Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

WAPol 2014 PPE physical preparation.

WAPol 2014 PPE physical preparation.

Old Apr 20th 2014, 7:24 pm
Almost there...

Pincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud of
Default WAPol 2014 PPE physical preparation.

Well, sadly I have nothing better to do now I've eaten all my Easter eggs! I know some of you are already looking at this aspect, so here's my pennies worth.
Once past you'll get details of the PPE along with a form which you have to take to your doctor so he can, somewhat bemusedly, sign you as fit to do the PPE.

The link to the demo videos on StepForward:

http://www.stepforward.wa.gov.au/how...ysical-videos/

1. Situp. I scoffed at this, until I tried to do it. It's harder than it appears. Practise with your feet flat on the ground, though in the test only your heels need to remain in contact with the ground.

2. Shuttle/Bleep test. Make sure you definitely know your level. Some have goofed this bit by stopping too early.
Here's a link with a table to show you how to replicate it on a running machine in the gym. It was a great help to me during the bad winter weather, though try to do it in conditions similar to the test.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shuttle_run

It's not based on best effort just to your age level, but everyone does a little extra. But don't go mad!

3. Crowd control simulator. WAPol can't bring this over so they substitute it with deadlift and upright row. I think it's 40kg and 20 kg respectively, 10 reps.

4. Firearm pre-selection. They will use a grip test instead. It's '30' each hand for males. Not sure if it's the same for females.

5. Agility test. This caused me the greatest stress. Just because I'd never done anything like it before. It's all about technique. So practise, practise, practise. Firstly getting up off the floor using a pressup and running off. Then work on moving in and around the cones and then work on your speed building it up to maximum effort.

And remember, adrenalin works wonders on the day!
Old Apr 20th 2014, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

arronc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WAPol 2014 PPE physical preparation.

Originally Posted by Pincher
Well, sadly I have nothing better to do now I've eaten all my Easter eggs! I know some of you are already looking at this aspect, so here's my pennies worth.
Once past you'll get details of the PPE along with a form which you have to take to your doctor so he can, somewhat bemusedly, sign you as fit to do the PPE.

The link to the demo videos on StepForward:

http://www.stepforward.wa.gov.au/how...ysical-videos/

1. Situp. I scoffed at this, until I tried to do it. It's harder than it appears. Practise with your feet flat on the ground, though in the test only your heels need to remain in contact with the ground.

2. Shuttle/Bleep test. Make sure you definitely know your level. Some have goofed this bit by stopping too early.
Here's a link with a table to show you how to replicate it on a running machine in the gym. It was a great help to me during the bad winter weather, though try to do it in conditions similar to the test.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shuttle_run

It's not based on best effort just to your age level, but everyone does a little extra. But don't go mad!

3. Crowd control simulator. WAPol can't bring this over so they substitute it with deadlift and upright row. I think it's 40kg and 20 kg respectively, 10 reps.

4. Firearm pre-selection. They will use a grip test instead. It's '30' each hand for males. Not sure if it's the same for females.

5. Agility test. This caused me the greatest stress. Just because I'd never done anything like it before. It's all about technique. So practise, practise, practise. Firstly getting up off the floor using a pressup and running off. Then work on moving in and around the cones and then work on your speed building it up to maximum effort.

And remember, adrenalin works wonders on the day!
Thanks for the info Pincher really appreciated.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

arronc is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the heads up Pincher it's really appreciated.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

grdnblack is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi folks, just ran through most of the fitness today to see where I'm at.

Press-ups check, sit-up check (although needs more practice), dead lift and bent over rows check, beep test check, agility fail. Didn't do grip test.

Two things I found...

Beep test
PSoS (tayside) use 15m shuttles, WA are using 20m shuttles. Beep timings are also different due to length difference. As long as you work to the beeps (like your supposed to) shouldn't cause any problems. A little more work was involved as I'm used to 15m runs, the extra 5m per shuttle was a little off putting at first but, head down and run. Legs feeling it now though.

Agility test
First run - 18.9
Second run - 17.9
More practice required for me but the hall flooring didn't provide any favors. I thought my indoor fives trainers would provide enough grip but no! Not getting the best start/push off and sliding at every turn cost dearly.

Thankfully no major concerns raised :-)

It worth getting out and seeing where your at and as many have said before, practice practice practice!
Old Apr 21st 2014, 5:29 pm
Almost there...

Pincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud of

That's one thing I've never understood; why all UK police use 15m on the shuttle run, while the original, and international standard used by everyone else is 20m?
Old Apr 21st 2014, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

foggy balla is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd stick my neck out and say because it's easier Pincher. Less likelihood of certain groups featuring disproportionately in the fail ststistics.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 6:19 pm
Almost there...

Easier for everyone. UK police on the whole aren't known for their great levels of job related fitness. Not helped by no encouragement from those upstairs

Last edited by Pincher; Apr 21st 2014 at 6:24 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

Richie86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Any idea if women are required to do the same press ups as the men?
Old Apr 21st 2014, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

Lividave is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by grdnblack
Hi folks, just ran through most of the fitness today to see where I'm at.

Press-ups check, sit-up check (although needs more practice), dead lift and bent over rows check, beep test check, agility fail. Didn't do grip test.

Two things I found...

Beep test
PSoS (tayside) use 15m shuttles, WA are using 20m shuttles. Beep timings are also different due to length difference. As long as you work to the beeps (like your supposed to) shouldn't cause any problems. A little more work was involved as I'm used to 15m runs, the extra 5m per shuttle was a little off putting at first but, head down and run. Legs feeling it now though.

Agility test
First run - 18.9
Second run - 17.9
More practice required for me but the hall flooring didn't provide any favors. I thought my indoor fives trainers would provide enough grip but no! Not getting the best start/push off and sliding at every turn cost dearly.

Thankfully no major concerns raised :-)

It worth getting out and seeing where your at and as many have said before, practice practice practice!
Where did you get a recording of the beep test and the layout of the agility test grdnblack?
Old Apr 21st 2014, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

HarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant future

The only thing different for the ladies is the levels on the bleep.
HB
Old Apr 21st 2014, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

GRANTY99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lividave
Where did you get a recording of the beep test and the layout of the agility test grdnblack?
Hi,

There are loads of free apps on iStore and play store for the 20m beep test.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

GRANTY99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi HB

Will PM you shortly

Granty99
Old Apr 21st 2014, 10:20 pm
Living the dream in WA

gregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond repute

A WORD OF WARNING PEOPLE. In London they MAKE you keep your whole foot on the floor for the sit up. It may have been different in Aus testing Pincher, but feet have to stay flat on the floor and not move. Practise it like that and if they say different in the day it'll be a nice surprise, but don't count on it.
You can look on the WAPol website at the fitness test requirements and it will show you the layout for the agility Lividave.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 4:39 am
Just Joined

grdnblack is an unknown quantity at this point

Lividave, it was info I managed to get from the stepforward website before it was redesigned. The agility test was called the 'modified illinois agility test', googling should find a layout (9.14m x 4m)
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 8:36 am
Just Joined

Lividave is an unknown quantity at this point

Great, thanks guys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.