Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

West / South Australia Police

West / South Australia Police

Old Oct 18th 2008, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

Glasgow Polis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: West / South Australia Police

Greebo this is Fantastic News. I have already printed off the application so I can start to get my head around the content of the application. If anybody can answer this one for me, the application states that I need to have a Current Senior 1st Aid Certificate and failure to have one within 90 days of the application they shall withdraw your application.
A quick google search I found the St John Ambulance page (Australia) which has this certificate, is this the same one as in the UK???
Did everyone else go and do this 4 days course at their own cost (£300)?
I don't mind paying the money but I don't really want to go and do this when it is not the correct course. Anybody got an idea???
Old Oct 18th 2008, 8:34 pm
Chillin out in WA

brisbec will become famous soon enough

Hi there, i wondered about this too but if you go to the other police forum that you subscribe to and enter first aid into the search, you will find your answer. it basically says that you get the training at college and that your current certificate is ok.

Good luck
Old Oct 19th 2008, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisbec
Hi there, i wondered about this too but if you go to the other police forum that you subscribe to and enter first aid into the search, you will find your answer. it basically says that you get the training at college and that your current certificate is ok.

Good luck
I've got my first aid training at the academy tomorrow as it happens. They seemed to be happy with my standard police cert. before I got here. Might be worth emailing them to confirm though, as it's more than two years since I put my application in
Steve
Old Oct 19th 2008, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

Brisbec,
What other forum that I subscribe to has the answers that I am looking for?? is it a secret!
I have dropped the WA recruiting department a wee email to see what the story is with the 1st aid certificate and once i get a reply I shall post if for the info of the other interested folk.
Good Luck.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 11:16 am
Chillin out in WA

Sorry but i thought you were also on police dash forum dot com. I have to write it out in full as previous posters have tried and it doesn't post properly.
Sorry for the possible "secret"...lol

All the best
Old Oct 21st 2008, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

Got a reply from the Recruiting department re the 1st aid certificate. In typical ozzie style, "Don't worry about it!!"
The link on this forum to the appliations is th old version whree you print it off then send it over. The new one is all done on-line adn they don't need (at this stage anyway) certified copies of any documentation etc. So fill in the form and click submit and that is it!!

Only concern is that they have made it very clear that 1st choice will be to cops with between 3 and 7 years service and other applcants will only be considered if they fail to reach the required numbers (what ever they are, anybody know??)
I don't think personally they will struggle with numbers and I am just outside the service bracket but have my finger crossed!!
Old Oct 21st 2008, 2:50 pm
Chillin out in WA

Yeah me too!!
I'm just outside the minimum timescale, however..............

Good luck to you
Old Oct 21st 2008, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

sassy9065 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya, new to the site. I have read the threads about sapol and it has really burst my bubble. I think wapol is gonna be the one. Me and my hubby have been in Norfolk for 12 and 13 years. i'm part time and wonder how i will be treated? I need to hear something positive about wapol, to make all this effort and excitement worthwhile. we are so miserable in norfolk but feel trapped with the pension being so good. Any advice on pensions over there or indead if we can transfer it. I still want to retire at 50 I'm happy to contribute towards it if it means i can. Please advise
Sassy
Old Oct 21st 2008, 11:40 pm
Baz
BE Enthusiast

Baz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sassy9065
Hiya, new to the site. I have read the threads about sapol and it has really burst my bubble. I think wapol is gonna be the one. Me and my hubby have been in Norfolk for 12 and 13 years. i'm part time and wonder how i will be treated? I need to hear something positive about wapol, to make all this effort and excitement worthwhile. we are so miserable in norfolk but feel trapped with the pension being so good. Any advice on pensions over there or indead if we can transfer it. I still want to retire at 50 I'm happy to contribute towards it if it means i can. Please advise
Sassy
I think you will find they are looking for people who are able / want to work full time.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassy9065
Sassy
Hi Sassy,

My initial impression of WAPol has been very positive, albeit I've only been with them for a few weeks. Having said that, most cops I've spoke with, who have been here longer, all generally seem impressed with the setup.
If you are that unhappy at home, I would definitely recommend coming over and giving it a try, of course after you've done as much research as possible.
If you can, look into getting a career break, as at least you have that safety net if things don't work out.
I don't think it would be a major problem if you eventually wanted to work part time. Although you would probably need to work full time initially, I know cops from the UK who are now working part time and the've been here less than 2 years.
as far as pensions are concerned, you can transfer them over here, but I'd get proper financial advice before deciding if that option is best for you.
I've 12 years UK pension, which at this moment at least, I think I'm going to leave in the UK. There are pros and cons with both options and it's a personal decision as to which way to go.
Over here, it's not a pension as such, but your employer ie WAPol pay the equivalent of 9% of your pay into a superannuation fund, which builds up over the course of your career. You can then decide to pay more into your fund and how it is invested.
Again, you would need to seek advice as to how much you would need to contribute, if you wanted to retire at a given age.

Steve
Old Oct 30th 2008, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

arizona123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I read that WA Police are only interested in taking Officers with between 3-7 years service. Is it worth applying if I have 22yrs?. Are SAPOL slightly less restrictive on that front?.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by arizona123
I read that WA Police are only interested in taking Officers with between 3-7 years service. Is it worth applying if I have 22yrs?. Are SAPOL slightly less restrictive on that front?.
When I applied for WAPol they suggested the same thing. There are a number of cops on my intake with 20 years plus.
I think this is their preference, but at the end of the day, if you have the skills and experience they want, they're not going to knock you back for a lesser applicant who has between 3-7 years in.

Steve
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

g_conaty is an unknown quantity at this point

I understand SAPOL have started their international recruitment drive as well with the intention of recruiting a minimum of 70 to start in September 2009 and April 2010. Does anyone know how many cops WAPOL are looking to recruit and when their propsed intakes are?
Old Nov 5th 2008, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

DaleandNatt is an unknown quantity at this point

I think its gonna be around 300 from UK and Ireland over the course of 2010-11. Look at police-Forum.com they have a thread about this.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

lufc71 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi,

I have been in contact with both SAPOL and WAPOL recruitment department regarding reconising previous police experience. I have 6 years in West Yorkshire Police (PC). Wapol will take you on 5 year scale where as SAPOL will only recognise half of your experience and will put on a 3 year scale.

Does any one know whether we can apply to both at same time??

Kind Regards
Imran

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.