British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   180 day travel insurance and residence Insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/180-day-travel-insurance-residence-insurance-944445/)

goins Jun 19th 2022 9:43 pm

180 day travel insurance and residence Insurance

The question is, Does travel insurance and residence insurance can be one after the other when my insurance (108 Days) expired, on the same insurance, Should I get new insurance once I reach Portugal and setup my Appointment with the SEF.
I am going on a D7 Visa (retirement )

Alan PT Jun 19th 2022 10:05 pm

Re: 180 day travel insurance and residence Insurance

Originally Posted by goins (Post 13123021)
The question is, Does travel insurance and residence insurance can be one after the other when my insurance (108 Days) expired, on the same insurance, Should I get new insurance once I reach Portugal and setup my Appointment with the SEF.
I am going on a D7 Visa (retirement )

Sorry, it's a little hard to understand your question, can you clarify?

What do you mean by "residence insurance"? Are you talking about health insurance?

What's your concern - whether you will be covered, or what proofs SEF will require?

goins Jun 19th 2022 10:34 pm

Health Insurance...can they both be on the same insurance. or should be to separate Insurances...

Alan PT Jun 19th 2022 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by goins (Post 13123033)
Health Insurance...can they both be on the same insurance. or should be to separate Insurances...

Check the conditions on your travel insurance - often it's only valid for trips of 30, 60 or 90 days. If it's valid for longer periods then it should be OK, otherwise you will need a separate insurance.

goins Jun 19th 2022 10:49 pm

Thank You Alan much Appreciated it..Friend

riv Jun 20th 2022 6:43 am

Insurance against the cost of medical treatment which becomes necessary whilst on travel away from one's home ( even if the trip is a prolonged one lasting six months or longer ) is a totally different kettle of fish from insurance against the cost of medical treatment which becomes necessary when one has become resident in one's new permanent residence.

I would be very very surprised if an insurer who has insured you against the former, would in the event pay up in respect of the latter.

On my extremely rare occasions of attempting to claim against travel insurance I discovered ( and I am far from alone in this ) that whilst happy to take your premium, such companies are somewhat more rigorous when it comes to paying out.

The only way you can be sure ( or better put ~have a degree of confidence in ~ ) your health insurance will cover you in circumstance X is to write to them in advance and ask the specific question.

Only if you have such an assurance in writing in advance should you have any confidence in such.

Meanwhile, I forget the detail, but it has been covered here previously : I believe there is some Government to Government agreement whereby the UK covers medical costs for pensioners residing in Portugal ? Others will point you to the detail and whom you have to contact for the paperwork.

Rambling archer Jun 20th 2022 8:23 am

Riv said ""Meanwhile, I forget the detail, but it has been covered here previously : I believe there is some Government to Government agreement whereby the UK covers medical costs for pensioners residing in Portugal ? Others will point you to the detail and whom you have to contact for the paperwork."

OP is coming from Canada I believe, so the S1 arrangement from UK may not be relevant in their case?
As I understand it, you may want travel insurance to travel to Europe, when you are in Portugal waiting for your residency to be finalised you need health insurance (Portuguese and applied for before you arrive?) to cover you at least in the interim (you may wish to continue it for your own peace of mind as the health service is in a bit of a crisis since Covid) but once your residency is confirmed, you should come into the category where all residents of Portugal (irrespective of nationality) are eligible to sign into the national health service (SNS) at a local Health Centre. If your country from where you get your pension has reciprocal arrangements with Portugal (eg UK) you would need to contact the Social Services (INSS) with confirmation from that country's pension service so PT can claim for your health care.