Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Airbnb as long term rental

Airbnb as long term rental

Old May 27th 2022, 7:44 am
Just Joined

MikeB2169 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Airbnb as long term rental

We have been struggling to find 12 month rental for our D7 Visa and our consulate date is fast approaching.We have 3 very small dogs so this may be the problem, when we have found rentals that will take dogs trying to get anyone to respond to you is proving impossible.We have found Airbnb long term rental which will take us and the dogs but not sure if this will be acceptable? Also there seem to be more rentals available for 6 months and just wondered if two 6 month rental would work
Old May 27th 2022, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

andywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Airbnb as long term rental

Hiya Mike
Finding a long term rental was a massive problem for us too mainly due to being in the algarve, where landlords tend to want to rent out for 6 months in the winter, then week by week in the summer for a lot more money and no contracts to be signed in the week by week summer months...............and I am not suggesting for one minute that there is any tax evasion going on in that arrangement (and because of our dogs as well) so we just ended up buying somewhere........ you might consider that a bit extreme but its worked, can I maybe suggest an option that we almost went with, we did find a rental on idealista for 175euro a month, up north somewhere, it would not have been possible to live there for us but for the sake of 2100euro so about £1800 you have a contract, we had no intention of living there but it would have served a purpose................then explore the country until you decide where you want to live...we have ended up 500km away from our initial destination, there is plenty of portugal to see without being near the coast or in the algarve..........which we discovered ourselves and are now moving into a lovely little village in the mountains.

We did not have anything in place at the time of the consulate meeting in Manchester by the way............we just came here under the advice 'send me your rental contract or house deeds once you have them in place' ............. so I really would not panic too much about............. in fact trust me I am far from a 'winging it' type of person but it took us almost 9 months to supply all of the information required due to the problems listed above, then we got our 120 day visa stamp in our passports via DHL postage service and appt with SEF booked in............ being able to relax into a 'winging it' type is definitely an advantage here ........
Old May 27th 2022, 11:08 am
Just Joined

MikeB2169 is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for that I will certainly look at that option we have our meeting in London because we live in the South east and I have heard that the Manchester office is much more helpful and easy going but anything anyone can suggest will be appreciated
Old May 27th 2022, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

PJC61 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MikeB2169
Many thanks for that I will certainly look at that option we have our meeting in London because we live in the South east and I have heard that the Manchester office is much more helpful and easy going but anything anyone can suggest will be appreciated
If your in the south east then you have no choice, you have to use London. However, from reading other peoples stories, London appears to be the better option. VFS there handle everything but in Manchester VFS only do so much paperwork then you have to trek to the Portuguese consulate in the city centre to have your application completed. Although we used Manchester, I have to say the service was brilliant.

I do agree though that finding a long term rental can be a pain and was the biggest hurdle we faced.
Old May 27th 2022, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

NSG666 is a jewel in the roughNSG666 is a jewel in the roughNSG666 is a jewel in the roughNSG666 is a jewel in the roughNSG666 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by PJC61
If your in the south east then you have no choice, you have to use London. However, from reading other peoples stories, London appears to be the better option. VFS there handle everything but in Manchester VFS only do so much paperwork then you have to trek to the Portuguese consulate in the city centre to have your application completed. Although we used Manchester, I have to say the service was brilliant.

I do agree though that finding a long term rental can be a pain and was the biggest hurdle we faced.
From what I've read on a FB group VFS Manchester now do the whole lot too - I did have to hop back on here and read (I think) yours and andywally's posts to check that it used to be the case of VFS 1st followed by Consulate.
Old May 27th 2022, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

NSG666 is a jewel in the roughNSG666 is a jewel in the roughNSG666 is a jewel in the roughNSG666 is a jewel in the roughNSG666 is a jewel in the rough

If it's a 12 month rental agreement with Airbnb then it will be ok - if you've got FB then look at the Britsh Expats group on there as there is loads of info and people to ask who have recently been, or are going, through the process. There are some helpful people on here but what was valid 6 months ago might not be now and vice versa.
Old May 27th 2022, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

PJC61 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NSG666
From what I've read on a FB group VFS Manchester now do the whole lot too - I did have to hop back on here and read (I think) yours and andywally's posts to check that it used to be the case of VFS 1st followed by Consulate.
That is a useful update for anyone just setting out on their D7 journey via Manchester, VFS handling everything and cutting the consulate out will make life much easier.