British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Police (https://britishexpats.com/forum/police-79/)
-   -   WAPol 2014 PEE preparation (https://britishexpats.com/forum/police-79/wapol-2014-pee-preparation-831347/)

Pincher Apr 15th 2014 10:18 am

WAPol 2014 PEE preparation

Well everyone. Onto the next hurdle!

Ok. I'll try to be helpful, but without giving to much away as that's not fair on those not on this forum, and it has to be on your own merit, not others.
The Stepforward tests have gone, but were of the following format:

Spelling: given a list of 6 words. Pick the one or two that are spelt incorrectly.

Antonyms/Synonyms: A list of six words. Pick out those, usually two, which are similar in meaning to each other, or different in meaning to the other four.

Statements: A statement is made. Then a list of four facts. Pick those facts which prove the statement.

Spatial reasoning: Pick the next shape/pattern in a sequence.

Maths: Work out the relationship between a list of numbers and work out what the missing numbers are.

I looked at the Vetassess test example for Victoria Police. This is a good representation of what should be practised:

http://www.vetassess.com.au/take_a_t...asoningAbility

Stepforward recommended a list of books to help. I bought this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I thought it was ok. But I actually scored high on the StepForward tests so didn't do that much practising.

Mike Bryon and Sanjay Mohda have published several books on passing selection tests

Hope this helps.

Messy82 Apr 15th 2014 10:40 am

Re: WAPol 2014 PEE preparation

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated Pincher :) I was wondering what tests they had taken off the site.

Thank you!

Lobsta28 Apr 15th 2014 7:22 pm

Hi pincher, I'm new to this forum so wondering if you have experience of the PEE tests and the stages after this?
Not looking for the answers just expectations of the format, dress code, next steps.
Your post is helpful in preparation for the initial exams, thanks

Pincher Apr 15th 2014 11:29 pm

I've been through the whole procedure, albeit at Perth. Rather than go through everything step by step all in one go (it's a long process) it will be easier to address each stage as it is reached.
:)

BillyBoomhauser Apr 16th 2014 10:05 pm

Thanks for this Pincher.

I know you don't want to give too much away, but does the mathematics section of the PEE include general math questions (i.e division, multiplication, etc.) or is it purely working out missing numbers?

Cheers for your help.

Slippery Pete Apr 17th 2014 9:39 am

Originally Posted by BillyBoomhauser (Post 11222318)
Thanks for this Pincher.

I know you don't want to give too much away, but does the mathematics section of the PEE include general math questions (i.e division, multiplication, etc.) or is it purely working out missing numbers?

Cheers for your help.

It's both at the WAPOL academy so it maybe the same

Pincher Apr 17th 2014 11:10 am

The format of the tests aren't set in stone. From having spoken to applicants who have sat the PEE in both the UK and in Perth they're always different and you may not always get what you're expecting.

gregster10217 Apr 17th 2014 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Lobsta28 (Post 11220591)
Hi pincher, I'm new to this forum so wondering if you have experience of the PEE tests and the stages after this?
Not looking for the answers just expectations of the format, dress code, next steps.
Your post is helpful in preparation for the initial exams, thanks

I went through the whole process in London last year. Like Pincher, I won't give anything away, but would suggest you follow his advise regarding preparation for the PEE. With regard to dress, I firmly believe you will be assessed at every stage (even if you aren't) so I would dress accordingly, as in a suit and tie for all of it, even the information session. There were people on my PEE wearing ripped jeans and t-shirts with tattoos all over the place. Tattoos aren't a problem as long as they're not offensive, generally, but jeans and a t-shirt for a professional exam?! I don't think so. Strangely enough, the people I saw dressed like that, I haven't seen them again.
For what it's worth, having been in Australia with the family for near on 6 weeks now, and 3 at the academy, it's been the best thing we've ever done and will not be returning to the UK. So people, use your time wisely and prepare, prepare, prepare as it is so very worthwhile.
:D

Lobsta28 Apr 17th 2014 6:17 pm

Gregster, that's helpful thanks
Any books, sites, apps that are good to help you get back into maths,Robles solving, spelling and the likes?

Deblongden Apr 18th 2014 8:56 am

Originally Posted by gregster10217 (Post 11223292)
I went through the whole process in London last year. Like Pincher, I won't give anything away, but would suggest you follow his advise regarding preparation for the PEE. With regard to dress, I firmly believe you will be assessed at every stage (even if you aren't) so I would dress accordingly, as in a suit and tie for all of it, even the information session. There were people on my PEE wearing ripped jeans and t-shirts with tattoos all over the place. Tattoos aren't a problem as long as they're not offensive, generally, but jeans and a t-shirt for a professional exam?! I don't think so. Strangely enough, the people I saw dressed like that, I haven't seen them again.
For what it's worth, having been in Australia with the family for near on 6 weeks now, and 3 at the academy, it's been the best thing we've ever done and will not be returning to the UK. So people, use your time wisely and prepare, prepare, prepare as it is so very worthwhile.
:D

Hi, Can you recommend any decent hotels close to the PEE venue please? Also am I right in thinking London Kings Cross is the closest main train station?

Thank you :)

HarryBosch Apr 18th 2014 10:40 am

I stayed in the Strand Palace Hotel. Top of Waterloo bridge. 2 mins from Australia House.
HB

Slippery Pete Apr 18th 2014 11:28 am

Originally Posted by HarryBosch (Post 11224423)
I stayed in the Strand Palace Hotel. Top of Waterloo bridge. 2 mins from Australia House.
HB

If it's a nice place to stay :)

Deblongden Apr 18th 2014 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by HarryBosch (Post 11224423)
HB

Cheers HB :)

HarryBosch Apr 19th 2014 12:04 am

I paid £180 for two nights which given it's location was a pretty decent price. Biggest thing for me was that it was only a 2 min walk to Australia House.

A few others I know stayed in rooms above the YMCA where you do your fitness tests. It's the other side of Covant garden from Australua House. Maybe a 20 walk.
If you check back last years posts about interview/fitness the details are in there.
HB

Silverman2014 Apr 19th 2014 8:56 am

Is there a pass mark you need to reach for the PEE or are you against everyone else and they will take x amount of people who scored highest? Any ideas on the failure rate on last years PEE?