Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

advice on common-in-law laws in portugal

advice on common-in-law laws in portugal

Old Oct 28th 2007, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

aaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really nice
Default advice on common-in-law laws in portugal

hi i wonder if you could all help,the quick story is!!My mum has asked me to find out for her what the common in law laws are in portugal.basically my mother is selling up her andmoving to portugal, her boyfriend is also planning to move over and live in a very small property.my mother is planning to invest ALOT of money into a property,her boyfriend on the other hand does not plan too,and says he has ways of living in portugal,she would like to know if the laws are the same as in the u.k, as in if your partner stays over 4 nights a week they are intitled to half of what you own,if they split up,or he dies etc as they are your common in law partner.We are desperate for advice as many factors are making us want to protect her as soon as possible.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

Sibs is a jewel in the roughSibs is a jewel in the roughSibs is a jewel in the roughSibs is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: advice on common-in-law laws in portugal

Hi, I might be completely wrong on this but I was under the impression that in the UK the common-law thing was a myth?
Old Oct 29th 2007, 11:47 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aaron and jo
hi i wonder if you could all help,the quick story is!!My mum has asked me to find out for her what the common in law laws are in portugal.basically my mother is selling up her andmoving to portugal, her boyfriend is also planning to move over and live in a very small property.my mother is planning to invest ALOT of money into a property,her boyfriend on the other hand does not plan too,and says he has ways of living in portugal,she would like to know if the laws are the same as in the u.k, as in if your partner stays over 4 nights a week they are intitled to half of what you own,if they split up,or he dies etc as they are your common in law partner.We are desperate for advice as many factors are making us want to protect her as soon as possible.
You really need proper legal advice on this subject or you could get a nasty surprise.
Also find out what the inheretance laws are with unmarried couples in Porugal as well, as in Spain they are evil, like up to 82% tax, without the neccessary paperwork to cover it.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Sibs is a jewel in the roughSibs is a jewel in the roughSibs is a jewel in the roughSibs is a jewel in the rough

Hi

Here's some advice for people living in UK:
http://advicenow.org.uk/go/livingtogether/index

For Portugal, I would also say get some good legal advice and also sort out some wills.

Sarah
Old Oct 29th 2007, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

brodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sibs
Hi

Here's some advice for people living in UK:
http://advicenow.org.uk/go/livingtogether/index

For Portugal, I would also say get some good legal advice and also sort out some wills.

Sarah
The above only applies to people living in England and Wales. The law in Scotland is different
Old Oct 29th 2007, 10:27 pm
Digging the tunnel

langkate is a name known to alllangkate is a name known to alllangkate is a name known to alllangkate is a name known to alllangkate is a name known to alllangkate is a name known to alllangkate is a name known to alllangkate is a name known to alllangkate is a name known to alllangkate is a name known to alllangkate is a name known to all

I learned the hard way that common law does not exist in England. No need for gory details, but I can strongly advise that wills are drawn up and that is the only safe way to deal with financial issues. Good luck in all you do.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

aaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really nice

thanks everyone for your replies,at least i can point my mum in the right direction!!
Old Oct 30th 2007, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

Novulus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
Also find out what the inheretance laws are with unmarried couples in Porugal as well, as in Spain they are evil, like up to 82% tax, without the neccessary paperwork to cover it.
Inheritance tax has been abolished 3 years ago in Portugal and was replaced by a stamp duty of 0.8% for close relatives and 10.8% for others

As far as I know (and I don't know that much, since I'm not a solicitor) Common in law marriages ('unioes de facto', singular -uniao de facto) in Portugal do not grant any property or inheritance rights to any surviving partner (apart from having first choice in buying the deceased's home).