Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

8th June 2017 UK General Election

8th June 2017 UK General Election

Old Apr 23rd 2017, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

carvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 8th June 2017 UK General Election

mf - you will win in the end - simply because you will bore everyone to death
another thread ruined
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carvoeiro
another thread ruined
It's not me that keeps taking it off topic........ I just respond to the direction the thread goes....... and hey, whether I win or lose on a public forum is unimportant because the fact is that the democratic process has decided on the issue being discussed.

As for the original topic of the GE, it looks like most of the media is predicting a Tory landslide & I suspect they're right but personally I'd prefer it not to be too big because (as I've said before) I don't trust any politician & a Govt without strongish opposition can be a dangerous thing.
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

carvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond repute

see - boring
another thread ruined
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 6:53 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
As for the original topic of the GE, it looks like most of the media is predicting a Tory landslide & I suspect they're right but personally I'd prefer it not to be too big because (as I've said before) I don't trust any politician & a Govt without strongish opposition can be a dangerous thing.
That wouldn't be the same media that predicted a resounding NO to Brexit, No to Trump and a huge influx of UKIP MPs, would it?

It seems unlikely that the Tories will come out of it worse off - those opposing them are too fractured, but hey - there are at least 48% of voters who might want to stick it to a government led by someone who apparently has had a damascene conversion to Brexit after (almost) campaigning to remain. May just about sums up all that's worst about politicians - as she was described on R4s News Quiz this weekend, "she's a very measured and balanced person, on the one side she's a ruthlessly cynical opportunist and on the other side she's got this insane vaulting ambition"....... couldn't put it better myself!
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
That wouldn't be the same media that predicted a resounding NO to Brexit, No to Trump and a huge influx of UKIP MPs, would it?

It seems unlikely that the Tories will come out of it worse off - those opposing them are too fractured, but hey - there are at least 48% of voters who might want to stick it to a government led by someone who apparently has had a damascene conversion to Brexit after (almost) campaigning to remain. May just about sums up all that's worst about politicians - as she was described on R4s News Quiz this weekend, "she's a very measured and balanced person, on the one side she's a ruthlessly cynical opportunist and on the other side she's got this insane vaulting ambition"....... couldn't put it better myself!
I certainly agree that polls have been wrong before....... As for why May had an about face...... hmmmmmm - You could be right but equally, one could argue that she was toeing the party line & obeying the PM but now that she is the PM she feels that she has to obey the will of the people whether she agrees personally or not.

We'll probably never know which it is or at least, not until we read the book she'll no doubt write when she retires.

As with all things in life, time will tell.

One thing I will bet is that this election won't have anything like the turnout figures the French one had!
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Naaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carvoeiro
another thread ruined
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sorry guys. I keep forgetting to send the gang of 4 my posts for approval before I post them but how about you appoint a fuhrer so I just send them to one of you?

Freedom of Speech Rights

Freedom of speech and expression are recognised under the European Convention of Human Rights as fundamental human rights. In Britain these rights can be found as early as 1215 in the Magna Carter. Everyone has the right to freedom of speech and expression, and has the right to voice their opinions and to freely receive and give out information. Prior to the Human Rights Act, the freedom of expression was permitted as long as the law did not prevent it. But the Human Rights Act now guarantees under the law the rights to freedom of speech and expression.

http://www.civilrightsmovement.co.uk/right-freedom-speech.html
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 7:23 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Who's "attracted to the idea of doing away with the EU" then?

Personally, I can see the point of it as a European organisation (although it has it's flaws) but I don't want to see it done away with.

I do however think the UK is better outside of it. Not for me particularly but rather for the next & subsequent generations.
That's quite reassuring actually - my apologies for getting it wrong in your case but generally, it appears that a lot of Brexit supporters, most especially the Kippers, are also fans of Trump, and being both seems almost inevitably to lead to them gleefully predicting the fall of the EU.

Nice to see living proof of someone bucking that apparent trend, especially as we're in Portugal, which in my opinion not only benefits greatly in many ways from being a member, despite some rather unpleasant downsides, but is also positioning itself nicely at the forefront of a push for change for the better in the EU.
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Naaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry guys. I keep forgetting to send the gang of 4 my posts for approval before I post them but how about you appoint a fuhrer so I just send them to one of you?

Freedom of Speech Rights

Freedom of speech and expression are recognised under the European Convention of Human Rights as fundamental human rights. In Britain these rights can be found as early as 1215 in the Magna Carter. Everyone has the right to freedom of speech and expression, and has the right to voice their opinions and to freely receive and give out information. Prior to the Human Rights Act, the freedom of expression was permitted as long as the law did not prevent it. But the Human Rights Act now guarantees under the law the rights to freedom of speech and expression.

The Right to Freedom of Speech
And the same freedom of speech guarantees the right of others to criticize your opinions as they see fit!
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Red Eric
That's quite reassuring actually - my apologies for getting it wrong in your case but generally, it appears that a lot of Brexit supporters, most especially the Kippers, are also fans of Trump, and being both seems almost inevitably to lead to them gleefully predicting the fall of the EU.

Nice to see living proof of someone bucking that apparent trend, especially as we're in Portugal, which in my opinion not only benefits greatly in many ways from being a member, despite some rather unpleasant downsides, but is also positioning itself nicely at the forefront of a push for change for the better in the EU.
There you go..... something we agree on....... but 'fraid I can't speak for anyone else & I firmly believe everyone had their own reasons to vote for whatever they did....... it doesn't make some right or some wrong but rather everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

As for Portugal doing well out of the EU..... I agree & if the UK Govt had followed the PT attitude of only applying EU standards when it suited, I reckon the vote would have gone the other way.

On a broader note, I believe the EU could be very good indeed for Europe but that it needs to change to be so.

As for Trump....... Whilst I think he was a better option than HC, I also think that if the US had held a competition to select the 2 most unlikely & unsuitable candidates in the entire country both would have been in the final.

Last edited by mfesharne; Apr 23rd 2017 at 7:35 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Naaling
And the same freedom of speech guarantees the right of others to criticize your opinions as they see fit!
True...... but politely. See forum rules for further details.
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 7:59 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

True...... but politely. See forum rules for further details.
I am pleased to see that you now feel much stronger about freedom of speech, universal suffrage etc than you did for all those years you spent in Africa in countries where the rights you demand were refused to the majority of the population.
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 8:36 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

As you have turned this thread into a laughing stock I am closing it.

Rosemary