Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

8th June 2017 UK General Election

8th June 2017 UK General Election

Old Apr 20th 2017, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 8th June 2017 UK General Election

Originally Posted by GeniB
How could May 'muff' something that didn't exist? They all ran away leaving her holding the 'poisoned chalice' and no plan. I'm not a fan,but admire her courage in holding on.
(IMO) she muffed it by not triggering A50 sooner and she should have done it soon after she became PM but yes, she was handed the poison chalice & I also admire her courage for picking it up.......... but she knew she'd have to if she wanted the job.

I also note your (earlier) comment about the 15 years & have addressed that point previously....... That same media (that I said I don't trust) often quote the 15 year thing but it's 'not entirely accurate'.

I checked on 4 separate occasions with my electoral officer & was told the rule is actually 15 years after you last voted or registered to vote.

I've been out of the UK for almost 20 years & out more often than I was in for close to 20 years more but have always registered to vote & voted & I got a vote in the Brexit referendum & within an hour of May announcing the GE, I had an email with my voter registration for for the coming GE.

However, if some ex pats have not taken the trouble to register and vote in the last 15 years or even to query the issue then as I see it, they have no right to complain about losing their vote.

So, if you have exercised your democratic right to vote any time in the last 15 years, perhaps you should contact your electoral officer to ask how you register to vote for this GE.

If you haven't exercised your right to vote in the last 15 years then perhaps you should accept responsibility for your own actions (or more precisely, inactions) & maybe kick yourself.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
I can only repeat that I wouldn't trust a single politician of any party & that I believe they all lie.

Getting back to May I think she muffed the Brexit issue from day 1 but that said, I'd still rather see her in charge than Corbyn.
I know what you mean and it's a good point,

However muffing brexit could be a lot more grave than say botched expenses...

I don't trust either of them. I'd really like to trust and believe in labour, but they seem to be a spineless shadow or tories right now, putting those who are not brexit Tory or ukip in a bind,
Old Apr 20th 2017, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
How could May 'muff' something that didn't exist? They all ran away leaving her holding the 'poisoned chalice' and no plan. I'm not a fan,but admire her courage in holding on.
Well frankly her general reluctance to debate and the attempt to use non parliamentary executive powers was a shambles. Could have played that much better. At least she wants to debate in the GE now, ah wait a minute...

Brexit is a poisoned chalice, best thing there is poor it down the drain 😉
Old Apr 20th 2017, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouisB
I know what you mean and it's a good point,

However muffing brexit could be a lot more grave than say botched expenses...

I don't trust either of them. I'd really like to trust and believe in labour, but they seem to be a spineless shadow or tories right now, putting those who are not brexit Tory or ukip in a bind,
I've never been a fan of the Labour party but they shot themselves in one foot when they elected the wrong Milliband & in the other when they elected Corbyn.

Had they elected David Milliband instead of his idiot brother, they'd be a VERY different party today.

But what's done is done & can't be undone.

Last edited by mfesharne; Apr 20th 2017 at 8:07 am.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 7:22 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I also note your (earlier) comment about the 15 years & have addressed that point previously....... That same media (that I said I don't trust) often quote the 15 year thing but it's 'not entirely accurate'.

I checked on 4 separate occasions with my electoral officer & was told the rule is actually 15 years after you last voted or registered to vote.

I've been out of the UK for almost 20 years & out more often than I was in for close to 20 years more but have always registered to vote & voted & I got a vote in the Brexit referendum & within an hour of May announcing the GE, I had an email with my voter registration for for the coming GE.

However, if some ex pats have not taken the trouble to register and vote in the last 15 years or even to query the issue then as I see it, they have no right to complain about losing their vote.

So, if you have exercised your democratic right to vote any time in the last 15 years, perhaps you should contact your electoral officer to ask how you register to vote for this GE.

If you haven't exercised your right to vote in the last 15 years then perhaps you should accept responsibility for your own actions (or more precisely, inactions) & maybe kick yourself.
It doesn't carry on forever simply by virtue of you continuing to register for an overseas vote.

You can have an overseas vote for up to 15 years since you last appeared on the electoral register - so this can extend for a little longer than 15 years since you actually left the country. At some point though, the register will be updated with the names of the people who actually currently reside at whatever address you were previously registered to vote.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

I'd have to check that with my electoral officer but as I'll be 75 by then it might be a moot point for me. lol

And of course, there's a good chance the law might be changed within the next 15 years or at some time in the more distant future.

Either way, it doesn't alter the fact that the media often misquote the 15 year issue or that I can still vote after being out of the country for almost 20 years & will be able to vote in the forthcoming GE as well.

Those that haven't voted or registered to vote only have themselves to blame if they gave up their voting rights.

Last edited by mfesharne; Apr 20th 2017 at 7:37 am.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 8:19 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I think you still don't understand. You appear to be blaming expats for not having registered to vote during 15 years as being the reason they become ineligible to vote. That is not the case.

You cease to be eligible to vote 15 years after you were last registered to vote in the UK. After you cease to be resident, you are removed from the register when it is next updated, even though you continue to be eligible for an overseas vote for 15 years from the date up to that revision.

Unless you are making false declarations about residence when the electoral register is updated?
Old Apr 20th 2017, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Red Eric
I think you still don't understand. You appear to be blaming expats for not having registered to vote during 15 years as being the reason they become ineligible to vote. That is not the case.

You cease to be eligible to vote 15 years after you were last registered to vote in the UK. After you cease to be resident, you are removed from the register when it is next updated, even though you continue to be eligible for an overseas vote for 15 years from the date up to that revision.

Unless you are making false declarations about residence when the electoral register is updated?
I don't misunderstand & I'm most certainly not making false declarations.

My point is the media often misquote the rule & many expats obviously fail to check the correct rules and/or simply haven't voted or registered to vote in the past...... and in any of those cases they have no right to complain about not 'getting their vote'

I took the precaution of checking the rules not only with my electoral officer but also other sources such as political parties and although some didn't even answer, none told me I couldn't vote, every reply I had confirmed I did have the right & the EO confirmed on 4 separate occasions that I could & also incidentally told me exactly how to register.

And I will also exercise my right to vote for as long as I can legally do so.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 8:43 am
Polished expat

I don't misunderstand...
Then why were you still quoting the next 15 years as though it's significant in relation to you re-registering for an overseas vote now?
Old Apr 20th 2017, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Sorry....... I don't understand your last comment. Perhaps you could give me the direct quote & post number please?

My point is that I took the trouble to check the rules with my electoral officer & therefore (rather to my surprise) was allowed to vote in both the Brexit referendum & this coming GE & that some that are complaining about not getting the vote might actually have found they were entitled to vote had they taken the trouble to consult their own electoral officer rather than just believe the oh too popular media quote.

In which case, they only have themselves to blame.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 3:45 pm
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

But, excuse the cynical thought, will the Rules even stay after Brexit anyway?
Consider.....
If you run, whatever remains of the UK after Brexit, would you permit those not actually living in your nice, new Peoples Fiefdom any voting rights???
... could infect the population with 'ideas' above their station & frighten the horses, don't-you-know....
Old Apr 20th 2017, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric

I'm not sure that can be true since these days the electoral roll is continuously updated so there would be no (or very little) delay
Old Apr 20th 2017, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Don't be fooled again by what the Tories and hardliners tell you.

Art 50 is totally revocable.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...rs-veto-brexit

It's okay to change your opinion too.

So time to have a good hard think. What will brexit really bring, given most of the ideas promises and claims have turned out false... 🤔
Old Apr 20th 2017, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

carvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to interrupt another mfesharne personal arguement - sorry opinion stating lesson for all -
but this is what i think

The honorable thing would have been to have announced the details of the Brexit plan - the one the Brexit voters are still too considered too stupid and untrustworthy to be told - pre article 50
Then call an election and see what the electorate thought of it

Instead we have the dishonorable may and the Tories dipping their fingers into the till because the opinion polls - are they now called referendum polls - told them they will win at this moment

Even though - and i think todays papers listed 14 recent occasions when may said she wouldn-t do it - ELECTION time

Has there ever been a more dishonest and untrustworthy government - i dont believe so

Last edited by carvoeiro; Apr 20th 2017 at 10:27 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

But every Government is untrustworthy so why should this one be any different???? All parties are as bad as each other.

If you remember May was landed with this job after Boris and Co pulled out of the vote for a new PM.

Peter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.