Reload this Page >

A22 Toll Road 15th April

A22 Toll Road 15th April

Old Jul 19th 2011, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

DickieJarv is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A22 Toll Road 15th April

Originally Posted by John & Kath
They read your number plate as you pass the gantry. If you have the transponder that then has the charge deducted from your account and cancels the photo. The car must have travelled from at least the Monte Gordo jct. so you will be charged at least that distance. No transponder tnen the photo will be read and you will get a charge.
Firstly if you have a foreign registered car that would be very difficult and as far as I am aware drivers must be made aware they are entering a pay/toll area. As yet there are no signs warning drivers before the Monte Gordo junction that they are now entering a Toll road. I think the Toll section starts after the Tavira junction as the first warning signs come just before it.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: A22 Toll Road 15th April

Originally Posted by DickieJarv
Firstly if you have a foreign registered car that would be very difficult (No new EU legislation is designed to allow transfer of information on car registrations ownership and the ability to make cross border fines stick) and as far as I am aware drivers must be made aware they are entering a pay/toll area. As yet there are no signs warning drivers before the Monte Gordo junction that they are now entering a Toll road. I think the Toll section starts after the Tavira junction as the first warning signs come just before it. (Why stick the gantry before the off ramp you will be charged just for using the off ramp in that case no I think it will charge for the full length from Monte Gordo jct)
See above for my thoughts but they are still doing work they may well put signs at the bridge before tolling starts
Old Jul 19th 2011, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly if you have a foreign registered car that would be very difficult and as far as I am aware drivers must be made aware they are entering a pay/toll area. As yet there are no signs warning drivers before the Monte Gordo junction that they are now entering a Toll road. I think the Toll section starts after the Tavira junction as the first warning signs come just before it.
It's not a toll road yet, so there is no need to warn anyone! When/if it becomes one then it is likely that warning signs will be appropriately positioned.

See http://portagens.ctt.pt/fectt/wcmser...ns/aderir.html for some payment options for foreign registered cars on the toll roads in Northern Portugal. All appear to require pre-payment.

Each toll gantry will represent its own 'section' of toll road - it is of no consequence whether it's at the beginning or end of the stretch of road that it's on as you have to use the whole of that stretch of road to pass under the gantry. It's likely they are positioned for ease of access for maintenance and to electricity supplies, telecoms links etc.

IANAL but I would imagine that the charges (or fines) levied against vehicles using toll roads without making appropriate arrangements for making payment would not count as 'cross border fines' since the 'offence' is committed in Portugal. If the (clearly nonsensical) theories that abound on these forums that the cameras are unable to read foreign registration numbers are correct, one possible outcome will be mobile patrols stopping foreign registered cars, demanding immediate penalty payments, with failure to pay leading to seizure of the vehicle.

Hopefully they'll catch some of those with improperly taxed and insured cars in the process.

Last edited by RichardHenshall; Jul 19th 2011 at 7:24 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old Jul 19th 2011, 7:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
It's not a toll road yet, so there is no need to warn anyone! When/if it becomes one then it is likely that warning signs will be appropriately positioned.

See http://portagens.ctt.pt/fectt/wcmser...ns/aderir.html for some payment options for foreign registered cars on the toll roads in Northern Portugal. All appear to require pre-payment.

Each toll gantry will represent its own 'section' of toll road - it is of no consequence whether it's at the beginning or end of the stretch of road that it's on as you have to use the whole of that stretch of road to pass under the gantry. It's likely they are positioned for ease of access for maintenance and to electricity supplies, telecoms links etc.

IANAL but I would imagine that the charges (or fines) levied against vehicles using toll roads without making appropriate arrangements for making payment would not count as 'cross border fines' since the 'offence' is committed in Portugal. If the (clearly nonsensical) theories that abound on these forums that the cameras are unable to read foreign registration numbers are correct, one possible outcome will be mobile patrols stopping foreign registered cars, demanding immediate penalty payments, with failure to pay leading to seizure of the vehicle.

Hopefully they'll catch some of those with improperly taxed and insured cars in the process.
That is exactly my analysis just because the gantry is at the end of a length that does not mean the length is foc. These gantries are linked to sophisticated computor systems so not only would it be possible to pass illegalities to police cars on the ground down the road (which already happens on the CDS in Spain) but also to link in to DVLA in UK instantly so there would be instant transfer of information.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by John & Kath
That is exactly my analysis just because the gantry is at the end of a length that does not mean the length is foc. These gantries are linked to sophisticated computor systems so not only would it be possible to pass illegalities to police cars on the ground down the road (which already happens on the CDS in Spain) but also to link in to DVLA in UK instantly so there would be instant transfer of information.
I am simply saying that drivers must be made aware they are entering a toll section or they could easily appeal against any fine. You guys may know all about this but someone from say Latvia driving to the Algarve on holiday probably doesn't. Certainly they may add new warning signs soon but considering it was meant to be launched in April and all the other huge signs and camera stanchions (is that what they're called?) are already in place I'm not so sure. Anyway it'll be what it will be for all of us...
Old Jul 20th 2011, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I am simply saying that drivers must be made aware they are entering a toll section or they could easily appeal against any fine. You guys may know all about this but someone from say Latvia driving to the Algarve on holiday probably doesn't. Certainly they may add new warning signs soon but considering it was meant to be launched in April and all the other huge signs and camera stanchions (is that what they're called?) are already in place I'm not so sure. Anyway it'll be what it will be for all of us...
About three weeks ago a "BOBCAT" spent a couple of days digging foundations for something just as you come of the border bridge maybe they will erect a sign soon.

The preparation works is certainly not finished yet every few days you will see work being carried out somewhere on the eastern length of the A22.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 5:52 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

When we were there a few months ago, we saw billboards before each of the camera gantry's - they were covered at the time, but when there was a wind and the cloth wafted aside you could see that there was a charging structure.

I cant say for sure if ALL had them - but certainly most did. I suspect all did - but I cant remember for sure. I am convinced that if there isnt one already - its planned. So I'm afraid they have thought of that.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
When we were there a few months ago, we saw billboards before each of the camera gantry's - they were covered at the time, but when there was a wind and the cloth wafted aside you could see that there was a charging structure.

I cant say for sure if ALL had them - but certainly most did. I suspect all did - but I cant remember for sure. I am convinced that if there isnt one already - its planned. So I'm afraid they have thought of that.
They have put signs by/before the camera stanchions but as of today there isn't one before the Monte Gordo junction. The first signs you encounter coming from the border are just before the Tavira exit heading west. My point is that someone currently could drive past the Monte Gordo exit and according to what's been said here enter a Toll section of motorway without warning.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

honey1 is an unknown quantity at this point

why not get one of these handy devices (made in uk as well)

see here

http://www.speedflip.com/
Old Jul 20th 2011, 8:57 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

They have put signs by/before the camera stanchions but as of today there isn't one before the Monte Gordo junction. The first signs you encounter coming from the border are just before the Tavira exit heading west. My point is that someone currently could drive past the Monte Gordo exit and according to what's been said here enter a Toll section of motorway without warning.
I understand... but I'm afraid that its a done deal (IMHO)... Im sure that when the tolls go live, all the signs will be there. They would have to be. Especially for the traffic coming from Spain who would need clear indication of the stuff that the Portugese already know.

I agree with you that it would be wrong to arrive at the sign and have no way to turn back, and therefore be obliged to pay. Logically there will be one, allowing an exit ag M Gordo...

.... but then again,the words 'logic' 'government' maybe I am asking too much.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 1:11 pm
Account Closed

boobella is an unknown quantity at this point

go to http://www.theportugalnews.com/

and then click the link Tolls in the north come at huge cost to local economy
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

bejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nice

Originally Posted by boobella
go to http://www.theportugalnews.com/

and then click the link Tolls in the north come at huge cost to local economy
While it is certain that the tolls are a fait accompli for the A22 because of the austerity measures, it still seems unclear how the car rental companies will control their customers toll charges.

I have still to receive an explanation from the company we use. It is not a multi national and the service and hire costs are competitive, but it does seem that a degree of trust is going to be required that they only pass the toll charges on, incurred by each driver. Also if these charges are put on a credit card, they will attract bank costs. We always pay for our hires by cash these days.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of

In that link it states you will be charged €50 and any outstanding balance credited upon departure or did I read that wrong?
Old Jul 25th 2011, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

bejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Supremegermalene
In that link it states you will be charged €50 and any outstanding balance credited upon departure or did I read that wrong?
You read it correctly re foreign cars and it added the same will apply to rental cars. But these are PT registered so I assume they will buy a transponder.

My concern is how will the hire company allocate the toll fees to right customer when a vehicle might be driven by different people on the same day, including hire company staff?

I imagine they will not have the toll details immediately, so when departing a customer will be unable to verify the toll fees applied until back in the UK. This along with being charged by credit card and the associated bank costs is not good.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

There ARE signs - which are currently obscured - there is even a new sign just as you leave the tourist information layby after the Guardiana bridge (which gives you the option to leave at one of the next two exits if you wish to avoid the toll). I haven't noticed new signs on the approach to the m'way from Faro - but that's just because I haven't actually driven along that bit!.
I guess that the first bit of M'way (between the VRSA turnoff and the Monte Gordo turnoff is not tolled because this would encourage a large amount of traffic through these towns. Also, if I were a cynic, I might think that they gantry being just before the Tavira off-slip is there to generate a false sense of security that you have not entered a toll section until it's too late to turn off!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.