find that most British visitors want cheap and cheerful with plenty of inexpensive booze. Gourmet is not top of their list.
Old Oct 31st 2018, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

I love your story GeniB. How very accurate!
Old Oct 31st 2018, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

I find that most British visitors want cheap and cheerful with plenty of inexpensive booze. Gourmet is not top of their list.
That's the problem, yes there are some excellent restaurants around but , if you check the dreaded TripAdvsiors there seems to be an invisible barrier at about maximum of €20,- per person..Above that, far tooo expensive, they may even have white linen tablecloths which of course enables them to charge more.

Last edited by Loafing Along; Oct 31st 2018 at 5:05 pm. Reason: Spelling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.