Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

WA police Modified Illinois Agility test

WA police Modified Illinois Agility test

Old Aug 9th 2013, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

HarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant future
Default WA police Modified Illinois Agility test

Hi all

Got fitness test at start of September so have been working hard. Someone suggested this would be the most difficult aspect and they're not wrong.

Just set the course up the park and had about 10 attempts at this. Got 16.8 once. All other efforts were out with the 17 secs. Now granted this was on grass and it was the kids timing it but it certainly gives food for thought.
Personally feel that if I can master the starting procedure then I'll save valuable time. And hopefully doing it on a non-slip surface will allow me to hit the turns a bit harder.

Anyone have any advice or thoughts on this? Also, age is taken into consideration for the beep test so why not for this?
Bloody sit up!!!!!!
Old Aug 10th 2013, 11:19 am
Chillin out in WA

brisbec will become famous soon enough
Default Re: WA police Modified Illinois Agility test

Make sure you have all your dimensions worked out properly, it's 4m wide.
The start, as you say, is definitely the one bit that can save you a lot of time.
You have to try and "pop up" as if you were on a surfboard.
If you have been successful on grass , then I reckon you more than likely got it spot on. The gym is very good and you won't be slipping and sliding everwhere.

Good luck peeps.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Phantasm139 is an unknown quantity at this point

So just to confirm its 9.14 by 4 metres?
Old Aug 10th 2013, 12:45 pm
Chillin out in WA

Yep
Old Aug 10th 2013, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Phantasm139 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brisbec
Yep
Nice one.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

HarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant future

Thanks mate. I had the right dimensions. Still trying to establish whether I can make the right hand turns by pushing off my right foot and turning over my left shoulder and vice versa for left turns. Think that should help Momentum.

Definetly going to be practising the snap start.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Maddjose is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep
Hi brisbec, this is quite possibly a stoopid question but do you have to travel around the cones/markers or just put your foot past them????? I've just about sussed it but my times are a tenth out but I am working to 9.50m in length.
The rest is fine, i can get to 10.1 + on the bleep test but as I'm 42 this is realistically my one and Only shot at the golden ticket.... All tips gratefully received.... Thanks in advance.. ;-)
Old Aug 11th 2013, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Maddjose. How are you finding the bleep? 10.1 is pretty impressive. Are you normally quite fit it have you been working hard?
Old Aug 11th 2013, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HarryBosch
Maddjose. How are you finding the bleep? 10.1 is pretty impressive. Are you normally quite fit it have you been working hard?
Hi HarryBosch,

Yes I'm reasonably fit due to current role (AFO) but it certainly isn't a walk in the park. (Blowing quite a bit!!) I'm training 2-3 times per week, 5km runs with the odd bleep test thrown in for good measure. The Illinois is just nagging me, so will have to do it to the correct dimensions and see where I am. Try High intensity training.... works wonders!!

Are you also down in the smoke on the 3rd Sept??
Old Aug 11th 2013, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

I fly down on the 3rd mate. Will get to my hotel, a stones throw from Oz house, about 5 ish I reckon.
I'm currently doing 5 km Fartlek runs 3/4 times a week. Moderate pace for 10 mins warm up. Then 2 mins higher intensity, 30 secs flat out repeat that 6 times. Total run time 25mins. I'll make sure I'm ready for the bleep. Also doing a strength/core work out 3 times a week and am practicing the start of the agility everyday. I'm positive if I can bail the start I'll be fine.

You got interview, fitness and the other thing on the 3rd?
Old Aug 12th 2013, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HarryBosch
I fly down on the 3rd mate. Will get to my hotel, a stones throw from Oz house, about 5 ish I reckon.
I'm currently doing 5 km Fartlek runs 3/4 times a week. Moderate pace for 10 mins warm up. Then 2 mins higher intensity, 30 secs flat out repeat that 6 times. Total run time 25mins. I'll make sure I'm ready for the bleep. Also doing a strength/core work out 3 times a week and am practicing the start of the agility everyday. I'm positive if I can bail the start I'll be fine.

You got interview, fitness and the other thing on the 3rd?

You've certainly got the training nailed mate, so should breeze it.

Yes I've got the lot on the 3rd

Only minor problem is I return from a 2 week holiday on the 1st..... Have to take the trainers with me!!!!
Old Aug 12th 2013, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

I know the feeling mate. I was due to go on a week long trip with the lads. Booked it in January. Been looking forward to it ever since. Only problem is its the week if my interview fitness etc so its cancelled now and I'm booked for London instead.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 7:21 pm
Chillin out in WA

Originally Posted by Maddjose
Hi brisbec, this is quite possibly a stoopid question but do you have to travel around the cones/markers or just put your foot past them????? I've just about sussed it but my times are a tenth out but I am working to 9.50m in length.
The rest is fine, i can get to 10.1 + on the bleep test but as I'm 42 this is realistically my one and Only shot at the golden ticket.... All tips gratefully received.... Thanks in advance.. ;-)
You have to go around the cones.
If you touch one, it's an automatic fail. They use very small ones but you can't knock one.
It really is all about practice and making sure you go the right way. There was one on our fitness day that got lost on his weaving bit. He probably panicked but don't forget. If you fail the first run, you get one more shot at it on the day.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

You have to go around the cones.
If you touch one, it's an automatic fail. They use very small ones but you can't knock one.
It really is all about practice and making sure you go the right way. There was one on our fitness day that got lost on his weaving bit. He probably panicked but don't forget. If you fail the first run, you get one more shot at it on the day.

Thanks Brisbec and good luck with the move.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

Nottsscouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Folks, just noticed today that the WA website is showing a slightly different fitness test. Reduced the levels on the bleep test and altered the agility test to include weights. Have a read.
I've e mailed WA to confirm which one we will be doing in London and will update with a new thread when they reply.
Keep training!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.