Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Acquiring Portuguese Residency vs Staying UK Resident ? Pros and Cons ?

Acquiring Portuguese Residency vs Staying UK Resident ? Pros and Cons ?

Old Nov 23rd 2020, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Acquiring Portuguese Residency vs Staying UK Resident ? Pros and Cons ?

Glad to see you're okay BillB.

I had similar in Faro Hospital, when I broke my ankle.Also when I had a blip with too much ventolin

I had a huge op, also in Faro, surgeons brilliant, nurses the same. After care was a little lacking, but we had a brilliant nurse in the centro de saude in Fuzeta.
Old Nov 23rd 2020, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Acquiring Portuguese Residency vs Staying UK Resident ? Pros and Cons ?

Also, had problem with something on the eye lid - all in the same year...... the eye surgeon gave me his mobile phone number, in case of problems.

But that was about 9 years ago, so maybe things have changed.
Old Nov 23rd 2020, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bons
Wow, glad you're ok. Will there be any further treatment or have you been given a clean bill of health barring rest?
I think I just need to take it easy for a week to be sure of a full recovery. The scan was CT scan not an MRI scan as I said previously and I got an all clear from the doctor.
Old Nov 24th 2020, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really nice

I had 35 weeks Radiotherapy in Faro following breast cancer op in Portimao. Hubby also had Radiotherapy in Faro following cancer op in Lisbon. I then had total hip replacement in Portimao following fall. All SNS and no complaints whatsoever.

Old Nov 24th 2020, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BillBullock
I think I just need to take it easy for a week to be sure of a full recovery. The scan was CT scan not an MRI scan as I said previously and I got an all clear from the doctor.
Make sure you do, I had a blow to the head once and had concussion, it took me a couple of weeks to feel right again.
Old Nov 24th 2020, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BillBullock
Just had emergency treatment at Faro hospital (SNS) and could not fault it. Fell over yesterday (Sunday) after tripping, landed on the back of my head (don't ask me how I did that as I should have landed on my front), out cold for a few minutes and obviously concussed. Ambulance arrived pretty quickly (we live out in the sticks) and I was whisked off to the hospital. Excellent treatment including MRI scan of brain (nothing found) and blood tests. Everyone spoke English as I was confused and still a bit shocked. Portuguese does not come naturally to me; I once had a dream in Portuguese but it didn't last very long.. After a thorough examination, someone phoned my wife to come and pick me up; they have your phone numbers on the SNS computer system . Everyone we have spoken to about emergency treatment at Faro hospital says they could not fault the treatment and that includes serious, sudden illnesses.
Hi Bill, loved your post. Damn shame they couldn’t find a brain ... I have all this to look forward to when I return to Portugal, possibly in January if Boris and his gang don’t do any more damage with a fifth or sixth lockdown. I try to avoid all things medical and even get nervous driving past a hospital! Mostly I fear for my wife who seems to have a habit of falling or tripping over. Last year she fell off her bike (coming back from the gym...) and broke BOTH arms... The joys (or otherwise) of getting old...
keep well