Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

WAPOL recruitment - timescales, costs, etc

WAPOL recruitment - timescales, costs, etc

Old Mar 8th 2014, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

Sswindells is an unknown quantity at this point
Default WAPOL recruitment - timescales, costs, etc

Now that WAPol are opening international recruitment again I'm looking at applying.

Before I start the process though I feel it important to get an idea of what is expected financially, how long it will take etc.

Ideally looking for someone who has take the plunge and has an idea of costs and how funded.

At the moment it's only me working and don't own a home. My wife is about to start a new job which will ( after childcare for our daughter ) will prob bring us a few extra hundred pounds every month. We don't have any savings at present either, only a loan that is paying off debtsy wife amassed when she was younger and foolish with money.

If I were to look at applying in this current drive, what would the likely time frame be before having to start spending money on visas etc because I'd be eager to start gettin savings in place.

What would costs would I be looking at ? When would I need to start paying them? And how soon in the process would I need to be doing it? I can gather there would be no financial assistance but is it possible? How have others managed?

I know there are topics about costs but I was eager to hear how it has been managed practically.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 9:38 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WAPOL recruitment - timescales, costs, etc

Originally Posted by Sswindells
Now that WAPol are opening international recruitment again I'm looking at applying.

Before I start the process though I feel it important to get an idea of what is expected financially, how long it will take etc.

Ideally looking for someone who has take the plunge and has an idea of costs and how funded.

At the moment it's only me working and don't own a home. My wife is about to start a new job which will ( after childcare for our daughter ) will prob bring us a few extra hundred pounds every month. We don't have any savings at present either, only a loan that is paying off debtsy wife amassed when she was younger and foolish with money.

If I were to look at applying in this current drive, what would the likely time frame be before having to start spending money on visas etc because I'd be eager to start gettin savings in place.

What would costs would I be looking at ? When would I need to start paying them? And how soon in the process would I need to be doing it? I can gather there would be no financial assistance but is it possible? How have others managed?

I know there are topics about costs but I was eager to hear how it has been managed practically.
Hi there Sswindells

Last years successful applicants were applying for visas in October / November time. Current costs can be found on immi.gov.au website but for a couple with one child, the visa application is around $6200. You would also need medicals and police checks so around £1000 for all of that. Visa application costs need to be paid at time of application, and medicals and police checks can be completed before applying so around the same time.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

john in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst moving & immigration costs etc are a consideration - Living costs also need to be considered as well. You should check out the costs of renting in Perth if not buying and if buying the cost of housing in WA.

We have friends from UK Pol who have come over to wapol and they may shed some light on any questions you have on the process that you can not find an answer too.

cheers john
Old Mar 10th 2014, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Irishcop is an unknown quantity at this point

I applied in May 2013. The first cost I incurred was flying to London in July for my initial assessments. The next cost was flying back to London again in September for my interview and fitness test. In novber I had to pay £45 for an ACPO police check and £60 for a GP medical. I applied for my visa in January which cost £1902 ( I'm travelling alone so that will be more expensive for those taking family) and £250 for an immigration medical. After that was £620 for my flight. I'm landing 3 weeks before my start date so will be there roughly 5 weeks before my first pay. Havin spoken to a few others, generally I aim to land with about £3k in the bank to cover rent/bond/ and good etc until
I get paid. I hope this helps
Old Mar 11th 2014, 3:54 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by john in oz
Whilst moving & immigration costs etc are a consideration - Living costs also need to be considered as well. You should check out the costs of renting in Perth if not buying and if buying the cost of housing in WA.

We have friends from UK Pol who have come over to wapol and they may shed some light on any questions you have on the process that you can not find an answer too.

cheers john
We also have the main Australia lifestyle forum with shedloads of info on living costs