Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

8th June 2017 UK General Election

8th June 2017 UK General Election

Old Apr 18th 2017, 9:58 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 8th June 2017 UK General Election

Originally Posted by mfesharne
If I had my way, he'd hang for treason, waging illegal war, genocide & several other crimes as well...... and he wouldn't be alone either because several others were equally guilty.
Originally Posted by nogard
Hung for treason; i will second that!
Good to see we have a balanced view here

Fortunately, to get anyone hung you'll have to do a lot more than stitch up an ex-PM.

Bye the bye - how is it that John Major is OK, yet he signed up to Maastricht without a referendum - whereas Brown isn't, although he actually put the idea of the UK joining the Euro beyond doubt with his five economic tests.

Oh, and Maggie is Ok, although she caused the Falklands war by cutting the island defence and giving the Argentines mixed messages (Oh, and murdered over 300 Argentines on the Belgrano outside the exclusion zone), whereas Blair is a war criminal for taking the UK to a war against a dictator who had been defeated under John Major but who was still defying no fly zones and attacking "internal enemies".

Not selective memory, surely?
Old Apr 18th 2017, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

Knoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing worse than a good fact getting in the way of an otherwise perfect arguement.

Old Apr 19th 2017, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

algarveandroid is an unknown quantity at this point

Its had to be called CPS now say 30 Tory MPS may be on election fraud charges - but with the news today hardly got into the media.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
Good to see we have a balanced view here

Fortunately, to get anyone hung you'll have to do a lot more than stitch up an ex-PM.

Bye the bye - how is it that John Major is OK, yet he signed up to Maastricht without a referendum - whereas Brown isn't, although he actually put the idea of the UK joining the Euro beyond doubt with his five economic tests.

Oh, and Maggie is Ok, although she caused the Falklands war by cutting the island defence and giving the Argentines mixed messages (Oh, and murdered over 300 Argentines on the Belgrano outside the exclusion zone), whereas Blair is a war criminal for taking the UK to a war against a dictator who had been defeated under John Major but who was still defying no fly zones and attacking "internal enemies".

Not selective memory, surely?
Are you really suggesting Bliar didn't take the country into an illegal war or lie to Parliament to do so or that the resulting debacle finished well? - Really?

Brown was also involved & also responsible for bankrupting the country, selling the gold reserves at knock down prices & with prior announcement & destroyed the pensions of an entire generation with his slow ticking pensions time bomb so he was hardly an honest, successful politician was he?

Major & Maggy......... going back a long way there so perhaps not relevant to today's situation....... Maastricht wasn't to my taste & could easily be argued was a massive mistake but it bore no resemblance to what the current situation has morphed into & as for Maggy....... who was indeed very divisive but it cannot be denied she took on a very difficult situation that simply had to be addressed...... & she did it.

But yes, I firmly believe Bliar and several others including Straw & Campbell deserve to face trial for their actions & I have no doubt they would do so in many countries.

And I'm equally sure a very significant percentage of the British electorate would agree with me.

Last edited by mfesharne; Apr 19th 2017 at 6:18 am.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 6:21 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Good point but that was then...... this is now & as far as I'm aware, there's no restriction on how often one can stand.

As it is, I doubt they'll take a single seat with the new leader but with Farage in charge I think their chances would have been much better.
No, there's no restriction on the number of times one can stand ( not sure why that crept in) but I presume even he now sees the futility of him trying to win a Westminster seat. If the voters in UKIP's most favourable consituency constituencies rejected him that often and the only times he actually won at elections it was so his constituents could see the back of him by sending him abroad, the only surprising thing is that he didn't get the message sooner.

I'm not sure that the party is faring as well as ever now because Banks sacked him and then pulled the funding but it certainly doesn't seem to have done them any noticeable harm.

Anyway, the kippers are obviously delighted because they've now got a choice of 2 parties to vote for and one of them will definitely win lots of seats.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of people claim to be against Blair over Iraq now.

My question is, where the hell were you all at the time?

As for being lied to, I guess no one sees the brexit lies as a history repeats again?

Again, where are you?

In 10 years you'll be calling for TM to be tried in court too?

Too late is too late. You have to respond to the facts today, not put head in the sand. Applied during Iraq and will continue to apply every bit as much now.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Eric,

My comment about restriction of number of times one can stand was sarcasm......... but that aside, I'll be very surprised if UKIP get any seats under the present leadership of the party. Although it's not impossible. As far as that party goes, I think NF made a big mistake leaving when he did.

Louis

I know where I was & I was arguing against interference in the region just as I am now.

Interesting that you think you can predict what I'll be doing in 10 years time when you don't know me & can't see into the future but hey, if you're so convinced then perhaps you should consider doing the lottery hey? - You'd obviously be sure to win.

And that also is sarcasm.

What will be interesting is to see what Labour do before & after the GE.

I'll also be interested to see what May does (assuming she wins a big majority) about the House of Vermin in Ermine in the longer term. - I wouldn't be surprised if she takes them on big time.

Last edited by mfesharne; Apr 19th 2017 at 7:12 am.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Eric,

My comment about restriction of number of times one can stand was sarcasm......... but that aside, I'll be very surprised if UKIP get any seats under the present leadership of the party. Although it's not impossible. As far as that party goes, I think NF made a big mistake leaving when he did.

Louis

I know where I was & I was arguing against interference just as I am now.

Interesting that you think you can predict what I'll be doing in 10 years time when you don't know me & can't see into the future but hey, if you're so convinced then perhaps you should consider doing the lottery hey? - You'd obviously be sure to win.

And that also is sarcasm.

What will be interesting is to see what Labour do before & after the GE.
Speaking about the general public not just you specifically. Ego?
Old Apr 19th 2017, 7:31 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Eric,

My comment about restriction of number of times one can stand was sarcasm.........
Oh, I see. You'll have to forgive me for not catching it but it was completely misplaced, given the exchange that led up to it

...but that aside, I'll be very surprised if UKIP get any seats under the present leadership of the party.
Well, that was my original point (and why the sarcasm was misplaced). Not only would that be no worse than they had previously fared but The Man Himself didn't win a seat once in all his attempts, despite standing in several different constituencies. I can't imagine why you think his and UKIP's fortunes would suddenly change. It's not like he's suddenly burst onto the scene or anything - he's a long-standing failure.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Nothing whatsoever to do with ego. You'll notice that all my comments are in the first person which should indicate that I'm expressing my personal opinion.

I've never claimed to speak for anyone else.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Nothing whatsoever to do with ego. You'll notice that all my comments are in the first person which should indicate that I'm expressing my personal opinion.

I've never claimed to speak for anyone else.
And yet my original post was never aimed at you, you specifically or you alone. Yet you reply to criticise me for knowing or not knowing you, you specifically. Like my post was for you and no one else 🤦‍♂️

Ok then...
Old Apr 19th 2017, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Eric

Although it could be argued he was cheated out of his last attempt - but nevertheless, just because he's failed in the past doesn't mean he might not win in the future. After all, it's not uncommon for candidates of all parties to fail a few times before winning a seat.

But now he's stood down as leader I can't see it happening this time........ Not impossible though
Old Apr 19th 2017, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Louis

In that case, you should perhaps have used the word 'they' rather than 'you'

Last edited by mfesharne; Apr 19th 2017 at 7:45 am.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 7:51 am
Polished expat

Eric

Although it could be argued he was cheated out of his last attempt - but nevertheless, just because he's failed in the past doesn't mean he might not win in the future. After all, it's not uncommon for candidates of all parties to fail a few times before winning a seat.

But now he's stood down as leader I can't see it happening this time........ Not impossible though
I'm really not sure how he could win a seat if he's not standing as a candidate - surely that would have to involve some form of cheating (although it is true that he's definitely proven himself not to be above that).
Old Apr 19th 2017, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Red Eric
I'm really not sure how he could win a seat if he's not standing as a candidate - surely that would have to involve some form of cheating (although it is true that he's definitely proven himself not to be above that).
How do you know he's not going to stand?

He might not have announced it yet but that doesn't mean he won't....... After all, just a few days ago May hadn't announced a GE & was telling us she wouldn't call one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.