Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

1) Coimbra unpleasantly humid in summer? 2) Portugal generally accepting to Asians?

1) Coimbra unpleasantly humid in summer? 2) Portugal generally accepting to Asians?

Old May 4th 2014, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

Kamenets is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 1) Coimbra unpleasantly humid in summer? 2) Portugal generally accepting to Asian

Hi Mfesharne
Also doing a round-trip, UK, SA, Zim, Bots, Bulgaria, Greece and now heading for Portugal. Looking for weather similar to George WP, hard to find. Any suggestions?
Kamenets.
Old May 4th 2014, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1) Coimbra unpleasantly humid in summer? 2) Portugal generally accepting to Asian

Hmmmm George and surrounding areas are nice huh?

It'd be difficult for me to compare simply because I haven't seen all of Portugal but I will say the coastal areas will be more humid than the inland areas but the areas that remind me of areas such as KZN in South Africa and the Burigi area of Tanzania and adjoining area in Rwanda are the areas around Figueiro Dos Vinhos (where I'm based) and also Castelo Branco & Miranda do Corvo.

Humidity in those areas is fairly low for most of the year but winters are colder and obviously wetter. - Summers are an absolute delight though!
Old May 11th 2014, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

We intended to move to the Coimbra area; but we changed our minds after spending some time there, due to the weather.
VERY hot in summer [dry though], and freezing cold in winter.
We bought a place 3km from the Algarve west coast; a cool sea breeze all summer long makes this the most pleasant place [weather wise] I've ever been. And I've been many places. In winter we get the rain we need, yet with half the days sunny and warm.
Good infrastructure, but no economic activity except in summer. There's an international school in Aljezur.
Old May 11th 2014, 11:04 am
Just Joined

markek is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks a lot for input. Sounds perfect to me. Mrs is more iffy. Partly cos of financial concerns, partly she likes London. I don't - enough to want to stay here any longer. Hmph! Tryng for compromise in W Country. We'll see.
Old May 19th 2014, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Portugal, England, Thailand, soon to be New Zealand
blownaway is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunately, even out in the sticks away from bus routes etc., there is a crime rate everywhere in Portugal I reckon it's to do with the open borders with the rest of Europe as Romanians (usually the culprits) are free to drive around Europe in their make shift campavans.

Crime in an isolated area such as ours in the Caramulo includes lifting all the metal work from the public fonts or other areas where metal hasn't been put inside gates (such as from car ports) and the occasional lifting of fowl such as chickens which are kept in people's back yards.

We also get Romanians approaching our gates asking for money - one family of 4 stood at the gate with the lady holding out her hand for cash with 2 children in tow. To get here would cost as much petrol (they park their car away from the village and walk in) as they would receive in any hand outs - but it's reported to the police and not tollerated by the locals.

Coimbra is heaving with students - multicultural and the hardest thing I find about it is trying to get around in a car due to a lack of sign posts. One student there who lives locally said that there aren't any visitors to Coimbra and those who live there know their way around, so why does the city need any signs?

Mmmm....actually typical of all the places in Portugal really.

It's a great place Coimbra, although as you go nearer to cities, house and supermarket prices increase.

It's a great place to be on the outskirts of Coimbra - I personally wouldn't go into the city itself as I don't like constant traffic noise and polution that comes with it - the air is fresher the further you move into the countryside, although of course, with it comes a lack of employment and possible isolation.

There's a lot of Asian people in the area I'm in - around Anadia/Aveiro and they tend to stick with their own - so they isolate themselves from the community rather than the other way around.

As for the weather, if you get yourself up into the mountains, say the Caramulo as we are, then the temperature is more even. We don't get sharp frosts and it doesn't get baking hot. We get the Atlantic influence yet we aren't in the expensive Algarve area, so we have it just perfect, whereas somewhere like Coimbra, Tabua, Oliveira do Hospital, get sharp frosts and it gets unbearably hot in the summer. Up in the hills doesn't have that but you need to be on the Atlantic side to get the sea's influence.

A bit like being in somewhere like Moncharapachu in the Algarve but much, much more pleasant than I've experienced anywhere in the Algarve which I wouldn't choose due to the cost of living both for house purchase and supermarket prices which are far more than this area of the Caramulo.

The Algarve also has a higher police presence and can be difficult when trying to get into any sort of English way of life and keep out of the resorts in the Algarve unless you like rowdy crowds in places such as Albufeira during the summer.

Definitely, the cost of housing is a big issue in the Algarve although looking at prices, it looks like the cost is having to be forced down.

Coimbra area is far, far a better option than the Algarve in my opinon as it has a better climate as the Algarve is far further south and much, much hotter during the summer, which surprises me when the other member seems to imply the other way around - I live near Coimbra and have also been in the Algarve during the same summer periods - the Algarve is stinking hot in comparison.

However, I have been wrong and you can check for yourself the average temperatures but the main reason we avoided the Algarve was due to the unbearable heat of the summer months, although it's warmer in the winter months although if you move inland, as mentioned, it is hotter than hot, with places such as Fundao and Castelo Branco seeing the lowest house prices and the highest temperatures. Coimbra isn't that far from the coast though and I haven't ever experienced it being too hot to handle except on a handful of days per year.

The main difference being night temperatures : the Algarve doesn't see a fall in night temperatures compared to further north, therefore the heat of the day continues all night and makes it unbearable unless you like heat !

Mind you, except for last winter which was wet everywhere, it gets in general much wetter as you go north so also check out the average rainful through your search bar for both areas.

http://www.coimbra.climatemps.com/

http://www.holiday-weather.com/algarve/averages/

Hope it goes well whatever you decide.

Last edited by blownaway; May 19th 2014 at 4:01 pm.
Old May 19th 2014, 4:12 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

The description of a high crime area certainly does not apply to the Algarve or the Portugal we know.
We have never come across a Romanian beggar.
The comment regarding the police interfering with an English way of life is an odd one unless what is meant that the risks of getting caught doing something illegal are higher.
Property prices may well be higher but that is because of the all year round benefits of living in the Algarve.
Last week was over 30degrees but the humidity was low and the constant breeze meant that it still felt very nice indeed.
Plus who would want to swop periods of 20 degrees sunny days in January for cool damp mountain weather.
Each to their own.
Old May 19th 2014, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Each to their own indeed EMR, it would be a boring life if we all liked the same things! Me, I love where I live in the north, I like to visit the centre and I love a week or more in the algarve in the summer! Portugal is very diverse from one area to the next, you can travel 100 Kms and by looking at change in scenery you would think you were in a different continent... From Bragança to Faro, It's Lovely!
Old May 19th 2014, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedscottish
Each to their own indeed EMR, it would be a boring life if we all liked the same things! Me, I love where I live in the north, I like to visit the centre and I love a week or more in the algarve in the summer! Portugal is very diverse from one area to the next, you can travel 100 Kms and by looking at change in scenery you would think you were in a different continent... From Bragança to Faro, It's Lovely!
I'm not a fan of the Algarve as it's a bit too busy for me but I agree it's wonderful how scenery in Portugal varies so much, so quickly.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

khasab is an unknown quantity at this point

I've lived in Coimbra for many years and yes it gets VERY hot in the summer. It is one of the hottest places in Portugal. Something to do with the micro climate. Also, like most of Portugal the humidity in the summer is quite high. (You are never that far from the coast I suppose that's why). You can drive out to a beach quite easily (about 40K) or up into the mountains. Both places will be cooler and have breezes-
The humidity today seems to be about 40%. Temperature about 30/32c. the other day it was about 61% humidity and awful. Like walking through a warm moist flannel curtain all the time.

As for the other question. No I shouldn't think you'd get any racism or even funny looks. There aren't many people here from non European countries but there are a few, and attitudes have changed over the years.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Markek...Well you have a diverse group of options here..with mainly people being very satisfied with where they live!...It should tell you that you really have to 'Try before you buy'.So would really advise you to rent something first..and look around for a few months..I live very happily in the Algarve in one of the oft quoted expensive ex-pat areas..I love it..deliberately chosen for its diverse ex-pat community..its nearness to shops and facilities.coast etc..As to heat and humidity...I do know what you mean about the difference....The Algarve gets hot...but disagree about 'stinking hot'..and temps not going down at night+ humidity...That is a very rare occurrence..only had it perhaps twice in the time i have been here...for one day.!! The climate imo..is perfect..Hot and sunny summers with 99% of the time a cool breeze which clears the heat away at the end of every day..Do not mistake Portugal for Spain!!!...There it does get unbearable with high humidity which does make the heat feel hotter..and causes you to sweat...thus attracting the myriad bugs that plague that country...Portugal is so fortunate in having very few pests...I would go for maybe the coast outside of Lisbon..as the shock of moving from a Metropolis like London to a small town or even a village might be a step too far..especially for your family..Cascais comes highly recommended as its on a rail link...no need to drive into Lisbon..and has International schools....but then it will come at a price..so it maybe all depends on your budget...and what sort of a job you either have or can get...good luck
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

I don't know where some of the people writing here are getting there information from. Spain, especially in the South around Cordoba area is very dry and has a low humidity Whilst most of Portugal has quite high humidity. If you check online most sites gives the Algarve an average in July and August of around 60% . Average Humidity in Portugal - Current Results
It's higher in Coimbra.
On a more general note, I presume you are what we call 'independently wealthy'. I hope so because there are no jobs here and if there were you'd find the salary laughable compared to salaries in England. Remember, it's easier to sell up and move than it is to move back when/if you get sick of the place. If all you want to do is get out of London then there are all kinds of beautiful places in England (and Scotland or Ireland) where you could live. Your children will have to learn Portuguese, as will you, if they want to have a normal life with friends etc unless you want to live in the cocoon of some appalling expat community whinging about how things are different here and how difficult it is to buy marmite
Old Aug 4th 2014, 7:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

If by 'some people' You mean me Khasab...please be direct enough to say that! I believe I am the only one on this thread to mention Spain!!..innuendo can be misconstrued as sarcasm..which I am sure you didn't mean!!

Where am I getting my info on Spain from?...32 yrs of visiting at varying times of the year..extensive comparisons before choosing Portugal as favourite for climate..,,and my extremely sensitive 'nose' for humidity..which I am sure I share with the poster..Granted I did not include more inland areas like Cordoba and Madrid...which bake in the summer .hardly room for humidity when its 42 +deg...I didn't think our poster was looking at areas like that..Just to make it clear...I was..of course referring to the coastal districts and the islands like Menorca,Mallorca et al...which I know from experience..and from friends and family who live there..is at present..unbearable...tho..not quite Singapore..but we won't go there!!!
Old Aug 4th 2014, 9:48 am
Just Joined

hangyandy is an unknown quantity at this point

Well it seems that this thread has wandered off track a bit. If the choice is between Coimbra or the SW UK then go to Coimbra. We live in West Cornwall and the humidity is rarely below 90% but as the temperature is rarely above 20°C it feels fine though it does rain - lots.

On the plus side our Winter temperatures are rarely below 3°C (we only had a couple of frosts last Winter) which means that even a gardening numpty like me can grow stuff.

Best of luck, wherever you go. Andy R
Old Aug 4th 2014, 9:56 am
Just Joined

I didn't mean to be sarcastic and I don't think my post was sarcastic. I meant you and other people. The temperature is not necessarily a condition of humidity. You can have high temperature andhigh humidity. And to be fair you simply said Spain. The fact is, although a few posts are saying the opposite, Portugal has quite high humidity. I have lived here for 30 years so I think I've got some idea about it. I too have my information from my own experience and from other family members, one of whom lived in Cordoba for some time. In the summer in Coimbra I have known it to get into the 40's and certainly the high 30's. It's very hot and humid which as you say, makes it feel even hotter. Anyone who can, gets out of the town to the coast. As for 'pests' , You may be lucky not to suffer from them where you live but most places in Portugal have mosquitos, and lots of them, in the summer ( the shops bring out mosquito netting for doors and windows). In general less by the coast, but not always. I don't know what other pests you might mean.

Last edited by khasab; Aug 4th 2014 at 10:24 am.