British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Police (https://britishexpats.com/forum/police-79/)
-   -   Western Australia - Experience as a Special Police Constable? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/police-79/western-australia-experience-special-police-constable-714596/)

skippy2107 Apr 25th 2011 8:13 pm

Western Australia - Experience as a Special Police Constable?

Hello, would experience as a special in the UK make me eligible for lateral entry or do you need to be a regular officer?

Cheers

benjyp10 Apr 26th 2011 4:25 pm

Re: Western Australia - Experience as a Special Police Constable?

Originally Posted by skippy2107 (Post 9325805)
Hello, would experience as a special in the UK make me eligible for lateral entry or do you need to be a regular officer?

Cheers

I would imagine not. Usually all foreign forces require 3years UK service plus completed the Police training.

dreadsoc Apr 26th 2011 6:12 pm

Hi Skippy

I have a feeling that Benjy is right.
That said why not e mail the Australian force you are interestd in and ask. You never know unless you try.

Dread - x

daunted May 1st 2011 9:46 am

That said..............how about if a UK police special officer already has a Permanent Residency visa .... you think they may take into account prior experience??

skippy2107 May 1st 2011 10:01 am

Surely it all counts when you're just applying normally. It can't hurt

daunted May 1st 2011 10:22 am

Originally Posted by skippy2107 (Post 9335852)
Surely it all counts when you're just applying normally. It can't hurt

Thats what i am hoping (and he is!) keep your fingers crossed I may have all my kids in one country some day soon :thumbsup::fingerscrossed:

dreadsoc May 1st 2011 8:41 pm

If you already have permanent residency and you are applying through normal channels then I would think your experience as a UK special would help, especially during interview where you can give real life experiences thta other candidates may not have.

It would not count if you were trying for international transfer.

Good luck with your application

Dread - x

daunted May 2nd 2011 1:29 am

Originally Posted by dreadsoc (Post 9336745)
If you already have permanent residency and you are applying through normal channels then I would think your experience as a UK special would help, especially during interview where you can give real life experiences thta other candidates may not have.

It would not count if you were trying for international transfer.

Good luck with your application

Dread - x

thanks dread, its my son who is specials officer in UK, he has Permanent Residency but decided to stay in UK when we left. He is over on holiday now and considering making the move permantly. On Wednesday he goes to a recruitment seminar at WAPOL so will have more information then. Some of info will no doubt be useful to others on here so i will let you know how it goes.
Good luck to others wanting to make the move :thumbsup:

benjyp10 May 2nd 2011 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by daunted (Post 9337112)
thanks dread, its my son who is specials officer in UK, he has Permanent Residency but decided to stay in UK when we left. He is over on holiday now and considering making the move permantly. On Wednesday he goes to a recruitment seminar at WAPOL so will have more information then. Some of info will no doubt be useful to others on here so i will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the post. Will be of interest to others looking at the recent SAPOL recruiting. He may find out of WAPOL are looking at the UK again.

dreadsoc May 2nd 2011 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by daunted (Post 9337112)

Send my good luck wishes your son's way. :thumbup:

Dread - x

daunted May 3rd 2011 2:52 am

Originally Posted by benjyp10 (Post 9338377)
Thanks for the post. Will be of interest to others looking at the recent SAPOL recruiting. He may find out of WAPOL are looking at the UK again.

I spoke to WAPOL a couple of months back and they told me they are not going to be lookin overseas for the foreseeable future :( Only way in is to have that treasured permanent residency or citizenship. It may change though so keep an eye out on the website. Hoping all goes well for you as i understand the frustration you must be feeling.:fingerscrossed: I will pass on any information that may be of use once he is back :wub:

Originally Posted by dreadsoc (Post 9339120)
Send my good luck wishes your son's way. :thumbup:

Dread - x

Thanks Dread. To finally have all my children in the same country would be like finding the lost final piece of the jigsaw puzzle x:fingerscrossed:

daunted May 12th 2011 10:30 pm

Hi guys - sorry taken so long to get back but been enjoying having my son over. He is now in the air on the way back to UK :(
It seems, as dreadsoc said that being a special police officer doesn't enable the transfer route but if you already have PR then can apply from the UK. No prior recognition is given in terms of entering at higher rank etc BUT the experience you have gained is gonna put you at an advantage during recruitment. Sorry for those that it means bad news too - I know how frustrating it is.
My son is one of the lucky ones having already got PR and I am a very happy mum to say that he has decided to 'go for it' and all being well will be here within 12 months doing the job he already does for free back in the UK.:thumbsup::wub:

Zambia May 14th 2011 2:37 am

Originally Posted by daunted (Post 9360898)
Hi guys - sorry taken so long to get back but been enjoying having my son over. He is now in the air on the way back to UK :(
It seems, as dreadsoc said that being a special police officer doesn't enable the transfer route but if you already have PR then can apply from the UK. No prior recognition is given in terms of entering at higher rank etc BUT the experience you have gained is gonna put you at an advantage during recruitment. Sorry for those that it means bad news too - I know how frustrating it is.
My son is one of the lucky ones having already got PR and I am a very happy mum to say that he has decided to 'go for it' and all being well will be here within 12 months doing the job he already does for free back in the UK.:thumbsup::wub:

Do Special Constables not get paid ??

daunted May 14th 2011 2:51 am

Originally Posted by Zambia (Post 9363393)
Do Special Constables not get paid ??

No Zambia - they put themselves out there on the front line and only get 'expenses' paid - no wage! sucks hey!

Zambia May 14th 2011 4:37 am

Originally Posted by daunted (Post 9363408)
No Zambia - they put themselves out there on the front line and only get 'expenses' paid - no wage! sucks hey!

In Ireland we have the Garda Reserve they don't get paid. However I did not think many other nations would take on the idea.