2% Estate Agency

Old Mar 22nd 2022, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2% Estate Agency

Originally Posted by macliam
Portugal has always been more expensive than Spain (in general) for housing costs...... but on the other hand there have been less sob-stories. Over 30 years ago I stayed in Andalucia and looked at some nice 3-bedroom villas in the mountains behind Malaga. The next year I met SWMBO and we went to the Algarve for the first time - the same money would only get me a pretty ordinary 2-bed apartment in Lagos. I thought it was because it was the Algarve, but when we went to Lisbon, the prices were much the same (obviously if you chose to live in Cacem or one orf the arredores prices were cheaper, but....). Prices in the North were cheaper for sure.... but not for anything or anywhere I'd want to buy.
Those two data points do give a slightly skewed sample Algarve & Lisbon (plus Porto to some degree) are significantly more expensive than the rest of Portugal): https://www.idealista.pt/en/data/

...and I haven't checked, but I'd suspect that the notional 500K won't go that far in Madrid or Barcelona either, so "Spain is cheaper" is not a general rule (in fact salaries in Spain in my industry are generally around 20% higher than in Portugal)

Your personal choice will depend on a combination of your budget and what aspects you prioritise for your lifestyle
Old Mar 23rd 2022, 12:36 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan PT
Those two data points do give a slightly skewed sample Algarve & Lisbon (plus Porto to some degree) are significantly more expensive than the rest of Portugal): https://www.idealista.pt/en/data/

...and I haven't checked, but I'd suspect that the notional 500K won't go that far in Madrid or Barcelona either, so "Spain is cheaper" is not a general rule (in fact salaries in Spain in my industry are generally around 20% higher than in Portugal)

Your personal choice will depend on a combination of your budget and what aspects you prioritise for your lifestyle
Now, yes, then, not so much...... I was commenting on 30+ yers ago, not today Equally, I was comparing prices in Portugal with a new-build on the margin of a tourist area in Spain - and of a house-type "designed" for foreigners too.

Probably the one place I would say was significantly cheaper was TrĂ¡s os Montes, 25 years ago, but that was never a candidate region for us. Direct Portugal/Spain house price comparisons for working-class suburbs of non-tourist areas is also probably of less relevance to people here, no?

Back then, the difference in price between regions was noticeably smaller, for any houses that met our needs - if it had been, I would have noticed. I have travelled more within Portugal than anywhere else in the world and actively looked at houses north to south between 2006 to 2014, since SWMBO had family in the Beiras, Lisbon/Estremadura and the Alto Alentejo, whilst we loved the Baixo Alentejo and the Algarve was always "there" in the mix.
Old Mar 23rd 2022, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, it's always hard to compare. In reality a lot of retired people who move to Spain and Portugal are sun-seekers and looking for beach living, so much of the North and inland areas are automatically ruled out.
Only saying that those purely focused on Algarve will have far less choices/limited housing stock when it comes to finished villas with a pool.
Old Mar 23rd 2022, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

June W is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Moses2013
While Portugal might seem better for some when it comes to taxes, you can pay higher taxes and still save thousands by paying less on housing. .
Thats a very valid point, it was a calculation I had looked at also i.e. if similar house costs XXX$ more but additional tax liability over 10 years is less than that then the higher tax area is the better financial outcome. I had also considered that my tax liability after 10 years would be higher, per year, in Portugal than in Spain (based on current rates) but my realistic calculation was I would likely be dead or infirm or too old to care by then.

Old Mar 23rd 2022, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by June W
Thats a very valid point, it was a calculation I had looked at also i.e. if similar house costs XXX$ more but additional tax liability over 10 years is less than that then the higher tax area is the better financial outcome. I had also considered that my tax liability after 10 years would be higher, per year, in Portugal than in Spain (based on current rates) but my realistic calculation was I would likely be dead or infirm or too old to care by then.
Yes, I think at some point you won't care anymore. To be honest, I personally didn't care if it was Portugal or Spain and Alan PT made a good point " Your personal choice will depend on a combination of your budget and what aspects you prioritise for your lifestyle" I know some people are very nationalistic, but for me it's all streets and houses and people are people + I'll always be a foreigner anyway. I just found what I wanted in Spain (Catalonia) within my budget and I just adapt to my surroundings.
Old Mar 26th 2022, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

appman999 is an unknown quantity at this point

One thing we rapidly learned - almost nobody respond to emails!

Italy is just the same, nobody answers emails, but it's more surprising in Portugal which is, generally speaking, more up to date with things. I did find that a lot of them do use WhatsApp though and it's even possible (with a bit of effort and Google Translate) to have a conversation in Portuguese via WhatsApp chat
I have to say my experience over the last 4 months of house hunting (after a very quick sale) has been much more positive on the email responses front.

I have normally got a fairly quick response.

WhatsApp is also in widespread usage and I often use that once contact is made.

My biggest bugbear (apart from the high fees) is the refusal to identify locations of properties.

Although privacy concerns are stated, I think it's probably more to do with other agents pinching the business.

The detailed location of a property can make or break a deal and I don't want to waste my time and theirs going to a property I know will not be acceptable.
Old Mar 28th 2022, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

atlasthemonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by appman999

The detailed location of a property can make or break a deal and I don't want to waste my time and theirs going to a property I know will not be acceptable.
I feel your pain ! detailed location is one thing, lying about the location being 20 km away from its actual location is another. An additional quote on this thread says the Portuguese estate agents are more regulated...really?
Old Mar 31st 2022, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

J00ls is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by appman999
I have to say my experience over the last 4 months of house hunting (after a very quick sale) has been much more positive on the email responses front.

I have normally got a fairly quick response.

WhatsApp is also in widespread usage and I often use that once contact is made.

My biggest bugbear (apart from the high fees) is the refusal to identify locations of properties.

Although privacy concerns are stated, I think it's probably more to do with other agents pinching the business.

Completely agree. The entire neurosis about revealing location is very, very annoying and unhelpful to buyers. Its foolish because sometimes I end up not bothering to view rather than risk wasting my time on the wrong location. Especially after finding myself too near the motorway on two occasions!