Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Acceptable monthly income

Acceptable monthly income

Old Jul 5th 2020, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Acceptable monthly income

What would be cosidered a living monthly net wage in Portugal, including owning your own house.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Acceptable monthly income

Minimum wage, which is about 600 euros a month, I think.

But surely proving this is not necessary as long as we are EU citizens?
Old Jul 5th 2020, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by suiko
Minimum wage, which is about 600 euros a month, I think.

But surely proving this is not necessary as long as we are EU citizens?
I don't know, the more I read the more confused I become.
I was reading this

https://algarvedailynews.com/brexit/...encyThankfully, the regime in Portugal for EU citizens is very straightforward when compared to that of the UK. You need to go to the Câmara in person and take with you the following documents:

Workers, pensioners and students:
⦁ a valid identity document - passport

⦁ proof of address known as the Atestado de Residência. For this you first need to go to your local Junta de Freguesia – or Parish Council office – and take with you:
Photocopy of Passport
Photocopy of Fiscal number
Caderneta - house deeds - if you own the house. If you are renting, then you must show your rental agreement.

or

⦁ a declaration on oath that you have sufficient financial resources* for yourself and your family members. Currently, because of the agreement Portugal has with the UK there is no need for UK citizens to have a private health insurance policy but be aware that this may change after Brexit. If you come from an EU country that asks Portuguese migrants to have a health insurance policy, then you too will require this and provide proof.

* Proof, in writing, that you have sufficient means to live in Portugal without becoming a burden on the state. For example a bank statement, pension payments etc.
*The EU law that defines ‘sufficient financial resources’ reads:
‘Member States may not lay down a fixed amount which they regard as ‘sufficient resources’, but they must take into account the personal situation of the person concerned. In all cases this amount shall not be higher than the threshold below which nationals of the host Member State become eligible for social assistance, or, where this criterion is not applicable, higher than the minimum social security pension paid by the host Member State.’

2018 - in Portugal the amount is €269.08 paid in 14 payments annually, which is €3,767 p.a.Students also require an additional declaration on oath that they are registered with an officially accredited public or private educational establishment.

When I registered at my local Câmara no actual wording for the declaration was given on the form and I had to write my own in Portuguese. This may not be the same across the country but if you wish to use this wording please do:

Last edited by bons; Jul 5th 2020 at 1:06 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 1:54 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

That article seems a bit muddled.

If you do a declaration of honour, the need for proof is being dispensed with.

That's not to say that proof of means is never requested by any Câmara, though.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red Eric
That article seems a bit muddled.

If you do a declaration of honour, the need for proof is being dispensed with.

That's not to say that proof of means is never requested by any Câmara, though.
There it is in a nutshell. I think I have it sussed, then someone comes along and tells me it's not.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 2:18 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bons
There it is in a nutshell. I think I have it sussed, then someone comes along and tells me it's not.
Given that the way things are done ofter varies from camara to camara, if not person to person, you'll have to get used to that.

I have been told that instructions are often framed in the way "the operative must satisfty themself that...." - and some require more to satisfy themselves than others.

However, it is the "negatives" that stick in your mind, so people will warn you about the bad things that can happen..... ignoring the 95% of times when there's no problem. But, the issue is, if you expect 100%, you'll be disappointed.

Last edited by macliam; Jul 5th 2020 at 2:20 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 6:23 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I'm doing my best to provide a reasonable degree of reassurance without overstepping the mark and appearing to issue a guarantee.

None of us can say with complete certainty how any one of the hundreds of Câmaras are going to deal with your 2 current main concerns. Apart from the impossibility of acquaintance with all of them, in the case of the one to which we each applied they may have changed their procedure or have a flexible approach depending on the basis on which the applicant is requesting the certificate, or since have changed their own approach on their own initiative, or been issued guidelines by a national authority, to which we're not privy.

I've got my own experience, the accounts of hundreds of people read over years of belonging to various forums and careful reading of the applicable official websites right up to checking out the appropriate laws as published in Portuguese, all informing what I post, so it's obviously more than random thoughts but it only goes so far when it comes to a new arrival presenting themselves and requesting a certificate.

Generally it is a very straightforward procedure. There's a strong probability that you will not be asked about financial means at all, or that if you are it is a matter of signing a short statement to the effect that you have sufficient. That is one thing which will definitely change for people arriving after the transition period ends - they will have to provide documentary proof in whatever form demanded by the SEF, to whom they will be applying rather than the nice, friendly, local town hall. Not that the SEF are necessarily unfriendly, you understand. They just work in slightly different ways and to different criteria.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red Eric
I'm doing my best to provide a reasonable degree of reassurance without overstepping the mark and appearing to issue a guarantee.

None of us can say with complete certainty how any one of the hundreds of Câmaras are going to deal with your 2 current main concerns. Apart from the impossibility of acquaintance with all of them, in the case of the one to which we each applied they may have changed their procedure or have a flexible approach depending on the basis on which the applicant is requesting the certificate, or since have changed their own approach on their own initiative, or been issued guidelines by a national authority, to which we're not privy.

I've got my own experience, the accounts of hundreds of people read over years of belonging to various forums and careful reading of the applicable official websites right up to checking out the appropriate laws as published in Portuguese, all informing what I post, so it's obviously more than random thoughts but it only goes so far when it comes to a new arrival presenting themselves and requesting a certificate.

Generally it is a very straightforward procedure. There's a strong probability that you will not be asked about financial means at all, or that if you are it is a matter of signing a short statement to the effect that you have sufficient. That is one thing which will definitely change for people arriving after the transition period ends - they will have to provide documentary proof in whatever form demanded by the SEF, to whom they will be applying rather than the nice, friendly, local town hall. Not that the SEF are necessarily unfriendly, you understand. They just work in slightly different ways and to different criteria.
I really do appreciate you talking the time to reply. All of this has occurred because we couldn't leave the UK earlier and Brexit deadline is upon us. If we had the time, I'd just turn up and suss it out whilst I was there, if we don't get it right we'll miss out, we need to hit the ground running. I suppose I don't understand when we should register with the camara, is it on arrival? when you get a rental agreement?do I need a rental agreement if I can prove I can support myself? Do I have to wait 90 days before registering, if I do and I can't get there until early November, am I stuffed anyway as it goes over Brexit deadline? If I come earlier and register, I'll need a tax number, presumably , then that will have a knock on affect in England and complicate tax matters. If I register, but not my husband, so he's a resident in the UK and I'm a resident in Portugal, will I be able to add him to my residency after Brexit?

So many questions. Thanks anyway to everyone who has replied.I know nobody can give totally definitive answers, but your experiences do help.

Last edited by bons; Jul 6th 2020 at 8:23 am.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I really do appreciate you talking the time to reply. All of this has occurred because we couldn't leave the UK earlier and Brexit deadline is upon us. I suppose I don't understand when we should register with the camara, is it on arrival? when you get a rental agreement?do I need a rental agreement if I can prove I can support myself? Do I have to wait 90 days before registering, if I do and I can't get there until early November, am I stuffed anyway as it goes over Brexit deadline? If I come earlier and register, I'll need a tax number, presumably , then that will have a knock on affect in England and complicate tax matters. If I register, but not my husband, so he's a resident in the UK and I'm a resident in Portugal, will I be able to add him to my residency after Brexit?

So many questions. Thanks anyway to everyone who has replied.I know nobody can give totally definitive answers, but your experiences do help.
I still don't understand why you want to rush and even after the deadline, there will be options. Just split your time for now and keep a home in the UK. It will also give you more time to explore parts of Portugal without the panic.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I still don't understand why you want to rush and even after the deadline, there will be options. Just split your time for now and keep a home in the UK. It will also give you more time to explore parts of Portugal without the panic.
We won't be in the EU, that will change everything. Portugal is probably a bit peed off with the UK at the moment as it's not part of the air corridor, they might make it harder of UK citizens, who knows? I don't feel I can take the chance.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point

Eric (and other experienced residents), your advice and knowledge are invaluable. Many thanks!

My main doubt now is whether the Camara will accept a short-term Air B&B rental without a formal rental agreement. I think I can arrange a longer-term rental with people I've been in contact with, but no one wants to do a rental agreement. I could go to the Camara with some evidence of the Air B&B, but in my September visit I'm unlikely to have time to get a more formal agreement if they turn that down.

Main question is, in any case, how to choose a Camara likely to register me on arrival!
Old Jul 6th 2020, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by suiko
Eric (and other experienced residents), your advice and knowledge are invaluable. Many thanks!

My main doubt now is whether the Camara will accept a short-term Air B&B rental without a formal rental agreement. I think I can arrange a longer-term rental with people I've been in contact with, but no one wants to do a rental agreement. I could go to the Camara with some evidence of the Air B&B, but in my September visit I'm unlikely to have time to get a more formal agreement if they turn that down.

Main question is, in any case, how to choose a Camara likely to register me on arrival!
This is the problem. Time is not on our side when we can't get there now.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

According to this article, some EU states are giving UK nationals a grace period until 30 June 2021 to secure residency.

https://dispatcheseurope.com/no-deal...grace-periods/

Moses, I'm afraid it very definitely is important for UK nationals take EU residency before the trap door slams shut otherwise their rights are not protected under the withdrawal agreement. To miss the deadline is taking one hell of a risk and it's not one I would take - after that crucial cut off date, there is no going back.

Old Jul 6th 2020, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

Oh boy, what a loads of confused and mix post.
1. UK has LEFT EU in jan this year. UK is not a member of EU!!!
2. UK is in WA with EU until end of this year.
3. UK national residing in EU state until 31/12/20, has until 30/06/21 to register. This apply to all EU states and not for "some".
4. There is no need to wait for 90 days to register.
5. Some Camara ask for proof of address, some dont. Pot luck.
6. Only use sef.pt and europa.eu are reliable source of information.

Old Jul 6th 2020, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lou71
According to this article, some EU states are giving UK nationals a grace period until 30 June 2021 to secure residency.

https://dispatcheseurope.com/no-deal...grace-periods/

Moses, I'm afraid it very definitely is important for UK nationals take EU residency before the trap door slams shut otherwise their rights are not protected under the withdrawal agreement. To miss the deadline is taking one hell of a risk and it's not one I would take - after that crucial cut off date, there is no going back.
BUT the article states that:

PORTUGAL

The Whole Story:

"If Britain crashes out without a Brexit deal after the 11-month transition period, only those already resident will have a legal right to stay."

And this to me signifies that in order to exercise the grace period, you need to be eligible for registration as at 31st December 2020. THE BIG question is, what does eligible mean in terms of proof of residence and means and as has been established this can vary from camara to camara.

At this point the UK is headed straight for a no-deal Brexit under the smoke-screen cover of covid-19.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.