Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

WA Police International Transition recruitment

WA Police International Transition recruitment

Old Nov 3rd 2022, 4:41 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WA Police International Transition recruitment

Originally Posted by Rachwales
Hi my husband is a Sgt with 25yrs service and has just received an email saying he’s got through the 1st stage. Does anyone know what the next stage entails? Also, my husband at this moment in time is not 100% convinced that this is the right move for us, however I think it it is. Concerns are our daughter is hopefully attending university next year and how this would affect her with her being able to join us afterwards (total novice at this process) and secondly my husbands UK police pension.. what happens with this.. I was ill health retired from the police 18 months ago but wanting to work in some capacity if we moved (currently working as a seasonal border force officer) just wondering process of spouses being able to work.
You as the spouse would definitely be able to work at any job you could get. With your daughter it could be more complicated, as she can be included on the application if she is still dependent on you, but if she is supporting herself through uni it might be difficult to prove dependency. If she is no longer dependent she would need to qualify for her own visa independently.
Pensions are more complicated & I am a nightmare where finances are concerned so I can't answer that one.
Old Nov 3rd 2022, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

notbrazil is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rachwales
Hi my husband is a Sgt with 25yrs service and has just received an email saying he’s got through the 1st stage. Does anyone know what the next stage entails? Also, my husband at this moment in time is not 100% convinced that this is the right move for us, however I think it it is. Concerns are our daughter is hopefully attending university next year and how this would affect her with her being able to join us afterwards (total novice at this process) and secondly my husbands UK police pension.. what happens with this.. I was ill health retired from the police 18 months ago but wanting to work in some capacity if we moved (currently working as a seasonal border force officer) just wondering process of spouses being able to work.
I'm also a Sergeant and weighing up whether or not to go for this. Regarding pensions, according to the WAPOL site and the HMRC site, you CAN 'transfer' a UK pension into the WA superannuation fund but from what I gather, you're essentially just going to get your contributions back to put into the super fund. Pensions seem to be quite different over there than here. Our pensions in the UK are made up towards the end, meaning you get rewarded for staying in the scheme until retirement.

If your husband has 25 years in, he will have a significant chunk in the 1987 and 2006 pensions. To be frank, leaving the pension after 25 years is a HUGE call to make. He will definitely lose out on a very significant amount of money. Whether that's worth it or not is another matter of course.
Old Nov 4th 2022, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

mossy1986 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, I’ve found this great channel on YouTube of a family vlogging their move to Australia. All in 2021 too so quite current. Some may find it useful. They use a company called Seven Seas to move their belongings. They have what they call MoveCube which is a large wooden box. Much cheaper than a container. Link below also

https://youtube.com/c/ThatJohnstonLife

https://www.sevenseasworldwide.com
Old Nov 4th 2022, 2:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mossy1986
They have what they call MoveCube which is a large wooden box. Much cheaper than a container.
It is much cheaper than a container, but obviously you can't take as much as you could in a shipping container, so don't forget to factor in having to re-buy everything that you don't ship to Oz.
Old Nov 4th 2022, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It is much cheaper than a container, but obviously you can't take as much as you could in a shipping container, so don't forget to factor in having to re-buy everything that you don't ship to Oz.
oh yes most definitely. In our circumstances because we’re moving in with friends for 3 months we’d save as much as possible. I’ve also heard great things about there being plenty of outlets to get some things nearly new or 2nd hand to start off which would help. In all I feel for us, it would be better to ship only sentimental items and start fresh over there. Obviously everyone is different
Old Nov 4th 2022, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

Jacjos is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the links, interesting. I applied on 28/10, still not heard. Just anxious as I really want this to happen. lol.

Have u been in contact with anyone from the WAPOL?

Old Nov 4th 2022, 3:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mossy1986
oh yes most definitely. In our circumstances because we’re moving in with friends for 3 months we’d save as much as possible. I’ve also heard great things about there being plenty of outlets to get some things nearly new or 2nd hand to start off which would help. In all I feel for us, it would be better to ship only sentimental items and start fresh over there. Obviously everyone is different
Absolutely. We're taking our own stuff with us, for us it feels like the right choice, particularly for the kids to have familiar things and their own beds/desks etc around them to help settle them in and make it feel a bit more like home. But we'll be moving straight in to a house so no need to store anything, and also our shipping is being paid for which definitely helps! It will be so dependent on each person's circumstances.
Old Nov 4th 2022, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jacjos
Thanks for the links, interesting. I applied on 28/10, still not heard. Just anxious as I really want this to happen. lol.

Have u been in contact with anyone from the WAPOL?
I know the feeling! I applied 19/10. Up to yesterday people who had applied 19th and 20th had heard. I haven’t contacted anyone in recruitment but I do have contact with a friend of mine who is currently a Police Officer in WAPOL. So between him and Pincher on here the info has been great!!
Old Nov 4th 2022, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

I hate waiting for the unknown lol. Everything happens for a reason I believe. I have 2 boys aged 10 and 8 who love their sport and outdoors, i have. I issue only having 5 year recognition for the 18 years year. Way it is at the moment nobody care about length of service or what you have achieved, just the negative people seem
to focus on. I’m sure cops out there feel the same at times, however to have the weather and happy kids will make any negative feel better
Old Nov 6th 2022, 1:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat126 is an unknown quantity at this point

I’ve had a read through this thread and thought I’d throw in my experiences into the hat. This is by no means a post to try and put you off, more make you aware of what you’re signing up to.

I came over to Perth in 2007 to work in WAPOL after doing 15yrs frontline in the Uk (I’m going to be a bit vague with the details as I can guarantee this is being monitored) and I’m still frontline.

I walked into WAPOL blind and just viewed it as an adventure and if it all goes wrong I’ll go back home. That’s fine if you’re single, but if you have a wife and kids it’s not that straightforward.

From my intake of 15 Uk cops, 4 of us are still doing it and I’m the only GD’s cop left (because I love it). The rest quit for various reasons. Quite a few left and went back home, mainly those with a family. The pressures of separating from the UK and relatives, or kids not getting on at school, wife feels lonely, culture shock..the list goes on. A few ‘ping ponged’ as they call it at great expense.

It’s very important to workout why you want to leave the UK and always have that in your head. It’s far to easy to sit in Oz thinking of the good things that you miss in the UK and forgetting why you left in the first place.

My recruitment was fast and took 6months from application to a academy. I can’t remember how long I was at the academy, but I do know it was terrible. They’ve apparently got a lot better and there are quite a few ex-UK cops there now who have been through it and will help.

When I arrived it was pretty much a similar scenario to what’s going on now. Cops were leaving for the mines and they couldn’t recruit locals (an Insp at the academy once told me the locals kept failing the psych test). When we did rock up we were ‘Dirty DEATS’ and not thought of very highly. Probably due to every other coppers claiming they were a sniper, helicopter pilot, or had solved all the murders in the Uk (top tip: Don’t talk about how much better it is in the UK. It really annoys the locals and sound like a twit).

If you are serious about coming out here, be exactly that. Know what you’re walking into.

There is a reason cops are leaving and they can’t fill the spots. We are losing about 10-15cops per week and the academy can’t keep up.
On an average Friday, Sat, Sunday in the outer suburbs each station will be lucky to put out a car (two cops). A lot of those cops are on recalls to make up the numbers (there are currently loads of recalls, so you can make money if you want it). You’ll be with your partner driving around from job to job and good luck getting backup to you quickly (I got sent at 3am to assist a crew fighting at a house party and it took me 30mins flat out to get to them. When we arrived it was 4cops, 40 drunk bogans and a lot of calming everything down). Oh and on Monday morning when District Office has their ‘Morning Prayers’ chat, they’ll be ripping apart how you dealt with each call).

Policing wise expect to probably do what you’re doing now, but with slightly different practices and rules. When you read the Criminal Investigation Act 2006, you’ll be saying “Someone ripped off PACE!”. The best thing over here is that if a suspect wants a lawyer, you hand him a phone book. Good luck buddy, you’re paying for it!

Jobs wise, lots of DV’s, loads of Mental Health jobs, disturbances, stealings ,sudden deaths, etc. Also as GD’a cops you’ll be getting basic investigations. Which means the crap ones, like my neighbours squirted me with his hose.

I don’t want to sound all negative, but make you aware it’s not all beaches and blue skies. I personally can’t wait for UK cops to turn up as they’re good at talking to people and have a sense of humour (Aussies don’t do sarcasm).

You’re definitely needed as we are struggling and moral is low. My advice would be, apply and give it a go and if it doesn’t work out at least you tried.

Definitely try and rent, or stay with friends when you come out. Ask!!!!! the cops at a local station about any suburb or street you’re thinking of renting in, or buying in. Homewest (council houses to you lot) are everywhere but a few select suburbs. Look for sofas on front lawns, burnout marks in the street and random shopping trolleys full of rubbish in the garden. Don’t worry, you’ll get good at spotting them.

Do NOT be tempted to go Regional straight away If you have a family. The culture shock would be to much and you’d hate it. Settle in before tackling that one. There is a reason they pay you big money to work places like Halls Creek.

Anyway, enough ranting. Good luck, go for it and you never know you might love it. I’m still here after 15yrs and about to spend my Sunday morning fishing off Rottnest (excuse the format or errors, I’m waiting for my turn on the boat ramp).

Good luck and remember to bring a cake on your first day.
Old Nov 6th 2022, 7:37 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that post mate. Very informative and some good points to take in. I have read a few negative things, however the negative with the job seems the same as here. I do think that is policing these days, society has changed and the respect I was taught to give just seems to be fading away. I’m only 38 lol.

Would you say the better work life balance is worth the points you raised? I am trying to be realistic, I know I’m not gonna move and have a massive house with pool and everything that we dream of. I just want a nice house, nice area and be able to enjoy family time and see my boys grow, the move is more for them than me. It’s something I have always wanted, however since have my 2 boys it’s pushed me to want it more.
Old Nov 6th 2022, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Zinger124
I’ve had a read through this thread and thought I’d throw in my experiences into the hat. This is by no means a post to try and put you off, more make you aware of what you’re signing up to.

I came over to Perth in 2007 to work in WAPOL after doing 15yrs frontline in the Uk (I’m going to be a bit vague with the details as I can guarantee this is being monitored) and I’m still frontline.

I walked into WAPOL blind and just viewed it as an adventure and if it all goes wrong I’ll go back home. That’s fine if you’re single, but if you have a wife and kids it’s not that straightforward.

From my intake of 15 Uk cops, 4 of us are still doing it and I’m the only GD’s cop left (because I love it). The rest quit for various reasons. Quite a few left and went back home, mainly those with a family. The pressures of separating from the UK and relatives, or kids not getting on at school, wife feels lonely, culture shock..the list goes on. A few ‘ping ponged’ as they call it at great expense.

It’s very important to workout why you want to leave the UK and always have that in your head. It’s far to easy to sit in Oz thinking of the good things that you miss in the UK and forgetting why you left in the first place.

My recruitment was fast and took 6months from application to a academy. I can’t remember how long I was at the academy, but I do know it was terrible. They’ve apparently got a lot better and there are quite a few ex-UK cops there now who have been through it and will help.

When I arrived it was pretty much a similar scenario to what’s going on now. Cops were leaving for the mines and they couldn’t recruit locals (an Insp at the academy once told me the locals kept failing the psych test). When we did rock up we were ‘Dirty DEATS’ and not thought of very highly. Probably due to every other coppers claiming they were a sniper, helicopter pilot, or had solved all the murders in the Uk (top tip: Don’t talk about how much better it is in the UK. It really annoys the locals and sound like a twit).

If you are serious about coming out here, be exactly that. Know what you’re walking into.

There is a reason cops are leaving and they can’t fill the spots. We are losing about 10-15cops per week and the academy can’t keep up.
On an average Friday, Sat, Sunday in the outer suburbs each station will be lucky to put out a car (two cops). A lot of those cops are on recalls to make up the numbers (there are currently loads of recalls, so you can make money if you want it). You’ll be with your partner driving around from job to job and good luck getting backup to you quickly (I got sent at 3am to assist a crew fighting at a house party and it took me 30mins flat out to get to them. When we arrived it was 4cops, 40 drunk bogans and a lot of calming everything down). Oh and on Monday morning when District Office has their ‘Morning Prayers’ chat, they’ll be ripping apart how you dealt with each call).

Policing wise expect to probably do what you’re doing now, but with slightly different practices and rules. When you read the Criminal Investigation Act 2006, you’ll be saying “Someone ripped off PACE!”. The best thing over here is that if a suspect wants a lawyer, you hand him a phone book. Good luck buddy, you’re paying for it!

Jobs wise, lots of DV’s, loads of Mental Health jobs, disturbances, stealings ,sudden deaths, etc. Also as GD’a cops you’ll be getting basic investigations. Which means the crap ones, like my neighbours squirted me with his hose.

I don’t want to sound all negative, but make you aware it’s not all beaches and blue skies. I personally can’t wait for UK cops to turn up as they’re good at talking to people and have a sense of humour (Aussies don’t do sarcasm).

You’re definitely needed as we are struggling and moral is low. My advice would be, apply and give it a go and if it doesn’t work out at least you tried.

Definitely try and rent, or stay with friends when you come out. Ask!!!!! the cops at a local station about any suburb or street you’re thinking of renting in, or buying in. Homewest (council houses to you lot) are everywhere but a few select suburbs. Look for sofas on front lawns, burnout marks in the street and random shopping trolleys full of rubbish in the garden. Don’t worry, you’ll get good at spotting them.

Do NOT be tempted to go Regional straight away If you have a family. The culture shock would be to much and you’d hate it. Settle in before tackling that one. There is a reason they pay you big money to work places like Halls Creek.

Anyway, enough ranting. Good luck, go for it and you never know you might love it. I’m still here after 15yrs and about to spend my Sunday morning fishing off Rottnest (excuse the format or errors, I’m waiting for my turn on the boat ramp).

Good luck and remember to bring a cake on your first day.
Mate! Honestly what a bloody brilliant post!! Thank you so much for that. Raw and honest and what people like me need to see. I think it’s very important that we go over with the stark reality that it’s a move not a holiday.

If you weren’t on this forum I would say you were describing any force in the UK. From what I can gather over here, resignations are probably not as high, however moral is lower than a snakes belly here. Resignations aren’t has high as the state of things here re mortgages rates and energy costs spiralling out if control means people will stay in the job for financial security when every fibre in their body is telling them to leave. This is having a downward spiral on mental health in the UK forces.

Also re the number of cars being put out, very similar to here however over here, many are single crewed cars with bobbies attending emergencies alone.

Obviously we have our reasons for wanting to leave the UK and all I can say is we’re incredibly serious about a move over there. My brother has been over there nearly 10 years now we have many friends in WA. That being said, we will leave some assurances in place over here I.E career break with my current force (if that’s allowed) and renting out our house so we could in theory just walk back into our lives here if we needed to.

Thanks again for this post. It was so refreshing to read.
Old Nov 6th 2022, 11:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat126 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was chatting to a colleague at work tonight, who came out here about 10yrs ago and we both agreed that the main reason we’ve both stayed is the lifestyle.

I came out as a single guy and married an Aussie and now have two kids still in school.

With my hand on my heart, there is no way I could possibly have given them the same life they have back in the Uk.
I’m on top rate Connie pay and my wife also works. We are able to put them both through Private schools, live in a good suburb and yes have a pool (it’s over rated and I spend days moaning about it and how it’s like a bloody chemistry project) which they spend a lot of summer in after school.
If you’re an outdoors kind of person there is loads of places to go. I spent two weeks in the bush during the school half term we only met 3 people. If you’re still unsure, google Little Beach WA. I spent the last weekend there… sorry that’s a cheap shot!

Would I go back to the Uk if offered it? No way! I honestly don’t know how you do it. The thought of being unarmed now is just bizarre.

Perth has the best weather in Aus (go north for the heat, go south for cooler weather) and it’s a brilliant place to raise kids. Most of the locals are polite and will buy you a coffee if they see you in a coffee shop and have a chat. If you work at the Optus Stadium you’ll get loads of people approaching you to thank for making them feel safe and they actually mean it.
Even the scumbags you deal with most of the time will chat away with you and they understand it’s just a game. You’ll always have plastic 12yr old gangsters, but if you shout ‘Boo’ they’ll run home to their mum.
Also has anyone mentioned to you that the Police Union here has a load of Holiday homes dotted around the state? You get to bid to stay in them and they’re dirt cheap. Big bonus.

I think Pincher already might have said this, but I’ll say it anyway. The people at recruitment are nice, normal people and will try and get you through as quick as they can. They’re under the pump and will get to you. As frustrating as it is, just be patient. WAPOL would have you here tomorrow if they could, but boxes must be ticked and the immigration department satisfied.

Ill just finish by saying this….
If you love being a copper in the UK, don’t come here. If you like being cold, wet, stay there.
If you’re coming for a lifestyle change, it’s worth the effort. The first couple of years are tough, but nothing worth fighting for is easy.
Stay safe..

Old Nov 6th 2022, 11:35 am
Just Joined

As was already mentioned, so refreshing to hear all what you have said. I have still not heard back from submitting the application, I did however apply 2 weeks after those who have heard(I hope that’s the reason) hahaha

My reason for wanting to move is exactly what you have said, lifestyle and life for my 2 boys who I know will love the adventure, also wanting to do it before they reach secondary school.

I won’t lie, I love being a cop, hence I am still doing it after 18 years and worked within almost every department, from proactive to reactive, serious and complex on a national level. Great but means nothing to me these days when I’m stuck with 100 statements to read, all I want is for the boys to be out playing football/rugby which they are awesome at. I am obviously biased but they are lol.

I have no issues with the job here, have no issues dealing with low level crime, I am still of the opinion that every crime effects people differently so just approach each investigation as if it was my family. I just struggle with the lack of trust and looking over my shoulder, in case I offend someone I work with for reasons not known and I certainly wouldnt have wanted to cause upset on purpose. Seem as I’m sure throughout the country no matter how many years service you have give, no matter how many commendations you have had, when u make a mistake it’s the main focus. Yes I am accountable and yes we should have public confidence, however throughout the roles I have worked with people who have made mistakes, were just that a mistake.

anyway, thank you again. Great to hear from you, hopefully I’ll hear soon and perhaps reach out as you clearly a straight shooter lol
Old Nov 7th 2022, 9:21 am
Just Joined

Morning all, I have had the email today advising I will be going to the next stage. Just wondering if any of you know what this is exactly? Since receiving your first email.

I have read the stages on the “let’s join” web page, it is quite clear but not sure in what way stages are being considered.

thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.