Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

‘Fast track’ entry plan sees e-gates opened to visiting Brits

‘Fast track’ entry plan sees e-gates opened to visiting Brits

Old Apr 26th 2022, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

offthepiste is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ‘Fast track’ entry plan sees e-gates opened to visiting Brits

Just read that UK, along with US, Japanese, etc. will be able to use the e-gates at Lisbon, Faro etc. Fantastic news assuming it works.

It is widely reported https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/new...irport-queues/

Obviously, for those that are "temporary residents" it is not clear if there is still a risk of having ones passport stamped. I say a comment that the same has happened at Schipol and that someone stamps passports after the gate.

Risk is that there is an "electronic stamp" and the clock starts ticking Schenegn-wide but chances are there is not.

Be interested if anyone has experienced the new set up.
Cheers
Old Apr 26th 2022, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ‘Fast track’ entry plan sees e-gates opened to visiting Brits

Originally Posted by offthepiste
Just read that UK, along with US, Japanese, etc. will be able to use the e-gates at Lisbon, Faro etc. Fantastic news assuming it works.

It is widely reported https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/new...irport-queues/

Obviously, for those that are "temporary residents" it is not clear if there is still a risk of having ones passport stamped. I say a comment that the same has happened at Schipol and that someone stamps passports after the gate.

Risk is that there is an "electronic stamp" and the clock starts ticking Schenegn-wide but chances are there is not.

Be interested if anyone has experienced the new set up.
Cheers
Stamping a passport is just the old-fashioned way of going through an E-gate, both record your date of entry/exit you just don't see the database. So "Yes" the clock starts ticking
Old Apr 27th 2022, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Hi Loafing Along,

If you are correct then simply residing in my home in Cascais for say 9 months will mean that I would be refused entry to say France should I then access France from the UK as I would be a Schengen overstayer with dire consequences in probably not being able to enter a Schengen country for whatever period they deem appropriate.

Or, if I access say France overland from Portugal, I would be kicked out if I satisfied the requirement to register withy the French "authorities" within 3 days on entry and they realise I have been in the Schengen area longer than the allotted 180 days.

Cheers

Old Apr 27th 2022, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

I would agree with loafing. It will automatically set your clock running just like most things are done automatically these days.

Gone are the days of going to the post office with an MOT and insurance to tax your car.

Two minutes on the internet and they know everything about you already so I can't see this being any different.

Old Apr 27th 2022, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

So I guess it will be best to avoid the e-gates and queue with the rest of the third world, - we now know our true place - and flash our residency QR code! Just hope it takes less than the 2 hours I last experienced in Lisbon.
Old Apr 27th 2022, 10:25 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

As each of the Schengen member states will already have the details of 3rd country nationals officially residing in their territory, it wouldn't be outlandish to think that we might be identifiable as such through the common EES.

Failing that, there are actually border officers on the other side of the e-gates, to whom one could show the resident document if required.
Old Apr 27th 2022, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute

There's a recent EU note to clarify that stamps are, in effect, meaningless: https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/defa...tion_v2_en.pdf
Old Apr 27th 2022, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

Alan, thank you. This is quite interesting .. how did you find it?

I really like the apparent contradictory statements in "The usual limitation of a stay of 90 days in a 180 days’ period in the Schengen area does not apply to them, irrespective of whether their passport has been stamped or not. However, they have no right to stay in a Schengen Member State other than that of their residence for more than 90 days in a 180 days’ period."

So we have no limitation in the duration of a stay but no right to stay.

I know the "criminal at number 10" did not negotiate forward travel as part of brexit and I have seen this stated in earlier EU statements but this new one is interesting.

Old Apr 27th 2022, 12:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I really like the apparent contradictory statements in "The usual limitation of a stay of 90 days in a 180 days’ period in the Schengen area does not apply to them, irrespective of whether their passport has been stamped or not. However, they have no right to stay in a Schengen Member State other than that of their residence for more than 90 days in a 180 days’ period."

So we have no limitation in the duration of a stay but no right to stay.
I take that to mean that there is no automatic right to enter, so you have to present yourself to immigration officials and are subject to the same checks as everybody else before being admitted.
Old Apr 27th 2022, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

It will be fun finding an immigration official at motorway border crossing.
Old Apr 27th 2022, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute

Alan, thank you. This is quite interesting .. how did you find it?
Oh, nothing very obvious, it doesn't jump out at you - just happened across it during a little ramble around europa.eu, starting off at a search on "withdrawal agreement etias"
Old Apr 27th 2022, 1:01 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

...I really like the apparent contradictory statements in "The usual limitation of a stay of 90 days in a 180 days’ period in the Schengen area does not apply to them, irrespective of whether their passport has been stamped or not. However, they have no right to stay in a Schengen Member State other than that of their residence for more than 90 days in a 180 days’ period."

So we have no limitation in the duration of a stay but no right to stay....
There is no contradiction.

The normal limitation of access to the Schengen Area as a whole which applies to 3rd country nationals does not (can not) apply in the case of persons with authorisation to reside in one of the member states. However, those persons are not authorised to spend more than 90 days in 180 in member states in which they are not resident.

In practice, it might well be impracticable to try to enforce the latter rule, since in the event of only internal borders being crossed, no passport controls are effected under normal circs.

And before anyone leaps in to say "Yes, but what about mobile phone data / number plate recognition / hotel stays / credit card transactions" etc etc etc, sure. Security services could probably trace you via such things if they had an interest in doing so. But we're not all watched like hawks the entire time, so unless they had very good reason to and, probably, the relevant authorisation from a court, they wouldn't have access to such info.
Old Apr 27th 2022, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

NataHH is an unknown quantity at this point

Because there is still a lot of uncertainties I would prefer to get my passport stamped to prevent ambiguities. Especially if you are a frequent flyer, or a resident who had to renew their UK passport it could become problematic (or as some people say a challenge)? At least with a stamp you got some sort of proof and you know whether you are coming or going.
Old Apr 27th 2022, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of interest and excuse my ignorance for those that take out residency would they always have to renew their passport at their original country and never be able to get a Portuguese (therefore EU) passport?

Old Apr 27th 2022, 1:44 pm
Polished expat

Just coming back to this point :
So I guess it will be best to avoid the e-gates and queue with the rest of the third world, - we now know our true place - and flash our residency QR code! Just hope it takes less than the 2 hours I last experienced in Lisbon.
Originally Posted by Red Eric
As each of the Schengen member states will already have the details of 3rd country nationals officially residing in their territory, it wouldn't be outlandish to think that we might be identifiable as such through the common EES.

Failing that, there are actually border officers on the other side of the e-gates, to whom one could show the resident document if required.
A bit of further rummaging tells me I was hopelessly wrong and we are apparently best advised to avoid using the new system :
Who – this is for non-EU nationals who are entering the EU as a visitor (rather than residents). The system scans your passport and will tell you how long you can stay for (based on the 90-allowance or the visa linked to the passport).

What about residents? Non EU nationals who live in an EU country and have a national residency card such as a carte de séjour in France or a TIE in Spain are not affected by this, since they have the right to unlimited stays within their country of residence.

We asked the European Commission how the system works for residents and were told: “The Entry/Exit System will not apply to non-EU citizens holding a residence document or a residence permit. Their personal data will not be registered in the Entry/Exit System.

“It is enough if holders of such documents present them to the border guards to prove their status.”

The Commission later clarified that non-EU citizens who are resident in an EU country should not use eGates or automatic scanners, but should instead head to the queue with an in-person guard (if available) where they can show both their passport and residency document.

However there’s no suggestion those with permanent residency will lose their right of residency if they do go through the automatic gates when entering the EU because their residency status is guaranteed – as long as they can prove it with their permit. Although they could face the inconvenience of a few extra questions next time they travel.
Passport scans and €7 fee: What will change for EU travel in 2022

So that just leaves the question of whether there is any alternative planned to going to the back of the slowest lane in order to see a border guard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.