Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

90 days in 180 ? How to Calculate ? When does it start again ??

90 days in 180 ? How to Calculate ? When does it start again ??

Old Oct 10th 2021, 8:51 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute
Default 90 days in 180 ? How to Calculate ? When does it start again ??

Ok, so tomorrow 11 Oct. I will have spent exactly two x calendar months in Portugal. Then returning to UK.

Probably returning in January...................

But how does the 90 days in 180 work out exactly ?

EG, if I enter Portugal on 11 February, 180 days ( ish ) will have transpired since I first entered Portugal on 11 August....................
So does that mean I have 'lost' the entitlement to the thirty days theoretically left over from my first stay, commencing 11 August ?

Or can these thirty days be aggregated to the new 90 day entitlement ?

Or how does it all work ?

Can anyone explain it without reference to the EU calculator thing ?

Old Oct 10th 2021, 8:58 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 90 days in 180 ? How to Calculate ? When does it start again ??

Originally Posted by riv
Ok, so tomorrow 11 Oct. I will have spent exactly two x calendar months in Portugal. Then returning to UK.

Probably returning in January...................

But how does the 90 days in 180 work out exactly ?

EG, if I enter Portugal on 11 February, 180 days ( ish ) will have transpired since I first entered Portugal on 11 August....................
So does that mean I have 'lost' the entitlement to the thirty days theoretically left over from my first stay, commencing 11 August ?

Or can these thirty days be aggregated to the new 90 day entitlement ?

Or how does it all work ?

Can anyone explain it without reference to the EU calculator thing ?
Isn't it a rolling 180 days? It is what it says it is - you can stay 90 days out of 180.

From today, if you arrived on 11/8 you've been in the country 60 days. If you weren't in Portugal at any time between 13/4 and 11/8, then you've had 60 days in 180.

If you are still in Portugal tomorrow, you'll be at 61 days in 180 but the start would now be 14/4.

180 days before 11 Feb would be 15/8 and you were in Portugal. If you were out of the country between 11/10 and 11/2 then each day won't increase any time since for each new day, an old one is being taken off. Once you hit 90 days though, you would need to leave for 90.

Does that help?

Last edited by old.sparkles; Oct 10th 2021 at 9:14 am.
Old Oct 10th 2021, 9:29 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Those calculator things are quite easy to use really.

However, you simply cannot accumulate any so called leftover days. You could use them now for example, but you can't add them onto next year's trip thinking you now have 120 days to play with.

The 180 days go backwards. If you plan to return to Portugal on January 11th ...... get a paper calendar and cross off backwards 180 days ......... how many of those days were you in Portugal? Those are your upto 90 days in the 180. It's all about the days and not calendar years so changing from 2021 to 2022 won't make any difference. That's how I understand it anyway.
Old Oct 10th 2021, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute

"get a paper calendar and cross off backwards 180 days" or you could do the same on a spreadsheet (Google Sheets/Excel) to do the calcs for you if you are comfortable with electronic means

It's really just simple arithmetic, no complicated gotchas, unlike the UK SRT, which is more like advanced calculus
Old Oct 10th 2021, 10:29 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Isn't it a rolling 180 days? It is what it says it is - you can stay 90 days out of 180.

From today, if you arrived on 11/8 you've been in the country 60 days. If you weren't in Portugal at any time between 13/4 and 11/8, then you've had 60 days in 180.

If you are still in Portugal tomorrow, you'll be at 61 days in 180 but the start would now be 14/4.

180 days before 11 Feb would be 15/8 and you were in Portugal. If you were out of the country between 11/10 and 11/2 then each day won't increase any time since for each new day, an old one is being taken off. Once you hit 90 days though, you would need to leave for 90.

Does that help?
I am sorry it does not : you lost me when you started talking about the thirteenth of April...............What does that date have to do with the fact that I arrived on the 11th August ?
Old Oct 10th 2021, 10:33 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
I am sorry it does not : you lost me when you started talking about the thirteenth of April...............What does that date have to do with the fact that I arrived on the 11th August ?
The 13th April is 180 days before today so the start date to calculate the 90 out of 180 today.

Tomorrow, that start date will be the 14th April.

etc, etc - its a rolling calculation.
Old Oct 10th 2021, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/per...tish-citizens/

Technology to the rescue for once
Old Oct 10th 2021, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

ARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
The 13th April is 180 days back from today.
Old Oct 10th 2021, 10:59 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
The 13th April is 180 days before today so the start date to calculate the 90 out of 180 today.

Tomorrow, that start date will be the 14th April.

etc, etc - its a rolling calculation.
So are you saying that once another thirty days has gone by............eg the 11th November, at that point I commence having another entitlement to 90 NEW days ? [ because I spent only 90 days during the preceeding 180 days ? ]

So.............if that is correct [?] I can commence another 90 days' worth from 11th November ?

But what if instead of returning on the 11th November, I instead return on the 11th February..............does the 180 days commence on the 11th Febriary ? or did it already commence on the 11th Novembner ?
Old Oct 10th 2021, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
So are you saying that once another thirty days has gone by............eg the 11th November, at that point I commence having another entitlement to 90 NEW days ? [ because I spent only 90 days during the preceeding 180 days ? ]

So.............if that is correct [?] I can commence another 90 days' worth from 11th November ?

But what if instead of returning on the 11th November, I instead return on the 11th February..............does the 180 days commence on the 11th Febriary ? or did it already commence on the 11th Novembner ?
No.
Others have already explained it above - rolling 180 days, counted backwards. If you don't understand what they've written I suggest you persevere with one of the many online calculators where it's as simple as entering the relevant dates and the calculation is done automatically.
Old Oct 10th 2021, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv

Try using this calculator, its much more simple than any others on the web........https://adambard.github.io/schengencalc/
Old Oct 10th 2021, 5:13 pm
riv
BE Enthusiast

The online calculator linked above just states that , having stayed in the area for 62 days, I have 28 days left and must leave on
8 November 2021.
So far so easy to understand : 62 days from 90 leaves 28.

It does not state what calculation is made if instead of leaving on 8 Nov, I leave on 11 October, and then return on 11 February.

It does not state when the 180 days starts to be calculated again.

What you seem to be saying is that IF I did stay the full 90 days till 8 November I would then have to leave for 90 days - so roughly till 11 February.

SO then I would have been present in a Schengen country for 90 days and also absent from such for 90 days............So 90 in 180.............

So then [ 11 Feb ] the 180 calculation starts again ? and I could spend up to 90 days from 11 Feb. ?

But if I spent only 62 days during the 180 day period prior to 11 Feb I get no 'credit' for that ?
Old Oct 10th 2021, 5:30 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
The online calculator linked above just states that , having stayed in the area for 62 days, I have 28 days left and must leave on
8 November 2021.

It does not state what calculation is made if instead of leaving on 8 Nov, I leave on 11 October, and then return on 11 February.
It does get confusing Riv, but this is how to do it.

If you want to return on 11 February 2022 - then get a calendar and count 180 days backwards from 11 February 2022. In that 180 days, how many days did you spend in Portugal?

If you spent 80 days in Portugal in that 180 days, you can go back for 10 days before you reach your 90, so you go back to the UK on 21 February.

When you get back to the UK on 21 February, you decide you want to go back to Portugal on 18 April. Out with the calendar again, and count back 180 days from 18 April. In that 180 days, how many days did you spend in Portugal?

The calculation is based on how many days you spent in Portugal in the 180 days before the date you want to go there again.

Does that help?

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Oct 10th 2021 at 5:33 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2021, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

ARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond reputeARCNET has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
8 November 2021.

It does not state when the 180 days starts to be calculated again.

What you seem to be saying is that IF I did stay the full 90 days till 8 November I would then have to leave for 90 days - so roughly till 11 February.

SO then I would have been present in a Schengen country for 90 days and also absent from such for 90 days............So 90 in 180.............

So then [ 11 Feb ] the 180 calculation starts again ? and I could spend up to 90 days from 11 Feb. ?

But if I spent only 62 days during the 180 day period prior to 11 Feb I get no 'credit' for that ?
It seems you are overthinking the 90 in 180 rule. The rule is a rolling maximum of 90 days in 180 and not an allowance of 90 days that permits you to carry forward any surplus.
Old Oct 10th 2021, 5:44 pm
riv
BE Enthusiast

Spous of Scouse : ...........taking your example:

"" If you spent 80 days in Portugal in that 180 days, you can go back for 10 days before you reach your 90, so you go back to the UK on 21 February.""

I don't follow the bit about 'so you go back to ther UK on 21 February'.

Yes, if I spent 80 days in Portugal and then another 10, that totals 90 IN 180 DAYs ? Does it not ? Thus I have, during the preceeding 180 days, already spent 90 of them outside Schengen / Portugal.............

So don't I then get to start another period of 180 days, during which i can spend up to 90 within Schengen ?

Why is there an obligation to leave when I have had a total of 90 days in 180 ? I have at that point had 90 days - NOT more than 90 days - in the 180.

Why ( if it is the case ) does the 180 days not start to be calculated again ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.