Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Additional/Unforeseen Benefits of BE Forum

Additional/Unforeseen Benefits of BE Forum

Old May 21st 2021, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Additional/Unforeseen Benefits of BE Forum

About a year and a half ago I did a google search to find information on moving to Portugal and I came across the BE forum. Since then I have been able to learn many things relevant to moving to Portugal, becoming resident and carrying out the multitude of other things I needed to do to become legal. I have learned many, many other very important things during that time. some of which I wish I'd learned sooner.

Just over two weeks ago I fell off my bike going quite slowly on a public road and ended up in Portimao Hospital for two weeks with a broken leg. The doctor told me I couldn't have done much more damage to it as the bone was broken in three places and there was also extensive soft tissue damage. Because of the swelling from the soft tissue it was nine days before surgery took place, but I'm glad to say that I am home now.

The ambulance people and rescue service were first on the scene (in the pouring rain) and worked hard and professionally to stabilise me and to get me into an alliance. The doctors, nurses, physios and also the orderlies at the hospital were kind and sympathetic, and almost all spoke a good level of English. There were a few things not to my liking but they are not important now so no need to comment further.

Basically I know very few people here and certainly do not have family any closer than the UK, so I was very much on my own in hospital. On day one when I asked for water an orderly got me a paper cup of tap water. When I asked for another one later the (local) guy in the next bed reached over and gave me a 1.5ltr bottle of water, and wouldn't take no for an answer. He spoke zero English which matched my Portuguese, but we were able to communicate. I later learned he's been there for a very long time.

By commenting to a thread on this forum and explaining where I was I received offers of help. I also received a PM from a member telling me that the sender knew what I was going through as she had gone through an horrific car accident about five years ago and was hospitalised for four months. Her husband was also severely injured. She asked me what I needed and the following day went to a property agent to get a spare set of keys to my apartment and brought me clothes, phone charging cable, fruit, water and other bits and bobs to make my stay more comfortable (her husband had to wait outside as only one visitor is allowed due to covid).

She visited again after that for a top up of supplies, possibly twice, and yesterday when I was finally allowed to be discharged she came to the hospital with her husband to take me home, but not before searching high and low around Lagos yesterday morning to secure crutches, a zimmer frame and a wheelchair, all of which I will need on a daily basis as I am not allowed to put my foot down for the next three months.

After arriving at my apartment they then went off to get my prescription and then on to the supermarket to buy provisions for my fridge. And if that wasn't enough they then went out and bought pizza for dinner!

I had never met these people in my life and I didn't know them yet they went miles out of their way to come to my rescue in my time of need. Honestly I wouldn't have believed such people exist in the world we all now live in but my faith in humanity has been restored to a very high level. I have no idea what I would have done had these wonderful people not been there to help me. Even the thought of that makes me want to weep.

I owe them a huge debt of gratitude and I'm happy to say that I now have two true friends in Lagos; two people who I'm confident I will be in regular contact with for the future.

My membership to the BE forum paid off in a way I could never have imagined, and wouldn't wish anyone else to have to go through.

Richard
Old May 21st 2021, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Campanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really nice
Default Re: Additional/Unforeseen Benefits of BE Forum

Good to hear you are home and about your Good Samaritans
Old May 21st 2021, 2:32 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sportpix
About a year and a half ago I did a google search to find information on moving to Portugal and I came across the BE forum. Since then I have been able to learn many things relevant to moving to Portugal, becoming resident and carrying out the multitude of other things I needed to do to become legal. I have learned many, many other very important things during that time. some of which I wish I'd learned sooner.

Just over two weeks ago I fell off my bike going quite slowly on a public road and ended up in Portimao Hospital for two weeks with a broken leg. The doctor told me I couldn't have done much more damage to it as the bone was broken in three places and there was also extensive soft tissue damage. Because of the swelling from the soft tissue it was nine days before surgery took place, but I'm glad to say that I am home now.

The ambulance people and rescue service were first on the scene (in the pouring rain) and worked hard and professionally to stabilise me and to get me into an alliance. The doctors, nurses, physios and also the orderlies at the hospital were kind and sympathetic, and almost all spoke a good level of English. There were a few things not to my liking but they are not important now so no need to comment further.

Basically I know very few people here and certainly do not have family any closer than the UK, so I was very much on my own in hospital. On day one when I asked for water an orderly got me a paper cup of tap water. When I asked for another one later the (local) guy in the next bed reached over and gave me a 1.5ltr bottle of water, and wouldn't take no for an answer. He spoke zero English which matched my Portuguese, but we were able to communicate. I later learned he's been there for a very long time.

By commenting to a thread on this forum and explaining where I was I received offers of help. I also received a PM from a member telling me that the sender knew what I was going through as she had gone through an horrific car accident about five years ago and was hospitalised for four months. Her husband was also severely injured. She asked me what I needed and the following day went to a property agent to get a spare set of keys to my apartment and brought me clothes, phone charging cable, fruit, water and other bits and bobs to make my stay more comfortable (her husband had to wait outside as only one visitor is allowed due to covid).

She visited again after that for a top up of supplies, possibly twice, and yesterday when I was finally allowed to be discharged she came to the hospital with her husband to take me home, but not before searching high and low around Lagos yesterday morning to secure crutches, a zimmer frame and a wheelchair, all of which I will need on a daily basis as I am not allowed to put my foot down for the next three months.

After arriving at my apartment they then went off to get my prescription and then on to the supermarket to buy provisions for my fridge. And if that wasn't enough they then went out and bought pizza for dinner!

I had never met these people in my life and I didn't know them yet they went miles out of their way to come to my rescue in my time of need. Honestly I wouldn't have believed such people exist in the world we all now live in but my faith in humanity has been restored to a very high level. I have no idea what I would have done had these wonderful people not been there to help me. Even the thought of that makes me want to weep.

I owe them a huge debt of gratitude and I'm happy to say that I now have two true friends in Lagos; two people who I'm confident I will be in regular contact with for the future.

My membership to the BE forum paid off in a way I could never have imagined, and wouldn't wish anyone else to have to go through.

Richard
Your post brought tears to my eyes Richard. What lovely people to do all that for you, and what a difference they made to your recovery and comfort. It was so good to read and if they're reading this, it's people like you who make our world a better place.

Wishing you the best of luck as you fully recover Richard, and I'm so glad that you've found your wonderful new friends.
Old May 21st 2021, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear that you got some help 👍👋👋

Hopefully you can recover quickly and get back to normal

Good luck
Old May 21st 2021, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear you have been helped and that there are some wonderful people in this world.
Old May 21st 2021, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

Abdc21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Richard
Glad you are back home and hope you have a quick recovery. Such acts as those shown to you by your now new friends do indeed restore faith in the human race. Get better soon.
Old May 21st 2021, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Sportpix said "Because of the swelling from the soft tissue it was nine days before surgery took place"

So that explains why you had to wait so long for the fixing of your leg/ankle - nasty injury!

So pleased that you were able to get back to your flat and hope the recovery goes well, though that IS going to be a long job - no Olympics for you this year. Your new friends have been a godsend to you in your hour of need and it sounds like their help to you was much appreciated. An "ill-wind" blew in your good samaritans! Keep well and take it easy. Can you stagger as far as your balcony for a glass of the red-stuff in the sunshine? Cheers!
Old May 21st 2021, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

Very best wishes to you on your recovery. You have made 2 wonderful friends I think. So nice to hear that there are still people like those 2 out there.
Have a couple of red ones!! Take care.
Old May 21st 2021, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Chwarae teg (fair play) as we say in Wales.
Old May 22nd 2021, 7:55 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Forums can bring out the worst and best in people..... for every "armchair warrior" there is someone else ready to help. I'm pleased you encountered the latter - and that it may have a longer-term positive impact on your experience in Portugal.

Your recovery may take some time, but luckily you are in a good place for it - enjoy some good food and drink and some good company.
Old May 22nd 2021, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

So pleased that you are now back home and that you have met some lovely, helpful people. There are still some left in this world.

Take care of yourself, be careful and keep that leg up x
Old May 22nd 2021, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
Sportpix said "Because of the swelling from the soft tissue it was nine days before surgery took place"

So that explains why you had to wait so long for the fixing of your leg/ankle - nasty injury!

So pleased that you were able to get back to your flat and hope the recovery goes well, though that IS going to be a long job - no Olympics for you this year. Your new friends have been a godsend to you in your hour of need and it sounds like their help to you was much appreciated. An "ill-wind" blew in your good samaritans! Keep well and take it easy. Can you stagger as far as your balcony for a glass of the red-stuff in the sunshine? Cheers!
Thanks RA. I well remember reading about the Good Samaritan when forced to go to Sunday school, however I never expected to meet not one but two of them in person! I had a "moment" after arriving home from the hospital and when then Samaritans, already exhausted from the day, set off once again for the pharmacy to get my meds, when it dawned on me I had absolutely no idea how I could have got home and acquired the three essential mobility devices had they not done it all for me. I wept. As I've got a bag full of pills and other stuff that need to be taken for the next week and more I'm avoiding the red and just having a zero alcohol beer at night. I don't want to do something silly and undo the highly professional work that the medical people have done on my behalf. That would be an insult to them and I won't do that. Many thanks to all who have commented with get well soon messages. I appreciate you taking the time. Richard
Old May 22nd 2021, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

robbie20 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks RA. I well remember reading about the Good Samaritan when forced to go to Sunday school, however I never expected to meet not one but two of them in person! I had a "moment" after arriving home from the hospital and when then Samaritans, already exhausted from the day, set off once again for the pharmacy to get my meds, when it dawned on me I had absolutely no idea how I could have got home and acquired the three essential mobility devices had they not done it all for me. I wept. As I've got a bag full of pills and other stuff that need to be taken for the next week and more I'm avoiding the red and just having a zero alcohol beer at night. I don't want to do something silly and undo the highly professional work that the medical people have done on my behalf. That would be an insult to them and I won't do that. Many thanks to all who have commented with get well soon messages. I appreciate you taking the time. Richard
So very sorry to hear about your accident whilst out cycling. Yes stories like this does make you truly appreciate there are some wonderful people out there. I hope you make sure to rest as required and get back to full health as quickly as possible. Continue to eat and drink good healthy food. x
Old May 22nd 2021, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

It is good to hear also that the medics were highly professional - did you ever transfer to Private care, or was this on SNS health services care - I am sure others will be interested to hear your opinion/advice on the care you did get? Do you get follow-up nursing at home or do you go back for OutPatient checkups - have you got a massive plaster cast on that leg?

Anyway, you are on the mend now - but take it easy!!!!
Old May 22nd 2021, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

When I broke my ankle, 9 years ago, Faro Hospital did a half cast. Never seen it before, but it was open at the front - easy for scratvching lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.