Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

WAPOL recruiting Internationally again!

WAPOL recruiting Internationally again!

Old Mar 11th 2014, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

MAVA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WAPOL recruiting Internationally again!

Originally Posted by stuartt0908
Thanks to all replying so far.

I know there's a loonngg way to go but..... Can anyone already serving clarify for me what the 'shift penalties' are? May sound stupid i know but penalty suggests a deduction? Or is it an additional allowance? If so what sort of difference would it make to a monthly salary?

Just trying to get my sums right before I bash on and apply to find out I can't afford to live!!

Stuart.
Shift penalties is an extra hourly allowance for working shifts! The amount was on their website last time but they have taken it off! It's around $30 odd dollars a shift... Extra ££ in your pocket.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

stuartt0908 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. They are still on the website, and range from $39 for a weekend through $66 for a nightshift. Just wonder if anyone with knowledge of the shift pattern etc could elaborate on it, and on how much on average you receive in penalties per month. Also is OT a regular occurrence?

Thanks,

Stuart.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

john in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond repute

You should work out your living expenses based on your standard wage and see how that ends up - to rely on shifts and over time is fraught with danger and you could end up being short on living expenses if they do not come in as expected.

Rent is expensive and whether or not your partner (if you have one) can get extra work would be additional factors to factor in.

cheers john
Old Mar 12th 2014, 3:54 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by john in oz
You should work out your living expenses based on your standard wage and see how that ends up - to rely on shifts and over time is fraught with danger and you could end up being short on living expenses if they do not come in as expected.

Rent is expensive and whether or not your partner (if you have one) can get extra work would be additional factors to factor in.

cheers john
True to some extent, but if shift based roles are the norm then it would be usual to include some allowance
Old Mar 12th 2014, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Current penalties are:

Day shift = any shift that starts between 6am - 10am on a weekend = $39.15 (No penalty rate for Mon - Fri day shift)

Afternoon shift = ,, 11am - 4.30pm = $44.58

Evening shift = ,,5pm - 7.30pm = $53.45

Night shift= ,, 8pm - 5.30am = $66.87

So if you work 4 x 10 hr night shifts you would get an extra $267.48 in your pay packet

Last edited by daunted; Mar 12th 2014 at 6:57 am. Reason: additional information
Old Mar 12th 2014, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

Thanks daunted, and to all who replied. It's not a matter of depending on allowances and OT but rather just getting a feel for the true incomings and outgoings.

Is anyone able to tell me their current shift pattern please? This would be useful not only for myself but also for working out child care and what type of hours the good lady could work!

Thanks again,

Stuart.

Last edited by stuartt0908; Mar 12th 2014 at 7:41 am. Reason: Inability to spell 1st thing in the morning!
Old Mar 12th 2014, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

HarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant future

Shift patter, unfortunately, varies from station to station. Some get it well in advance, others two weeks in advance.

My advice would be to concentrate all your energies on your application form. Trust me, once that's away you'll have plenty free time to do your research during the 'anxiously waiting' period.

Get through the sift. Then start worrying about the finances. ( which are fine by the way)
HB
Old Mar 12th 2014, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Noted Harry, I know it may appear that I'm way ahead of myself but just trying to establish the practicalities before taking the plunge.

That said the application is a work in progress and relevant documents have been requested from current force, I am already plunging!!

Stuart.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

HarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant future

Stu, the practicalities are important. But right now the most important part of this process is getting through the sift.

You've a year to work on practicalities
Old Mar 12th 2014, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HarryBosch
Stu, the practicalities are important. But right now the most important part of this process is getting through the sift.

You've a year to work on practicalities
HB,

Not sure I can spend another year thinking about the practicalities 24 hours a day!

Came across some of your questions from last year, and responses to them, whilst browsing last night, most informative.

I too am looking to take the leap from Bonnie Scotland!

All the best,

Stu.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

DM1432 is an unknown quantity at this point

Shift penalties are handy every fortnight if you work shifts, which all GD's do, roster well watch this space with the reform process underway there is talk of a metro wide roster giving you an idea to plan. Again don't worry too much about this just yet, concentrate on your application, you want to sell yourself and aim to get to the next stage.

good luck
Old Mar 12th 2014, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Time4Change is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello! A new member and first time poster. Fantastic news to hear WAPOL are recruiting internationally again. I am in the process of completing my application form! Fingers crossed and good luck to all that are applying!
Old Mar 12th 2014, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

foggy balla is an unknown quantity at this point

Form done. Several rough drafts of personal statement later! Just waiting for my HR to pull their finger out with providing copies of my relevant records, get my scanning done and sent off. First small step just about to be taken. Daunting.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Nice one Foggy. In the meantime you can start preparing for the exams and that bloody sit up.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

foggy balla is an unknown quantity at this point

Sit up already being worked on Harry. I can do leg raises, crunches, alternate crunches by the dozen. One single sit up with feet kept completely flat on the deck however... Boy were you guys right this past few months! Practice required!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.