Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

‘Fast track’ entry plan sees e-gates opened to visiting Brits

‘Fast track’ entry plan sees e-gates opened to visiting Brits

Old Apr 27th 2022, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

offthepiste is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ‘Fast track’ entry plan sees e-gates opened to visiting Brits

Red Eric, thank you. I did google & search around europa but found nothing as juicy as your last post.

What we really need if for the Portuguese border force to either permit us to pass as Portuguese citizens / permanent residents or have a temporary residents gate. I am a true optimist!
Old Apr 27th 2022, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chislenko
Just out of interest and excuse my ignorance for those that take out residency would they always have to renew their passport at their original country and never be able to get a Portuguese (therefore EU) passport?
Residency never entitles you to a passport, you need citizenship for that. Portugal is fairly generous on this, you can apply after only 5 years residency. But you do need to meet a few criteria, including having at least basic level Portuguese (A2 I think) and it apparently takes at least a year to process (probably more now with the state of SEF...)

Portugal and the UK both allow dual citizenship, so you can then decide whether to retain both or renounce UK citizenship
Old Apr 27th 2022, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Just coming back to this point :

A bit of further rummaging tells me I was hopelessly wrong and we are apparently best advised to avoid using the new system :

Passport scans and €7 fee: What will change for EU travel in 2022

So that just leaves the question of whether there is any alternative planned to going to the back of the slowest lane in order to see a border guard.
I imagine it will improve in a year or two, probably someone just went "oops, forgot to add that edge case to the system requirements"
Old Apr 27th 2022, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by offthepiste
Hi Loafing Along,

If you are correct then simply residing in my home in Cascais for say 9 months will mean that I would be refused entry to say France should I then access France from the UK as I would be a Schengen overstayer with dire consequences in probably not being able to enter a Schengen country for whatever period they deem appropriate.

Or, if I access say France overland from Portugal, I would be kicked out if I satisfied the requirement to register withy the French "authorities" within 3 days on entry and they realise I have been in the Schengen area longer than the allotted 180 days.

Cheers
I think my comments have been well explained by others.
Old Apr 27th 2022, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan PT
Residency never entitles you to a passport, you need citizenship for that. Portugal is fairly generous on this, you can apply after only 5 years residency. But you do need to meet a few criteria, including having at least basic level Portuguese (A2 I think) and it apparently takes at least a year to process (probably more now with the state of SEF...)

Portugal and the UK both allow dual citizenship, so you can then decide whether to retain both or renounce UK citizenship

Thanks Alan.

Old Apr 29th 2022, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-portugal

"When you travel, carry your residence card or frontier worker permit issued under the Withdrawal Agreement, in addition to your valid passport.You must proactively show your residence document, or other evidence of residence status, if you are asked to show your passport at border control. If you were living in Portugal before 1 January 2021 but have not yet applied for a residence card, carry evidence that you are resident in Portugal. This could include a tenancy agreement or a utility bill in your name, dating from 2020.

If you cannot prove that you are resident in Portugal, you may be asked additional questions at the border to enter the EU. Your passport may be stamped on entry and exit. This will not affect your rights in the country or countries where you live or work. If your passport is stamped, the stamp is considered null and void when you can show evidence of lawful residence.

If you have rights under the Withdrawal Agreement, you can enter and exit Portugal with a valid passport. You do not need any additional validity on the passport beyond the dates on which you are travelling."
Old Apr 29th 2022, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NataHH
Because there is still a lot of uncertainties I would prefer to get my passport stamped to prevent ambiguities. Especially if you are a frequent flyer, or a resident who had to renew their UK passport it could become problematic (or as some people say a challenge)? At least with a stamp you got some sort of proof and you know whether you are coming or going.
I thought you said you were an EU national? EU nationals never have their passports stamped in EU states.

The Daily Mail tried to sell the third country e-gates in Portugal as a Brexit win. Hilarious!
Old Apr 29th 2022, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

NataHH is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lou71
I thought you said you were an EU national? EU nationals never have their passports stamped in EU states.
Sorry Lou you are just too eagle-eyed. You are right as an EU National I don't get my passport stamped. Perhaps, not to confuse you, I should have written: ..if I had a British passport "I" would prefer...
Old Apr 29th 2022, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

NataHH is an unknown quantity at this point

Talking about confusion this is the latest mess for travellers:
https://www.theportugalnews.com/news...sue-date/66662
When downloading your boarding card you have to register your passport details. Do you enter the expiry date as shown on your passport or do you enter the date 10 years from the date of issue??
Happy days😡
Old Apr 29th 2022, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NataHH
..if I had a British passport "I" would prefer...
​​​... to exchange it for an EU one!