Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

A22 Toll Road 15th April

A22 Toll Road 15th April

Old Apr 4th 2011, 8:12 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A22 Toll Road 15th April

Late October the tolls were introduced in Northern Portugal. We have not had any guests who have arrived, with a Portuguese hire car since that time, (most have their own cars). I have always wanted to know what the Portuguese car hire companies are doing about these tolls.
This week we have guests who flew into Oporto picked up a hire car from Hertz.
They did not receive any information about the new tolls and no electronic devise installed either.
I am not surprised except this is considered one of the better companies around.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: A22 Toll Road 15th April

Originally Posted by chrismortley
Hi John
I contacted two of the smaller hire companies last week how they intended to charge , both said they were still waiting information.
I also asked one of the big hire companies & their reply was what charges the A22 is not a toll road
Maybe they know something we don't

Chris
Not yet, not until the 15th or maybe August or maybe never!

Booze Up and Breweries and Portuguese Governments come to mind!!!!
Old Apr 4th 2011, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

chrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Not yet, not until the 15th or maybe August or maybe never!

Booze Up and Breweries and Portuguese Governments come to mind!!!!
That is the phrase that comes to mind
If it wasn't for the aggro the whole situation may cause ,you would have to laugh
Old Apr 4th 2011, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

I have just been musing on the effect this will have on us and a glaring example of cost increase is :-

A trip to the cinema in Tavira cost €10 for 2 wrinklies + Diesel, coffee and pastel donata 90c each after the show. The toll charge will be €10 for the round trip so about a 33% increase. My pension has increased by about 3% this year. Is it less cinema trips or more time spent on the round trip or just run the cameras in my Spanish registered car.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

PubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud of

According to this article, it will now be possible to buy a pre-paid €20 ticket valid for 3 days. It is targeted specifically for the rentals:

http://economico.sapo.pt/noticias/cr...ut_115062.html

The comments under the article are also fun to read.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by PubChampion
According to this article, it will now be possible to buy a pre-paid €20 ticket valid for 3 days. It is targeted specifically for the rentals:

I suppose they think that's a good solution, problem solved then
Does that mean when I travel on the A22 on the 19th I have to pay 20 euros & when I return on the 28th I have to by another card because the first one has expired

Has Jeremy Beadle any thing to do with making these rules
Old Apr 4th 2011, 2:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I suppose they think that's a good solution, problem solved then
Does that mean when I travel on the A22 on the 19th I have to pay 20 euros & when I return on the 28th I have to by another card because the first one has expired
Has Jeremy Beadle any thing to do with making these rules
Yes thats the idea 100% profit in a week. Course since it is unlimited trips you could use it for three days for lots of trips or since it is not attached to a specific No you could sell it on and then buy your second at the last minute and pass that on at the airport for €19 to a new arrival.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

bejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nice

Originally Posted by PubChampion

The last few paragraphs are translated below. These cover rental cars.

The amendments published today the decree that regulates the payment in ex SCUT still establish new rules for companies to hire vehicles without drivers ('rent a car').

In these cases, "the amount of tolls owed ​​by customers is charged by those companies to their customers, " where "the value that is available for payment by the end of the rental vehicle must be charged to the customer at that moment. "

As can be read in its law, "with the consent of the client, the payment of the amount of tolls that may not be available until the end of the rental vehicle may be adjusted based on the average daily value of tolls.

I can't see rental companies having the toll information available when we return it at the airport, so they will want to charge it to my credit card, which I'm not happy about, as one, you have to trust they pick up only my charges, and two, the use of the card generates bank charges as well.

As we only use the A22 from J13 to J9 when arriving and leaving, I wouldn't expect to have a significant toll charge, if as I understand things you are charged according to the number of Gantries with a camera you pass.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=bejaboz;9284516]The last few paragraphs are translated below. These cover rental cars.

The amendments published today the decree that regulates the payment in ex SCUT still establish new rules for companies to hire vehicles without drivers ('rent a car').

In these cases, "the amount of tolls owed ​​by customers is charged by those companies to their customers, " where "the value that is available for payment by the end of the rental vehicle must be charged to the customer at that moment. "

As can be read in its law, "with the consent of the client, the payment of the amount of tolls that may not be available until the end of the rental vehicle may be adjusted based on the average daily value of tolls.

I can't see rental companies having the toll information available when we return it at the airport, so they will want to charge it to my credit card, which I'm not happy about, as one, you have to trust they pick up only my charges, and two, the use of the card generates bank charges as well.

As we only use the A22 from J13 to J9 when arriving and leaving, I wouldn't expect to have a significant toll charge, if as I understand things you are charged according to the number of Gantries with a camera you pass.[/QUOTE
]I think your reply sums up the concerns & reservations most of us have
That very official declaration sounds all right in theory, but as you say there's no chance the hire companies have the charges ready when the cars are being returned especially late @ night.
I can see all sorts of outrageous amounts being deducted from bank accounts weeks after the event , & what's the chances of getting a refund .
Very slim " If the Computer says no"
Old Apr 4th 2011, 4:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bejaboz
The last few paragraphs are translated below. These cover rental cars.

As we only use the A22 from J13 to J9 when arriving and leaving, I wouldn't expect to have a significant toll charge, if as I understand things you are charged according to the number of Gantries with a camera you pass.
The charge is per km travelled.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 5:39 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi John
I contacted two of the smaller hire companies last week how they intended to charge , both said they were still waiting information.
I also asked one of the big hire companies & their reply was what charges the A22 is not a toll road
Maybe they know something we don't

Chris

Hi Chris

The plot thickens! Thanks for checking this out for us....

Looks like no-one really knows how to handle this problem. The rental companies should be the first on this one! This thread has already pointed out some significant problems.... but it seems as though the rental co's havent sat down and thought about it....

Lets see what happens...

But not looking good!

Thanks
Jon
Old Apr 4th 2011, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trouble is John if the KM'S I am charged for is not the same as the amount I believe I have actually driven.
how after the event do you argue your case ?
When the hire company have your card details & have all ready debited your account ?
That's what worries me

Last edited by chrismortley; Apr 4th 2011 at 7:34 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Trouble is John if the KM'S I am charged for is not the same as the amount I have actually driven.
how after the event do argue you your case ?
When the hire company have your card details & have all ready debited your account ?
That's what worries me
Take the Esuri to Faro trip the first gantry is going to be at the on slip from Castro Marim where there is a km marker post the last one is likely to be at the off slip off the A22 to the Loule/Faro road the km post nearest will be used. So the first person to do the trip and report back will set the benchmark for what the price for all of us will be. It will only change if the price per km is increased. So it behoves us all to report back asap on distance, charges and systems to help those who do not live here or stay long periods and therefore have no opportunity to work it out before arrival.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

Sorry but you are completely wrong about that. On the A22 the price is per gantry. Different rates per vehicle class (small cars class 1, Vans and 4x4 class 2 etc ). You can work it back to an approximate per KM price but that is not how the charge is levied.

Quite a few junctions do not have a gantry between them at all (J13 to J14 for example) so for local people doing just that journey it will still be free.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 6:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MrBife
Sorry but you are completely wrong about that. On the A22 the price is per gantry. Different rates per vehicle class (small cars class 1, Vans and 4x4 class 2 etc ). You can work it back to an approximate per KM price but that is not how the charge is levied.

Quite a few junctions do not have a gantry between them at all (J13 to J14 for example) so for local people doing just that journey it will still be free.
I find this hard to understand. I have stated before my intention to get a permenant device not linked to a number plate. I have a small car and MPV when I collect rellies I will travel from CM to F in the MPV and when I go shopping at center AlgarveI will take the car. How will the Gantry know which vehicle I am in?

With regard to free sections that is quite possible if for instance that section forms a by pass to a particular bottleneck a decisiona to make that free is sensible in traffic management terms. The price will be up to 13 and away from 14 at so much per km, you will be charged for the tolled miles you travel its your bonus that there is a free bit in the middle.

This happens elsewhere in France on our route E402 down the west side avoiding Paris the charges start and stop you know cos you stop and pay. The system here will do the same but silently. The charge is per km travelled on the tolled lengths.

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Apr 5th 2011 at 6:55 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.